The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-18-2018, 02:51 PM

According to the USGA official Saturday the DQ option does not apply if the infraction is covered by a other rule. Therefore the 2 stroke penalty.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:21 PM

This incident will go on Phil's Permanent Record. It could prevent him from getting another job.

2005 Gibson J-45
1985 Guild D17
2012 Fender Am. Std. Stratocaster
1997 Guild Bluesbird
Old 06-18-2018, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Spivey View Post
This incident will go on Phil's Permanent Record. It could prevent him from getting another job.
That is hilarious
Old 06-18-2018, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

My first thought, upon seeing this live, was that he should be disqualified... I was actually shocked by the ruling of only 2 strokes.

Rule 1-2, note A, says it all... Phil did what he did to gain a clear advantage (by not having to hit the shot again from where he started in the first place); clearly a DQ infraction.

Doesn't matter who the player is or what his (perceived) "status" is in the game, it is grounds for disqualification, without doubt.

As a lifetime golfer who has entertained the thought of becoming a professional (once when I was 15 and a scratch player, later when I was in my mid-forties thinking about the Senior Tour), I was embarrassed by his actions... and then more embarrassed by the USGA not taking the appropriate action.

Phil is a very good player, no doubt, but I've spent hours with him on the golf course as a caddie/advisor, and I don't buy the whole "aw shucks" demeanor he adopts for the public eye. He's actually a lot more like the antagonist character in "Tin Cup"...

True enough that the USGA let the greens "get away from them" on day 3 of the Open, but every player had to play the same course. Nothing to do but suck it up and play through the nonsense at that point.
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 06-18-2018, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golffishny View Post
According to the USGA official Saturday the DQ option does not apply if the infraction is covered by a other rule. Therefore the 2 stroke penalty.
What Phil did is covered by rule NUMBER 1-2... they had to go all the way down to rule 14.5 to let him slide on it...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 06-18-2018, 07:59 PM
Charter Member

Phil was clearly frustrated with the circus like golf course and I'm sure he didn't care to continue watching his ball roll all the way down the hill.... to me the course was an insult to a professional golfer's ability... no matter the player. Nearly all of the shots were impossible to hold on those greens... it was a joke unfortunately... and it ultimately caused melt downs to many players who are already mentally grinding it out to the best of their ability for a chance at a prestigious win.
I give Phil a pass... DQ or 2 stroke penalty, I wouldn't argue...
I certainly wouldn't judge his character on that one mishap out of a momentary lapse of reason.....
Old 06-19-2018, 05:35 AM

As someone who uses only the finest garage sale golf clubs, I find this conversation very interesting. I had no idea there were such rules in place. That's for the education everyone!
Old 06-19-2018, 05:57 AM

The Rules of Golf have evolved a long way in modern times, some may argue not for the better. I'm not sure how many pages are in the handbook, but it may be over 50. When I belonged to the USGA they had a 18 question test every year in a magazine that you had a month and full use of the handbook to get your answers. The last year I did it, only about 10 out of over 1000 entries got everything correct. It is full of exceptions, deferrals and special rulings, some of which seemingly contradict each other. It is not unusual for a rules official to get it wrong during a tournament. Many pros do not know the rules, even though they can help you as much as hurt you. Mike Davis, head of the USGA, told Phil he was within the rules to accept the penalty and play on. His is the final word.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:00 AM
Charter Member

I don’t think the USGA runs enough tournaments in which the top pros compete. They’re rightfully trying to challenge these guys, but it appears that they are the ones more challenged by how to do it correctly.
Last year, it was a birdie fest. It didn’t really feel like an open.
This year, they were doing pretty well, but failed at anticipating how the local weather conditions, which are very well known, could easily take the course away from them. It doesn’t take long for a crash to occur when you lose control.
Admittedly, it’s difficult to find the “edge”, i.e. filling the glass to the top without spilling over. Over the course of 4 days. It’s not an easy task.
One tour pro said they should seek out additional help from PGA tour setup professionals who have a better understanding of where that edge lies, and how to achieve it, given how today’s pros play the game.
That makes sense to me. The USGA does a fine job most of the time, but they just might need a little more outside help when it comes to the men’s Open. Hopefully avoid some of these major screw ups that always seem to happen.
As far as Phil goes, what he did was over the top. He should have been DQ’ed, because he disrespected the Game. That goes beyond the USGA.
If he wanted to show up the USGA he should have left his ball roll off the green and tried as best he could to make the best score possible. That’s what a pro does. He probably would have ended up with a higher score than that 2 shot penalty gave him. Maybe even a ridiculous number that would have made a much more impactful statement to the USGA as to how they had lost the course, than that childish and disrespectful display.
I truly believe that he really regrets doing this, now that it’s sunk in. I’m hoping he apologizes. I believe he will.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 06-19-2018, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

I was listening to Hank Haney on Sirius/XM this morning, and one caller mentioned how what happened with the course did not promote the game. And I agree. But what Hank said took me by surprise. Hank said that the USGA doesn't care about promoting golf! I think his point was that the USGA is maybe a little self-absorbed, full of themselves and their perceived power. After thinking about it, almost all the ads to promote golf are NOT originated by the USGA! The PGA Tour, LPGA tour, First Tee, Play 9, etc and of course equipment makers promote the game. They have a financial, vested interest in folks being interested in the game and playing it. My wife doesn't play golf but she loves to watch it with me, especially when some players are playing that she likes. She goes with me when I play. She told me that watching the US Open was not fun, to see some of the best golfers in the world shoot such bad scores! She said it was not fun to watch. Think how the "average" sports fan who is not a "golf fan" feels. Are they going to say, "You know, that looks like a lot of fun, I think I will buy some clubs, balls, bag, take lessons and take up the game of golf" The USGA is hurting the chances of new folks taking up the game, and borderline players continuing to play or play more. It is bad for the golf business. Just my take
Old 06-19-2018, 05:33 PM
Charter Member

I love rules. That's where strategy comes in. Everyone is equal under the rules. Ever play Snooker?

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 06-19-2018, 05:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Spivey View Post
Still searching for the LIKE button

Why can't we just get along
Old 06-19-2018, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalton View Post
Phhhht. He won’t be losing and sleep over losing your love. The course was crap, and everyone could see it. He played within the rules.
The course was amazing, except for whining. So tired of drive, wedge, birdie, -24. Great tourney except for Phil's digressions.
If Tommy Fleetwood could post a 63, others could have too.

Last edited by Kerbie; 06-20-2018 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Removed masked profanity
Old 06-19-2018, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfreggie View Post
I was listening to Hank Haney on Sirius/XM this morning, and one caller mentioned how what happened with the course did not promote the game. And I agree. But what Hank said took me by surprise. Hank said that the USGA doesn't care about promoting golf! I think his point was that the USGA is maybe a little self-absorbed, full of themselves and their perceived power. After thinking about it, almost all the ads to promote golf are NOT originated by the USGA! The PGA Tour, LPGA tour, First Tee, Play 9, etc and of course equipment makers promote the game. They have a financial, vested interest in folks being interested in the game and playing it. My wife doesn't play golf but she loves to watch it with me, especially when some players are playing that she likes. She goes with me when I play. She told me that watching the US Open was not fun, to see some of the best golfers in the world shoot such bad scores! She said it was not fun to watch. Think how the "average" sports fan who is not a "golf fan" feels. Are they going to say, "You know, that looks like a lot of fun, I think I will buy some clubs, balls, bag, take lessons and take up the game of golf" The USGA is hurting the chances of new folks taking up the game, and borderline players continuing to play or play more. It is bad for the golf business. Just my take
They are no different than the NCAA, NFL, except they respect etiquette and good taste more than the others.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:41 AM

Some perspective is important .
Phil does this horrible thing and the world goes on .
The PGA disappears and the world goes on .
Golf disappears from the Earth and the world goes on .
This guy likely forgot more about the rules of this game than any of you will ever know and is a professional , yet a bunch of weekend warrior amateurs want to string him up in their collective outrage .
The difference between he and most of you , in all likelihood , is that had he been disqualified he likely would have calmly walked away .

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic