The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-25-2022, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaurysMusic View Post
I agree about the seat. I suspect the sonitone undersaddle element is very inexpensive at the wholesale level. The entire package of UST, VT wheels, futuristic battery/endjack and muting tuner - that's another story. My point was just that if Martin came out with a better electronics package & raised the price by $300, some players might still be unhappy with that system too. For those who want an Anthem or Trance or (insert here) - it's not like Martin has to build it in.
I wish Martin would have spent the extra $$$ on a better pickup and not a tuner. Firstly, the tuner is horrible. It's slow to respond and jumps around like crazy. Not great for live use when you need to retune fast. If you go to the SC13 facebook group, everyone talks about how bad the tuner is. Second, if you want to replace the pickup, say goodbye to the tuner, so what good is it? Martin has a great idea here when it comes to playability and the new cutaway design....they just dropped the ball on the pickup side of things. If you want to let us put in what we want, then sell it with an output jack hole and with no electronics inside.
Old 01-25-2022, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

Wish they made them in short scale and at least 2 1/4” string spacing at the bridge...then maybe.
Eastman T386SB
Aria Sinsonido AS-100C/SPL (customized to steel string)
Mid 1930’s Kay Kraft Deluxe K2 archtop
Seagull S12 converted to 6 string lap slide
Takamine TF740FS
2008 Pono PGKC (flamed Hawaiian Koa 0 cutaway)
Old 01-25-2022, 04:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanpatten View Post
I think it's overpriced for what it is. As others have said, it's clearly targeted to a different market than folks here. I played a SC-13e at my local shop a few months ago and it was a very fun guitar to play. Would make an excellent gigging guitar for those who have to have the Martin name.

Of course other companies do it better, etc. But it's a Martin.
Can you give us an example of another guitar company that is making a guitar like this one and doing it better?
Old 01-25-2022, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Normally yes, but this system is not very easy to replace. I have done it myself twice. I would rather they just put the simple Sonitone in there. That would have made for a very simple swap. The tuner and the rest of the assembly makes it rather cumbersome to change out. Also the bracing makes it difficult for the Anthem's true mic to go where it's supposed to. You have the plastic battery housing of the MXT system and it's output jack hole, which you must reuse. Again, it's not easy to get a different system's output jack to fit securely in that same spot. If you have tried to swap out this system yourself, you would understand what I am talking about. It's not as simple as saying "just put what pickup you want in there". reason why almost no one is doing it and the SC13e has been out fThere's a or a year now.

Like others have said....I'm not sure why Martin is so focused on these other fancy woods for the back and sides and one new burst finish? You don't look at the back....the audience doesn't see the back. Who cares? Again....this was designed as a stage guitar. Why give it the worst possible pickup? It's like designing a brilliant race car, but putting cheap Continental street tires on it.
I think the reason the people aren't rushing to swap out the PU is that they are satisfied with the sound that they are getting. This guitar is aimed at the electric player. They're not familiar yet with great acoustic or plugged-in acoustic tone. Give them time. Electric players aren't afraid to mod. Once they start hearing what a good pickup can sound like, they'll be ripping the MxT out and putting in a good pickup.

Another thing, one of our more experienced players suggested playing it through an electric amp. I wouldn't be surprised if that's where some of these are getting plugged in. Have you ever tried it through one?
Old 01-25-2022, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

A couple of people have asked about installing the Anthem on the SC-13e so I took a few pictures of mine. I tried a video clip but couldn’t post that. Anyway I bought this from Sweetwater and they swapped it out so I don’t have any special expertise here but hopefully the pictures help.
IMG_7068.jpg
IMG_7065.jpg
IMG_7066.jpg
--------
Past: Bourgeois JOMC; Collings OM2T & CJ; Larrivee LV-05; Lowden O-50c, F-50c & F-35c; Martin CS 00c; RainSong V-WX1000; Taylor 814ce, 512e & T5
Old 01-25-2022, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
I think the reason the people aren't rushing to swap out the PU is that they are satisfied with the sound that they are getting. This guitar is aimed at the electric player. They're not familiar yet with great acoustic or plugged-in acoustic tone. Give them time. Electric players aren't afraid to mod. Once they start hearing what a good pickup can sound like, they'll be ripping the MxT out and putting in a good pickup.

