The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-13-2001, 11:37 AM

Post anyone gone wireless?

I just saw a banner ad for a wireless setup for electric guitar, for the lowlow price of $169. Do these rigs sacrifice much in terms of tone and what-not? It's hard to believe a signal from a guitar could emerge from being converted to radio and back without going downhill. The world is going wireless, it seems.
Old 05-14-2001, 11:23 AM
Bob Womack

Cool

I haven't used a wireless guitar system, but my firm works with wireless mics all day everyday so I have some info which maybe useful to you. Something to think about:

The frequencies and bands now being use by the wireless mics and guitars have not been approved or licensed by the FCC. The makers of these systems have just sorta "squatted" on those Freq.s. What's the problem? Depending on the signal density of a particular area, the new DTV transmission standards place some stations in those Freq. bands by the year 2006. You'll need to make sure you get a "Frequency-agile" and "Band-agile" system or you may wake up out of luck one day.

In a meeting between broadcasters and the FCC, the question was asked, "Are you concerned because there are literally THOUSANDS of wireless systems, including mics and intercoms, in New York City's Theater district alone, which transmit in the bands soon to be occupied by digital TV?" {Note: A broadway show may use as many as seventy or eighty of these devices.}

FCC: "They are not a concern to the FCC because not one of those systems is a government-licensed broadcast application."

Yahoo! Change is a-comin'...

Bob

[ 05-14-2001: Message edited by: Bob Womack ]
Old 05-15-2001, 02:26 PM

Just remember all the trouble Nigel Tufnel had with his wireless!
Old 05-15-2001, 02:59 PM
Bob Womack

Talking

I was thinking of putting in a reference to Nigel but was afraid it would be too obscure...

Bob
Old 05-15-2001, 03:07 PM

Cool

Ive used the wireless mic along with a wireless transmitter on my electrics. I found that in some instances with the wireless transmitter on the guitar moving around created some very light static in the guitar but in a crowd you will never hear it. The wireless microphones are super and while using my electrics when moving fast across the stage they can be a priceless tresure(If youve ever triped your way off the front of the stage with a 2500 dollar guitar you know what im talking about) I think both are great but the guitar transmitter could be better. Im sure it will be the wave of the future. You might even be able to check your stocks and go online while you play. LOL!! JW
Old 05-15-2001, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Womack:
<STRONG>I was thinking of putting in a reference to Nigel but was afraid it would be too obscure...

Bob</STRONG>
You would have been right, generally!

~ Paul
If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Romans 12:18

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification