The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-11-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
The lower bout bracing is the same. I use A-Bracing above the sound hole.
Aha!! Gotcha! That makes sense.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 06-11-2018, 05:47 PM

Lightbulb Okay..

So I can see now that it's all over the shop, radius tops are semi-flattened for fingerboard overlay, tops get natural belly, the sides for a radius top are sometimes sanded to 90 degrees of course affecting the top radius shape etc etc.. that is just how it is, you almost can't really "calculate the measurements" perfectly, there are no measurements.. it's just done by hand and left to nature.

Maybe I have a mental disorder but has anyone ever wanted a guitar that is just perfectly symmetric and every square millimetre has been measured and put in place? I dream of a guitar with a 0 degree neck angle and flat top that stays flat, sanding away the bridge to the exact width of the fingerboard.. what a dream.

Well there you have it folks, acoustic guitar building and OCD don't mix, what can I say..

I consider building a true flat top that stays flat but it probably wouldn't be that great of a guitar, too overbuilt? the issue ain't the common guitar - it's my ocd, ah yes there always a philosophical lesson with guitars.. Cheers all.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:42 PM

Default build one first

Before setting one's standards in concrete, I suggest that a prospective builder scratchbuild one instrument (yes, it will take quite a while) before deciding on his levels of acceptable tolerances. It's right amazing what experience illuminates. And this instrument needn't be the world-beater of the builder's dreams, just one that works right, at the end of it all. This instrument will do a whole lot of teaching for very little cash.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zion33 View Post
So I can see now that it's all over the shop, radius tops are semi-flattened for fingerboard overlay, tops get natural belly, the sides for a radius top are sometimes sanded to 90 degrees of course affecting the top radius shape etc etc.. that is just how it is, you almost can't really "calculate the measurements" perfectly, there are no measurements.. it's just done by hand and left to nature.

Maybe I have a mental disorder but has anyone ever wanted a guitar that is just perfectly symmetric and every square millimetre has been measured and put in place? I dream of a guitar with a 0 degree neck angle and flat top that stays flat, sanding away the bridge to the exact width of the fingerboard.. what a dream.

Well there you have it folks, acoustic guitar building and OCD don't mix, what can I say..

I consider building a true flat top that stays flat but it probably wouldn't be that great of a guitar, too overbuilt? the issue ain't the common guitar - it's my ocd, ah yes there always a philosophical lesson with guitars.. Cheers all.
On another forum one of the members pretty much machined his guitar, the tooling and results were so precise and everything planned out. But he was a draftsman. And on the other end of the scale, my builds. 'I'll just wing it.'
Old 06-13-2018, 11:38 PM

Quote:
I dream of a guitar with a 0 degree neck angle and flat top that stays flat, sanding away the bridge to the exact width of the fingerboard.. what a dream.
With a 0 degree neck angle, the problem is insufficient string height over the top......unless you have a thicker than normal fingerboard. When the strings are too close to the top, the pick or the fingers of the playing hand tend to hit the top

Quote:
I consider building a true flat top that stays flat but it probably wouldn't be that great of a guitar, too overbuilt? the issue ain't the common guitar.
In order to do that, you need to remove all vertical load on the bridge. The only way I know to do that is to use a tailpiece AND set it up so that the strings make no angle across the bridge when viewed from the side. To keep the strings from buzzing on the bridge, they need to be deflected within the bridge itself (either vertically or sideways) to force the strings against the saddle surface.

Many years ago, I saw such a setup at a luthier's show. In that case, the strings were deflected sideways. I don't know if it was successful, but it sounded more like an archtop, rather than a flat top with a fixed bridge.
Old 06-14-2018, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zion33 View Post
S

No need to say more than that . . .

Frank Ford

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair