The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-05-2018, 11:27 AM

Default Anyone have a "How are you still open?"-type of business in your area?

There was another thread that talking about a new piano store opening up near someone's neighborhood. My first thoughts were "Why in the world would someone do that?" There were similar reactions similar to mine. This got me thinking...

In downtown Gatlinburg, TN, there is a grandfather clock store at a primo spot on the main drag. All my times of going to that town, I don't think I've EVER seen anyone in there. Ever. They have other kinds of clocks in there as well, but I don't know much of anyone who still has a clock in his/her house. It doesn't seem to have a huge market. Although this is a tourist trap of a town, there is also a spice store and another store that sells nothing but socks. All of these businesses seem to be doing well.

A guy I know from church owns a barber shop. Like, an old school barber shop in the downtown area of our poor county. I know he's far from rich, but somehow, someway, he ekes out a living. I think his wife stays home with the kids.

There's also a pet store in our town as well. I've never seen anyone in there.

Anyone have a store or business that is open, but it's hard to imagine how they are staying in business?
Old 06-05-2018, 11:34 AM

Two words: money laundering.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architype View Post
Two words: money laundering.
There was talk of this back when our mall was first built in our small town. It was rumored that it was a "front" for other "business" happening behind the scenes.

Our mall does not exist anymore.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

Yeah, we have a restaurant close to our house that we’re convinced is some kind of front or money laundering situation. We’ve been here 6 years, there’s never anyone there, always boxes stacked up visible from the outside, same 3-5 people inside all the time. Makes no sense, no way they could be open this long legitimately.
Old 06-05-2018, 12:16 PM

Three more words: tax write off
Old 06-05-2018, 12:20 PM

I don’t really know how my local pub stays open, they have the occassional busy night, eg. darts or pool tourneys vs other pubs and a monthly open mic jam.

But most times there may only be two old men and a dog in there and the dog doesn’t drink, bag o’ pork scratchings is all he buys,,,

Sometimes it’s just me and the bar person, so presumably they’d just have been there alone if I hadn’t turned up.

I do what I can to support them, but I’m gettin on a bit now and can’t sink the heroic amounts I used to !
Old 06-05-2018, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Oh my gosh! So many around here.

The one that sticks out to me in our neighborhood is a wallpaper store, on a corner lot in a suburban neighborhood. A two story building (I think the owners might live upstairs). It's been there as long as I can remember and if I see one car a month it's a lot.

Apparently when the state mandated bottle returns, there was a backlash claiming folks away from metropolitan areas would get unfairly stuck with bottles they can't return, so (I think) the stater subsidizes bottle return locations.

We have one near us that just opened. A block away from two grocery stores (kinda defeats the purpose). I've never ever seen anyone there and it's still open a year later.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 06-05-2018, 01:54 PM

Not in my own neighborhood, but the trendy West Town neighborhood where my voice teacher lives, there is a candle shop. Not a chain (Yankee Candle) either. Also some clothing boutiques with oddly-designed stuff that wouldn't look good on anyone, and I've never seen anyone in there but the staff. Ditto with the shop that sells only leather & woolen goods from Peru. There's a stretch of Armitage up in Lincoln Park that, besides the usual upscale chains (Warby Parker, Benefit, La Colombe, Jeni's Splendid, Lush, etc.) has a barware shop and a tie boutique. I suspect the candle shop may be run by a trust-fund kid, because how can you make enough money off the sale of candles to make your overhead?

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 06-05-2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Sandy View Post
I suspect the candle shop may be run by a trust-fund kid, because how can you make enough money off the sale of candles to make your overhead?
Good point Sandy. many times there are other streams of income that keep a small business afloat. In fact, even in big business, this is the case.
Old 06-05-2018, 03:38 PM

In my village there is a very small computer shop. Just one guy who builds desktops and sells peripherals. The prices are through the roof. I always wondered how he stayed in business....

He doesn't anymore he closed down last week.
Old 06-05-2018, 04:57 PM

There is a Netflix movie called “Camera Store” that deals with similar questions. You want to make money but not too much money. It’s not a great film, but it’s still worth a watch.

I’ve seen plenty of these types of businesses. There are soooo many restaurants here but some are always empty, even during tourist season.
Old 06-05-2018, 05:15 PM

Artists frame shop. We have a lot of art and occasionally add more or reframe older pieces. But, when ever we got to the frame shop we are the only customers and often that's an hour long visit. I just don't see how they pay the rent.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 06-05-2018, 05:15 PM

On a major highway just outside of my town is a Sarar clothing store. Most I'VE seen is three cars out in front. I'm not sure how many thousand square feet of retail space is in there but its prime retail on that road...dont know how they do it.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:56 PM

I’m thinking these places have a large online store.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:32 PM

How are you still open business?

Yeah...Guitar Center

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic