The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 02-23-2024, 03:01 PM

Default Martin C2

RetroFret always has interesting instruments, and here’s one for sure:

https://www.retrofret.com/product.as...ic-Guitar-1937

I know that Martin archtops have at best a mixed reputation and that many (if not most) of the surviving instruments have been converted to flattops.
Old 02-23-2024, 06:53 PM

That is a nice looking C2 at Retrofret. As an avid archtop player, I look forward to someday playing each of the C and F models....if there are any left unconverted. I did own a '31 R18(roundhole), and it was a delightful sounding and playing instrument. I currently own a '30's Regal copy of a C1 roundhole: it too is a fine guitar.
I think the biggest flaw with Martin archtops may simply be that they lend themselves to conversion(unlike Epiphone or Gibson archtops), making them fall victim to those who don't play archtops anyway, and don't appreciate them for what they are.
Old 03-20-2024, 09:27 PM

Regal factory in Chicago hogged out the tops for the Martin C-1's; I own and play a 1932 Regal Custom built...

1932 Regal Archtop Custom Built Chicago

Western Red Cedar top with 4"round sound hole & elevated pick guard, Honduran Mahogany back, sides, neck & slotted headstock with Rosewood inlay, ebony fretboard & bridge, 20 frets (14 frets to body) Tusq nut (1 3/4") & bridge, restored & rebraced in 2011 by myself, 8 coats of super blonde shellac (French Polish) , 25.5" scale. Lower bout is 4 1/4" deep so big bass response, high E intonates perfectly at 12th fret.

Inherited from my father in 1972, I play this sweetheart almost every day, mostly Finger style or Flat picking. Plays well with D' Darrio lites phosphour bronze or Nylons.

Some body cracks (repaired) but otherwise solid & straight.

Not bad for 92 YEARS OLD!

Image at:

https://www.instagram.com/p/C4wP3BIvugw/
Old 03-21-2024, 06:48 AM

[QUOTE=RADJJD;7430820]Regal factory in Chicago hogged out the tops for the Martin C-1's; I own and play a 1932 Regal Custom built...

1932 Regal Archtop Custom Built Chicago

Western Red Cedar top with 4"round sound hole & elevated pick guard, Honduran Mahogany back, sides, neck & slotted headstock with Rosewood inlay, ebony fretboard & bridge, 20 frets (14 frets to body) Tusq nut (1 3/4") & bridge, restored & rebraced in 2011 by myself."

Interesting! I assumed these guitars(including my own) had spruce tops,I'll have to look again. Why did you rebrace it, and did you copy the original bracing?
Old 03-21-2024, 06:49 PM

The main reason C1's were refit to flat tops was soundboard implosion due to extremely light (1/4" spruce) X bracing. The tops cracked down the centre lines of the Cedar due to heavy string tension & the long scale (25.5").

When I restored my 1932 Regal I installed handcrafted modern Martin style bracing.

Pics are on Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/C4y7tKJP...RlODBiNWFlZA==

Thanks
Old 04-09-2024, 08:35 PM

Always nice to see a thread about C-2s! I have
a 1931 roundhole that I love. It looks like the Retrofret
one is sold, btw.

Cool to learn about the Regals - I did not know
about them.

One thing, the Martin C-2 definitely has a spruce
top. It does have surprisingly petite X braces
in the carved top. Small but mighty -- they
are doing their job, no issues after 93 years 😊.

Anyone else have one of these?

Cheers.

-kb

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops