The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 12-24-2002, 10:27 AM

Default One way to learn the fretboard while reducing strain on your hands

I've spent many years learning all kinds of scale, mode, and arpeggio fingerings for guitar. Many of these involve some unusual stretches and what I'd call unconventional finger positions. I have found that playing them on an acoustic guitar really puts a strain on my fretting hand, so I've come up with the following practice methodology.....

I play all the scales, modes, and arpeggios on an electric guitar (usually unplugged). The action is lower, the strings are lighter, overall its just an easier instrument to play. This way I learn the neck while minimizing the strain on my hands.

Then I practice fiddle tunes, flatpicking, jazz chord solos, etc. on my Taylor. This is where I work on my tone technique and strength.

I find that by dividing the practice time between the electric and the acoustic it works well. I'd sum it up like this.....I do most of my mental workout (music theory, etc.) on the electric, but then do the real music on the acoustic.

I've been playing for 35 years and I've come to the point where I need to be pro-active in caring for my hands.

Peace.
Old 12-27-2002, 02:51 AM

Smile Thanx for info

Thanx for the helpful advice! Maybe I shouldn't trade in my electric after all. Having had hand problems, if I actually ever start practicing things like scales, etc. seriously some day I'll try your idea.
Old 12-28-2002, 10:16 PM

I just began playing 6 months ago. I started on an ovation and traded it for a Seagull. After struggling with some bar chords my instructor hand me his Strat during one lesson. I bought it the next week.

Now when I am learning something new that just needs repition I learn it on my strat and then practice/perfect it on my acoustic.

It has made a tremendous difference in the speed of my development. I am not at all interested in mastering electric guitar. It just gives me the ability to learn faster!
Old 12-28-2002, 10:29 PM

Default Re: One way to learn the fretboard while reducing strain on your hands

Quote:
Originally posted by 815C
[
.....I do most of my mental workout (music theory, etc.)

So thats where I've been messing up. I'm s'posed to be thinking while playing!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell