The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-04-2022, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

+2 for the mini stand Mick notes. I too use this one with my S1 for smaller rooms and it works great.
Old 08-04-2022, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Mick View Post
With the speaker at the height the OP described, I believe he is using a full size speaker stand to get it up there. Those things eat up a ton of real estate on the stage. I believe finding a way to eliminate that stand or move to a compact speaker stand will help a lot with the available room on stage to get everything set up. I use this one with my Bose S1 Pro for times I need to elevate the speaker a bit, but most of the time I place it a few feet behind me in the upright and tilted back position.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-speaker-stand
I have a full size stand, but I can make the footprint as small as I want as long as it's stable. You don't have to spread the legs out as wide as it goes. So maybe a more compact speaker stand would help a little.
Old 08-04-2022, 02:46 PM
Charter Member

I had a weekly gig in a tiny restaurant which was always packed. I used my SA220 which worked out very well.

You can see it over my right shoulder sitting nice & high, and, you can see that I am about 6" in front of it. And, because of its design, it projected to the other side of the room without blowing out the dinners righ in front of me.

Steve
Old 08-04-2022, 02:57 PM

One thing I’ve done with my EV30M is to put it some other place in the room. That way I can get enough space away from it to hear the highs. I use wireless on the mic and the guitar, so there is no tripping over cables.
Old 08-04-2022, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
One thing I’ve done with my EV30M is to put it some other place in the room. That way I can get enough space away from it to hear the highs. I use wireless on the mic and the guitar, so there is no tripping over cables.
There have been some rooms I play were the wireless is unusable due to all the Wi-Fi interference. Some rooms its dead quiet. The weird thing is my cheap guitar wireless system is always fine....its the XLR one that usually picks up noise and interference. Its the Lekato/Joyo XLR unit. My ZXK wirelss guitar unit is never a problem. They are both 5.8Ghz
Old 08-07-2022, 06:28 AM

Perhaps try a headset mic.
Old 08-08-2022, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
What wireless system do you use? I have the joyo wireless mic adapter and in about 50% of my venues I get interference which makes it unusable.
Old 08-08-2022, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

Figuring out how to get the speakers away from the body of the guitar and mic is the best cure I know of... I've done gigs in tight places where I've put the speaker on a stand off the stage, canted so the cone of dispersion covers the room and I'm just on the edge of that cone - so I can still hear myself fully without taking the full brunt of the volume level I'm using...

I'd do this on a few gigs, back when I had a conventional PA... wasn't perfect but a LOT less prone to feedback. Now, with my Bose L1 Model II, I can put it just about anywhere, so long as the room and where I'm sitting is within the 180 degree dispersion pattern... I get the same great, even sound throughout the room, and I can hear myself easily, and at the same volume level as the audience.
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 08-10-2022, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Conquistador View Post
I had a weekly gig in a tiny restaurant which was always packed. I used my SA220 which worked out very well.

You can see it over my right shoulder sitting nice & high, and, you can see that I am about 6" in front of it. And, because of its design, it projected to the other side of the room without blowing out the dinners righ in front of me.

Steve
Hi Steve,I use the same setup . My problem is feedback if I were that close. But with your setup ;I don't see a vocal mic. I think thats what gives me a problem at small gigs. [and my volume is very low!]. Nice picture sir!
Old 08-10-2022, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
Hi Steve,I use the same setup . My problem is feedback if I were that close. But with your setup ;I don't see a vocal mic. I think thats what gives me a problem at small gigs. [and my volume is very low!]. Nice picture sir!
It really helps to position yourself so that your head is between the speaker and the vocal mic.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 08-10-2022, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Mick View Post
It really helps to position yourself so that your head is between the speaker and the vocal mic.

… and then once you have blocked the feedback with your head…never move it! ;-)
Old 08-10-2022, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
I had to play a gig this weekend and my setup space was very tight and I had no choice but to put my speaker almost directly behind me above head height. My entire area was about 5'x5'. I was having feedback problems between the mic and speaker whenever I turned up the volume to a decent level. I am using a Sennheiser E935 and the JBL Compact. Would a mic with a tighter pattern help? Any solutions other than going wireless and putting the speaker in another spot away from me?
I'm another fan of the 935 and one thing you can do when unable to move the speaker to one side or the other is to go higher with it and flatten the mic so that it's more horizontal, or place the speaker lower behind you and angle the mic upwards. Anything to misalign the mic and speaker.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 08-11-2022, 04:45 AM
Charter Member

A few years ago I did an art gallery in the city.

Supposedly, was to have sound system in place.

I show up, guitar and cable in hand.

Sound system consisted of a loud box mini. No microphone.

I chose to do without. Sat on a stool, Played and sang, au natural.

Did about 3.5 hours. Had a great time.

Being an art gallery, I opened with Don Mclaen's Vincent.
Old 08-11-2022, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nama Ensou View Post
I'm another fan of the 935 and one thing you can do when unable to move the speaker to one side or the other is to go higher with it and flatten the mic so that it's more horizontal, or place the speaker lower behind you and angle the mic upwards. Anything to misalign the mic and speaker.
those are great ideas...thanks. I think angling the mic upwards and putting the speaker on the floor might get more separation than vice versa.

On a side note...I picked up a Audix OM3 for a great price for gigs like this. It's supposed to have a tight polar pattern and be very resistant to feedback. I think with that mic and some of the tips posted here earlier I should be good to go next time I have this issue.
Old 08-11-2022, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
I think angling the mic upwards and putting the speaker on the floor might get more separation than vice versa.

On a side note...I picked up a Audix OM3 for a great price for gigs like this. It's supposed to have a tight polar pattern and be very resistant to feedback. I think with that mic and some of the tips posted here earlier I should be good to go next time I have this issue.
I agree about going with the floor location and only mentioned the high option because of my experiences with crowded dance floors soaking up all the sound, which is generally not an issue when we're playing as acoustic solo acts.

Most of my mics are hypercardioid/supercardioid and they really do work a lot better in feedback prone settings, but my 935 has become my present favorite over the past year. If you need to check out any other tight pattern mics, my main ones have been the older 845, Audio Technica AE-6100 and although a standard cardioid pattern, the Heil PR35 does very well in feedback rejection too, and is a great choice for its open, clear sound traits.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification