The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-26-2022, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
Hi eyesore, a compressor reduces dynamic range. By bringing down the peak values, you give yourself more headroom to bring up the overall signal level (so the quieter parts can be louder).

It is that "make up gain" which makes a sound louder, not the act of compression.

In other words, when you use the compressor, it will "squash" (for lack of better word) your signal and you use the gain to make up the loss of volume.

Hope this helps.
thanks Joe, would you suggest using it for a "fingerpicker"? I kind of mute the strings with the palm of my right hand anyway.
Old 06-26-2022, 07:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
thanks Joe, would you suggest using it for a "fingerpicker"? I kind of mute the strings with the palm of my right hand anyway.
Personally, I think it would be very helpful for fingerstyle. You don't have to dig in as much, and all notes pop out equally. I use a comp as a boost to solo over a loop, and also use it for fingerpicking. The Fishman comp is pretty transparent and doesn't color the sound too much. Hope this helps.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ

Last edited by jricc; 06-26-2022 at 07:48 AM.
Old 06-27-2022, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
Personally, I think it would be very helpful for fingerstyle. You don't have to dig in as much, and all notes pop out equally. I use a comp as a boost to solo over a loop, and also use it for fingerpicking. The Fishman comp is pretty transparent and doesn't color the sound too much. Hope this helps.
ok ;do you feel that it cuts your volume? i feel that the more i turn that comp. knob the more it cuts more volume...?
Old 06-27-2022, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
ok ;do you feel that it cuts your volume? i feel that the more i turn that comp. knob the more it cuts more volume...?
Yes it does, but I use the gain to get the volume back to where it was. I don't have the Fishman Pro. I do have the Fishman Tonedeq which has the compressor, you would use the volume knob on the Pro to get your volume level up.

I'm not sure of how you want your guitar to sound, but the more you turn the compressor up, the more it is going to squash your signal/volume. I use my compressor on the Tonedeq at about 11 o clock. It is subtle, but it smooths things out for me.

Hope this helps.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification