The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-20-2018, 03:35 PM

I've watched your builds here Ben - - -

Always impressed with the precision, cleanliness and detail mindedness of your work.
Easy to see why Mike trusts you.
Old 06-20-2018, 03:49 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montesdad View Post
I've watched your builds here Ben - - -

Always impressed with the precision, cleanliness and detail mindedness of your work.
Easy to see why Mike trusts you.
Thanks very much. I love a clean, efficient process. And I'm always grateful for a client who comes BACK to the watering hole! (Thanks, Mike!)
Old 06-20-2018, 07:55 PM
Lovin' nice guitars...

So, as many know Ben does his own finish work also. Again, pretty much almost a one month project from start to finish for a Wilborn guitar! Here are a couple of parting shots before this one goes into the spray booth. After having had several guitars built over the last few years, I can honestly say this one is probably the most visually conservative build I've done. The back wood is really basic almost to the point of boring...no frills etc. Other than the shell around the perimeter and the bevel, the top is pretty basic also.

We did alter Ben's "standard" Ellie Belle a bit. The body size is the Ellie Belle size, but like on my last John K build, I had Ben add a slight amount of depth to the body to give those tones a touch more room to move around. Ben tells me that this old "Dad's Sitka" has some of the nicest bell tap tone he's ever heard, and the Blackwood has really nice tap also. I'm optimistically hopeful that this one is going to sound like a million bucks .

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!
Old 06-30-2018, 12:24 PM

Default Awesome!

This guitar is so awesome. Ive seen it with my own eyes. Im VERY Jealous.
You will love it!

Wilborn Sidewinder (Braz-Adi)
Wilborn Gloria #1
2 Taylor Baritones
Mcilroy A30c
1960 Martin Nylon Folk
1974 Guild Mark IV
1985 Gibson Les Paul custom
Old 06-30-2018, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

Man, in a word — BEAUTIFUL! Classy design.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:14 PM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Cardinal View Post
This guitar is so awesome. Ive seen it with my own eyes. Im VERY Jealous.
You will love it!
Well, what can I say? Well, I'm a bit jealous that you saw it before me, but location has its privileges. I'm excited that before too long I'll be seeing it every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
Man, in a word — BEAUTIFUL! Classy design.
Thank you for following along and for the kind words!

Here are a couple of pics that you could call "teasers" for me as I've seen very few others recently...certainly there will be more to come down the road. So, the first two are "pre-polish" and show the cool color Ben added to the neck. The last pic is just after Ben, with the help of the polishing wheel, put a spit shine one it.

Old 07-20-2018, 11:11 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Truly beautiful! Love the reflection pic!
Old 07-21-2018, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

Mike, I love the way this is coming out. It's beautiful!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 07-21-2018, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

Default Wilborn Build: The Blackbird

Such precise craftsmanship! This guitar does exhibit some bling, but I guess when you put diamonds in the right places, you get a classy beautiful guitar.

With my next comments, I don’t mean to hijack this thread, but I feel compelled.... I first met Ben in Santa Barbara a couple of years ago (No pressure Ben, I’m sure you don’t remember me). He looked vaguely familiar, but I couldn’t put my finger on it. As you know, he hails from Reno, NV. I grew up in nearby Carson City and went to college at Nevada (Reno). Perhaps his familiarity was my geographic imagination. Well a few threads ago, I had read about how Ben is a gifted guitar player. At that time I thought... “wow, I remember seeing this band in Reno called The Lazy Eights, and Ben kind of looks the fiddle player”. Mind you, I only saw the band once or twice, but at the time, they were gaining local notoriety. Anyhow, a couple of days ago I was going through some old CD’s to put on my iPod and I came across my The Lazy Eights CD that I literally forgot I ever bought.

Again, Mike and Ben, sorry for the interruption of this wonderful build, but hopefully this gives you all a smile[emoji16].
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1532192200.943008.jpg (26.3 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1532192217.125569.jpg (35.4 KB, 151 views)
Old 07-21-2018, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

Smile What a beauty!

Beautiful instrument, and SO SHINY!!!

Lovely work Ben.

And it happens so FAST. Almost like an instant custom guitar, which seems like an oxymoron, but obviously is not in your case!

I am sure Mike is eager to get this in his hot hands!!

Go, Ben, Go

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 07-21-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootis View Post
Such precise craftsmanship! This guitar does exhibit some bling, but I guess when you put diamonds in the right places, you get a classy beautiful guitar.

With my next comments, I don’t mean to hijack this thread, but I feel compelled.... I first met Ben in Santa Barbara a couple of years ago (No pressure Ben, I’m sure you don’t remember me). He looked vaguely familiar, but I couldn’t put my finger on it. As you know, he hails from Reno, NV. I grew up in nearby Carson City and went to college at Nevada (Reno). Perhaps his familiarity was my geographic imagination. Well a few threads ago, I had read about how Ben is a gifted guitar player. At that time I thought... “wow, I remember seeing this band in Reno called The Lazy Eights, and Ben kind of looks the fiddle player”. Mind you, I only saw the band once or twice, but at the time, they were gaining local notoriety. Anyhow, a couple of days ago I was going through some old CD’s to put on my iPod and I came across my The Lazy Eights CD that I literally forgot I ever bought.

Again, Mike and Ben, sorry for the interruption of this wonderful build, but hopefully this gives you all a smile[emoji16].
Love it, that is him! Also has a band call the Fantods which is great, he plays guitar and sings in that one as well as some fiddle work. He also use to play in a band that backed up Willie Nelson and Wylan Jennings....other than that he is pretty boring hahaha!
Old 07-30-2018, 05:47 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Well, the guitar that Ben has so lovingly named "The Blackbird" is headed my way soon. Ben sent me these pictures and I gotta say that I am really looking forward to this one. I wanted the body just a touch deeper than his "normal" EllieBelle, and from his description, I think Ben achieved the result that I was hoping for.

The strings went on for the first time yesterday. His description of the tone is "It's amazing. As you anticipated, the bass is more pronounced, and it sounds more growly than my usual EllieBelle. The Blackwood just sustains forever. It's got a ton of sparkle and complexity. I love love love the tone." Then he added..."this guitar kicks A**" He said he'll make a video of it in the coming days and I'll certainly share that here as well.

Old 07-30-2018, 06:50 AM
Charter Member

Stunning!! I want just like this one 😍
Maple Beneteau for sale
Old 07-30-2018, 07:06 AM
AGF Sponsor

Very pretty. Every detail is well thought out and executed and, well, just pretty.
Old 07-30-2018, 07:39 AM
Charter Member

Mike, the shape of this guitar is awesome! I love the bevel; it looks only large enough to add comfort on the forearm, not overly large as to be intrusive into the top area. The sheer darkness of the back is elegant and classy. I can't wait to hear the video, Ben is a great player, so the demo should be stellar. Congrats on another beauty! I'm looking forward to seeing what Ben brings to Woodstock this year.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop