The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-20-2018, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

Default Guitar lessons for music interpretation?

Is there such a thing? Not the "put your finger there" then "do this" kind of lessons, but how to play what is there better, timing issues, notation interpretation, etc.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-20-2018, 11:33 AM
AGF Sponsor

Barry,
Are you asking for someone you’d pay, to critique your playing, writing, arranging, etc, plus give you ideas on how to ‘improve’ what you’ve already got?

Regards,
Howard
Old 06-20-2018, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

I'd expect any in-person lessons to do exactly that, at least for any player at or beyond an intermediate level. For beginners, lessons usually focus on basics, how to finger chords and so on. Intermediate and up I'd expect to focus on all aspects of playing music. These tend to be individual issues, hard for a general you tube video or DVD lessons to address in the abstract, tho there certainly are mass-lessons that attempt to do this. But it'd be a lot better to be able to do this sort of thing 1-1, either in person or over skype. There are plenty of instructors out there who can do that (Howard, for example, who just replied). Even Al Petteway (since that's who you're currently focused on) will sometimes do skype lessons, if I'm not mistaken.
Old 06-20-2018, 12:15 PM

I have definitely done this with students! I think any good teacher would know what you're talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 06-20-2018, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
Barry,
Are you asking for someone you’d pay, to critique your playing, writing, arranging, etc, plus give you ideas on how to ‘improve’ what you’ve already got?

Regards,
Howard
Yes, along those lines.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-20-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Is there such a thing? Not the "put your finger there" then "do this" kind of lessons, but how to play what is there better, timing issues, notation interpretation, etc.
Excellent question. In my personal journey into and through the musical universe, I've picked this up from other musicians with whom I've played and worked pretty much by "concious osmosis".

Now that I've been primarily a solo player for the past two decades, I've taken advantage of the advent of YouTube, MySpace (when it was) and other online resources to do what I used to do by buying a half-dozen different records with the same tune by different artists: compare and contrast. Hearing the same tune by Chet Atkins, Nat King Cole, Joe Pass, Ray Charles and the Nashville Grass gives a lot of different ideas as to tempo, dynamics, phrasing and arrangement.

Additionally, listening to the msical arrangements behind the popular recorded music through the years will be enlightening. The backing for Crosby, Fitzgerald, Page, Sinatra and a host of others is a virtual textbook of inestimable value to any serious guitarist.
And check out Mickey Bakers books. Triads over anchor tones (bass lines). Online, follow Tim Lerch on YouTube. He also does Skype lessons.

https://www.youtube.com/user/telebasher

Go for it.

Edit:

Learning to scat doesn't hurt. Listen to Satchmo and Ella. Additionally, pick ONE solid number and learn to play it in different styles, modes, keys, time signatures. One map can lead to a lot of different places...

Theory is the post mortem of Music.

Last edited by Wyllys; 06-20-2018 at 03:29 PM.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Reading the Dummies guide book to music theory and the Dummies guide book to music composing couldn't hurt. How musical pieces are put together and some of the theory as to why may help you in your listening skill and analysis and in your own composing.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 06-20-2018, 04:23 PM

I think the question revolves around yet another desire to cut to the chase without experiencing the fret board's nuances, chordal implications, scale compositions, embellishments, patterns, etc., and the all-important ear development that makes it all work.

Time, involvement in melody development from the seat of the pants (inner ear), and much experimenting using current skills to prompt their further development is not something that can be formulated, outlined and presented in a formal manner that provides that ah-so revelation. One must become immersed in the music that is wholly unrelated to tabs or scores and 100% self-creative. There is no other meaningful path to discovery.
Old 06-20-2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
I think the question revolves around yet another desire to cut to the chase without experiencing the fret board's nuances, chordal implications, scale compositions, embellishments, patterns, etc., and the all-important ear development that makes it all work.
I think the answer to the question is to study MUSIC, composition, harmonization and arrangement and (secondarily) then learn how to express it on/with the instrument of choice...in this case the guitar. Approaching it the other way 'round might be a bit backward, but I'm speaking in hindsight now.

Quote:
1. Time, involvement in melody development from the seat of the pants (inner ear), and much experimenting using current skills to prompt their further development is not something that can be formulated, outlined and presented in a formal manner that provides that ah-so revelation.

2. One must become immersed in the music that is wholly unrelated to tabs or scores and 100% self-creative. There is no other meaningful path to discovery.
1 and 2 are not mutually exclusive. In addition, I cannot agree with statement 1. Consumate musicians can certainly formulate, outline and present eloquent and inspiring presentations. For example, any of the videos of Jimmy Rainey on his son Johns YouTube channel are exquisite gems of musical and creative insight into the learning process and improvisational performance.

For a start:

https://youtu.be/f29a1RL2ly0

Old 06-20-2018, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

I'm thinking that maybe when I retire I'll take some kind of lessons, either online or in person. I need some feed back on what I'm doing other than my own ears. I tend to give myself an "A" for effort a lot and the listener may have a different opinion, lol.

Maybe we can have another section in the forum where people post soundclips or whole songs for critical review or maybe do it here in play and write. Show and tell usually just pats you on the head more or less most of the time. I don't mean that in a bad way its just that guitar players understand what it takes to record and post something and a critical eye (ear, lol) usually isn't forthcoming there.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-20-2018, 07:06 PM

Just post and ask for feedback. I'll gladly help out.

Old 06-20-2018, 07:17 PM

The key for me has been to listen...listen until I'm so full of the tune that it comes out my ears. After that, accept what comes out of the guitar under my hands when the Music plays me. Let it happen rather than make it happen.

Listen. Accept. Find delight in every note.

Old 06-20-2018, 08:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Just post and ask for feedback. I'll gladly help out.
Thanks Jeff. It'd be good to hear "you're screwing up this section at (time reference) a bit" once in a while,

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-20-2018, 08:53 PM

Right?

I've figured, based on the lack of feedback on my videos--that one of three things is happening:

1. I'm the greatest ever
2. I'm so bad and delusional, people are just nice out of pity.

Or 3. I look scary and folks don't want to tick me off

But seriously, post away...it'll be great to get some conversation going here about actually playing these darn instruments we love so much.

Old 06-20-2018, 09:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
<snip>...it'll be great to get some conversation going here about actually playing these darn instruments we love so much.<snip>
Yes. Yes it would.

Mark
Guitars; Esteban -"Tribute to Paula Abdul L.E." Arturo Fuente- Cigar Box"Hand Made" First Act-"Diamond Bling" Main Street- "Flaming Acoustic" Silvertone-"Paul Stanley Dark Star" Daisy Rock- "Purple Daze"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write