Another thing, one of our more experienced players suggested playing it through an electric amp. I wouldn't be surprised if that's where some of these are getting plugged in. Have you ever tried it through one?
I have not, but I can't imagine it would sound better through an electric amp. I think I have seem some folks on Youtube do that and it didn't sound great.
Old 01-25-2022, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardsrback View Post
A couple of people have asked about installing the Anthem on the SC-13e so I took a few pictures of mine. I tried a video clip but couldn’t post that. Anyway I bought this from Sweetwater and they swapped it out so I don’t have any special expertise here but hopefully the pictures help.
Interesting. Thanks for posting pics of the install! So they put the True-mic piece in front of the bridge attached directly to the top. How much extra does Sweetwater charge to do the pickup install for you? Did they reuse the battery compartment with the Anthem? I imagine they also had to remove the tuner?

Are you happy with the plugged in sound with the Anthem? Did you mess with the tiny screw that gives you the mic level?
Old 01-25-2022, 11:43 PM

What do you guys think of the neck attachment system?

Comments about this being for gigging musicians got me thinking.

The linear dovetail bolt-on system, neck angle shims, intonation adjustment, etc., might make service relatively quick compared to a traditional neck system.

I deal with high-end computer equipment service. Easily serviced gear means quicker turnaround and less downtime.

Anyway, I find it interesting from a serviceability and engineering perspective. I’d love to hear what those who repair guitars think about it.

-Tim-
Old 01-27-2022, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
I think the reason the people aren't rushing to swap out the PU is that they are satisfied with the sound that they are getting. This guitar is aimed at the electric player. They're not familiar yet with great acoustic or plugged-in acoustic tone.
With all respect, it’s an absolutely ridiculous assertion to suggest that electric players don’t appreciate good acoustic tone. Good tone is good tone - that is, if you’re a musician worth your salt and with any experience.

Your statement might hold more water if you’re referring to beginner players.

As for the stock pickups in these, for live use a Tonedexter or similar device can go a long way toward improving the tone.
Old 01-27-2022, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTiimm View Post
What do you guys think of the neck attachment system?

Comments about this being for gigging musicians got me thinking.

The linear dovetail bolt-on system, neck angle shims, intonation adjustment, etc., might make service relatively quick compared to a traditional neck system.
It's a great idea, but why not give us customers the tools to adjust the neck ourselves? Who wants to bring their guitar into a shop just for a string action tweak? Also, there aren't many techs around yet that know how to work on this unique and new neck system. Why not empower those that want to work on their guitars themselves?
Old 01-27-2022, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geewhiz View Post
As for the stock pickups in these, for live use a Tonedexter or similar device can go a long way toward improving the tone.
So now you have to spend another $400 after getting a "revolutionary guitar built for the stage" to get a good live sound? So now we're up to over $2400 if you choose the Special burst model.
Old 01-27-2022, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
So now you have to spend another $400 after getting a "revolutionary guitar built for the stage" to get a good live sound? So now we're up to over $2400 if you choose the Special burst model.
I completely see your point and I don’t disagree, but plenty of pros spend that $400 to get optimal tone from their rig, some of which have arguably "better" pickups than the SC13e. It’s just one solution to a problem, and maybe not the right one for everyone .
Old 01-31-2022, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geewhiz View Post
I completely see your point and I don’t disagree, but plenty of pros spend that $400 to get optimal tone from their rig, some of which have arguably "better" pickups than the SC13e. It’s just one solution to a problem, and maybe not the right one for everyone .
FWIW, I have never seen any local live acoustic performers in my area (Atlanta) using a Tonedexter. Maybe real Pro's with recording contracts, but not working musicians who usually don't have lots to spend on equipment.
Old 01-31-2022, 09:12 AM

Maury's music has posting some videos recently comparing these new SC13s to the original model and I'm not hearing much differences anywhere. He did one comparing pickups, with the Fishman MXT vs the Baggs Element and they both sounding not great. Neither one was noticeably better than the other, which surprised me, since I always felt the Element was better sounding than the Sonitone. Then he did one just comparing the acoustic sound of the original Koa veneer SC13e to the new Special model with it's Ziricote veneer and again, was very hard to distinguish any noticeable differences and I listened with headphones. Hard to justify the extra cost of these new models when there isn't any sonic upgrade. Upgrades seem purely cosmetic to me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion