The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-19-2018, 08:32 AM

Default PayPal Friends?

I'm not trying to start a flame war, but I find it somewhat dis-concerting that some folks want to start a business transaction by asking you to basically be dis-honest. What I'm referring to is the practice of sellers asking folks to use 'PayPal family and friends' when buying something.
Your thoughts?
Old 06-19-2018, 08:37 AM

I have never once asked a buyer to do it and I never will but if it's someone buying from me asks to do it or if it's actually someone I know, trust etc.. I definitely do it. It saves 4% and I'm happy splitting that with the buyer. If a seller asks me to do it, I typically decline unless I know/trust them.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:38 AM

I'm under the impression that if you send money using the Family & Friends option, then you waive all buyer protections that Paypal has in place. If everything goes well, great, but if not you're screwed.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
I'm not trying to start a flame war, but I find it somewhat dis-concerting that some folks want to start a business transaction by asking you to basically be dis-honest. What I'm referring to is the practice of sellers asking folks to use 'PayPal family and friends' when buying something.
Your thoughts?
My thoughts: ethical issues aside of cheating Paypal out of their commission on your sale, people who get ripped off or want to rip someone off use Paypal friends in a business transaction.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

All of my transactions with the pick business are through PayPal. I will gladly pay the fees to get the protection. Same with buying something, if I don't know the person I'll bump the amount I'm paying a few dollars and skip using the friends and family option. If you don't actually know the person you're doing the transaction with, then you're leaving yourself wide open by doing the friends and family thing.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 06-19-2018, 08:48 AM

You would be correct...they are just trying to "cheat the system" out of user fees...for using the service...*cough, cough*...but at the potential cost of the buyers purchase security through Paypal if something goes amiss.

And there are old threads her on the AGF...a plenty...about deals that went sideways and the buyer got hosed because they used Paypal friends.

The folks trying to get you to use Paypal F&F are the same kinda folks who when they play golf, and the shot they hit comes to land in a bad...but legal...lie in the fairway...they take their club and nudge the ball around until they get a really nice "sitting up" lie...and then they play the next shot as if nothing just happened.

Caveat Emptor...those people...

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher...Nor A Cheater
Old 06-19-2018, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

There are certain costs in doing business, and having PayPal as a way to send and receive payment AND have protection is a good way to do business. I don't begrudge them their fee for making transactions possible and safer.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:02 AM

I've also noticed a recent upswing in the number of sellers stating they want to sell using F&F...

It's dishonest...whether the seller is sketchy, or just trying to save the small % fee, I haven't and won't do business under those conditions...

If you'll cheat PP, you just might cheat me...

Sellers, think about the message you're putting out there...
Old 06-19-2018, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
...I find it somewhat dis-concerting that some folks want to start a business transaction by asking you to basically be dis-honest. What I'm referring to is the practice of sellers asking folks to use 'PayPal family and friends' when buying something.
Your thoughts?
My thought is that I agree 100%.....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 06-19-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Your thoughts?
I consider PayPal fees "a cost of doing business," and don't ask for "friends & family" payment.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

If someone is not a friend or family, I do not pay them as friends or family.

Pretty simple. I understand them wanting to save money but I won't make an expensive purchase without that as a modicum of protection.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240

Last edited by fazool; 06-19-2018 at 05:05 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Your thoughts?
I have passed up a number of purchases in the classifieds here because the seller had that stipulation. How then can you trust the seller to be honest about what you're purchasing? I agree completely with the OP.

Tom
Old 06-19-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:

Your thoughts?

Yes, it’s both dishonest & unwise. Other forums actually ban the practice.
Cordoba C-10
Martin 000-15
... and a few others ...
Old 06-19-2018, 04:52 PM

If someone is willing to cheat PayPal to save a few bucks, what assurances do I have that you won't cheat me? I don't buy from anyone who wants to use F&F and with everything I sell I say, "shipped, insured, PayPal fees covered" in my listing.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:13 PM
Charter Member

I was looking to sell a guitar and a buyer stepped up and made an offer. I believe he was an AGF member. I counter offered and he came back with an offer and the PayPal friends thing. I was nervous about not having the EBay protections anyway so at that point it was not going to happen as far as I was concerned. I was a little surprised he asked that as most of us AGF guys have read these posts about it. He latter came back and said forget the PayPal friends thing and I didn't even answer him.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic