The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-15-2022, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Default New Mojotone Day Part 2

My new Mojotone NC-1 arrived this afternoon and I played it for two hours in my Martin GP-28e, alternating with the Matrix Enhance that's in that guitar now.

I'm going to put the Mojotone in my Martin J-17 but today I wanted to compare it to the Matrix that I like a lot, played directly into my LB mini. I also have a JJB in my GPRSG, which I like but I like the Matrix much better.

One thing I found out is that the Mojotone is much more scooped than the other two pickups. With the other two, I boost both the bass and highs. With the Mojotone I set them flat and boosted the mids. It was easy to get the sound that I wanted.

I had wanted to try one of these last year but they were out of stock when I was looking for one, and some people were posting online that they were having problems with the Mojotone. Hopefully, the problems are behind them because it sounds great to me.

I'm not worried about drilling the endpin hole on the J-17 and after that it will take about 5 minutes to permanently install the pickup. It should be nice, I'm very happy with the Mojotone NC-1 so far.

Last edited by lowrider; 06-21-2022 at 04:32 PM.
Old 06-15-2022, 07:12 PM

The MojoTone people are the coolest bunch of guitar geek cats there is! They can’t do enough to make you a happy customer! Good luck with your new piece of gear. Can’t wait for a review.
Old 06-21-2022, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

Default New Mojotone Day pt2

I finally got the Mojotone permanently installed in my J-17;

With the black on the top of the guitar, it really kind of just blends in, but man does this pickup sound great. The word I think of is presence. It's just really out front. To me, it doesn't sound electric at all. You know the saying ''my guitar only louder''? This PU makes it ''my guitar only better''

I've never played any other soundhole pickups. That's not true, I did try a couple that were on guitars at GC and I thought they sounded awful! And I've only played this one through my Loudbox mini, but I like Mojotone much better than either of the other two that I have; a JJB in my Martin GPCRSG or the Fishman Matrix Enhance in my GP-28e. And I don't hear any change in the acoustic sound. The Mojo is very light, I guess that's why it doesn't affect the acoustic sound.

It did surprise me that it took almost 2 hours to install from taking off the old strings to drilling (I have bits that graduated by 64ths so I had no issues drilling), to installing the output jack ( I fed a wire through the hole and tied a piece of fishing line to it, then the other end to the PU and pulled it through.

I know that some people don't like soundhole pickups, but this one is a real winner!

Last edited by lowrider; 06-21-2022 at 05:11 PM.
Old 06-21-2022, 04:02 PM

I'm one of those who really dislike magnetic pickups on acoustic guitars but would love to love them due to the positive aspects you describe, it's the negatives I have a problem with.

I'll certainly have a listen to some examples of this where I can.

Am I right in thinking you have nickel strings on the guitar?
Old 06-21-2022, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

Looks great on your J17 lowrider. I had the Mojotone and I did like it, it's a very nice sounding pickup. But I returned it because I needed a pickup I could move between 2 guitars. While you can do that with the Mojotone, but because the cable is attached to the pickup, it wasn't convenient for me. I wanted something with a plug into the pickup, so I went with the Baggs M80.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 06-22-2022, 04:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
I'm one of those who really dislike magnetic pickups on acoustic guitars but would love to love them due to the positive aspects you describe, it's the negatives I have a problem with.

I'll certainly have a listen to some examples of this where I can.

Am I right in thinking you have nickel strings on the guitar?
No, I have EJ16's on it. It came with Martin phos/bronze and I tried Monels when I first changed the strings. The guitar was inspired by the DSS-17 which comes with Monels, so I wanted to try them on it. I kept them on it for 3 weeks but they just never seemed to settle down.

It sounds great with EJ16's both plugged and unplugged. I'll be keeping them on it.

I don't see any negatives with this pickup except the look. It sounds fantastic!
Old 06-22-2022, 04:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
Looks great on your J17 lowrider. I had the Mojotone and I did like it, it's a very nice sounding pickup. But I returned it because I needed a pickup I could move between 2 guitars. While you can do that with the Mojotone, but because the cable is attached to the pickup, it wasn't convenient for me. I wanted something with a plug into the pickup, so I went with the Baggs M80.
I agree, the Mojo isn't really practical for playing with the wire hanging out of the soundhole. The heavy output jack swinging in mid-air feels like an accident waiting to happen.

Maybe they could make an alternate model with a long cable and a plug for moving between guitars
Old 06-22-2022, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post

I don't see any negatives with this pickup except the look. It sounds fantastic!
Maybe you and i are from different generations, but i think it makes your guitar look KILLER!!
frank d.
Old 06-22-2022, 07:28 AM
Charter Member

I'm with you Chickee, I think the guitar looks great with or without it. I just think others might not like the look of a soundhole pickup

Right now with the Mojotone permanently settled in my J-17, i have the LB Mini set at; base flat, mid boosted just a little, treble cut a little.

To me, it sounds great!
Old 06-23-2022, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Final post for now on this. I played it for an hour this morning unplugged and it still sounds great, the PU didn't affect the unplugged sound. I'll be playing it plugged in again later and I know it will sound glorious!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification