The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-20-2018, 05:01 PM

Congratulations SJ, well done, and I'm very proud to have my name inside that guitar!
I honestly didn't think twice about this guitar being available for sale, as for some reason, I thought this was a personal guitar for nacluth!
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 06-22-2018, 07:05 AM

Default What fun!

What a creative, fun project for Builder(s) and we, the fan club. I too am honored, yet not deserving..at least not AS others.

And the photo of the inside of the top makes it much easier to read than sticking one's head in there (I have found)!

Kudos and congrats on owning a treasure!
Collings SJ Braz/Ger, 000-42Koa, UC3 Killer Koa
Jeffrey Yong's Seismic 2011 Japan Earthquake Tribute and a Quilt Mah "The Tree" Olson
Old 06-22-2018, 07:12 AM

Congrats, I believe my name is prominently displayed there as well, that should have been enough to make someone buy it, but I assume the guitar has some merits on its own as well
Old 06-22-2018, 08:30 AM

Thanks, everybody! Remember, if your name is on it, you are on the "design team" and have an open invitation to come over to my house and play it to your heart's content. I may even consider sending it around on a road trip after my other new Kinnaird is completed. No promises though - I may not be able to set it down that long!

I managed to play it an hour last night even though I was completely beat after driving to Nacogdoches and back in one day. I love it. It works great with a lot of my singer/songwriter repertoire - fingerstyle or with a pick. I haven't tried it yet with bluegrass flatpicking, but I think it will work fine once I get used to the wider nut (1 3/4" - not really that different from 1 11/16). I would say that the sound is not dry or woody but rather reverberant and clean. It still has rather wonderful string separation. I do some crosspicking on a few songs and it's just a joy played like that.

I've decided to call it Uluru, for obvious reasons: Did I post a pic of the 12th fret inlay?
Old 06-22-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt View Post
Thanks, everybody! Remember, if your name is on it, you are on the "design team" and have an open invitation to come over to my house and play it to your heart's content.
I am on the next flight. Purchasing only a one-way ticket.
Collings SJ Braz/Ger, 000-42Koa, UC3 Killer Koa
Jeffrey Yong's Seismic 2011 Japan Earthquake Tribute and a Quilt Mah "The Tree" Olson
Old 06-22-2018, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt View Post
Thanks, everybody! Remember, if your name is on it, you are on the "design team" and have an open invitation to come over to my house and play it to your heart's content. I may even consider sending it around on a road trip after my other new Kinnaird is completed. No promises though - I may not be able to set it down that long!

I managed to play it an hour last night even though I was completely beat after driving to Nacogdoches and back in one day. I love it. It works great with a lot of my singer/songwriter repertoire - fingerstyle or with a pick. I haven't tried it yet with bluegrass flatpicking, but I think it will work fine once I get used to the wider nut (1 3/4" - not really that different from 1 11/16). I would say that the sound is not dry or woody but rather reverberant and clean. It still has rather wonderful string separation. I do some crosspicking on a few songs and it's just a joy played like that.

I've decided to call it Uluru, for obvious reasons: Did I post a pic of the 12th fret inlay?
Be careful with those invites haha, I live 55 minutes south of Austin (at least when I am not in New York). I will be stopping by Nacogdoches the first week in July myself. Hoping the Myrtle is still there!
Old 06-22-2018, 04:41 PM

Congrats on your new Kinnaird, SJ!

I guess it's time to do another one
Old 06-22-2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chedeng88 View Post
I guess it's time to do another one
They've started it. This was an impulse buy! Luckily the next is not due until next year and I will have financially recovered by then . . . I hope!
Old 06-28-2018, 12:41 PM

Default update

I thought I'd give a little sound/tone update on this new guitar of mine. Let me start by saying that I'm totally in love with it and have a hard time putting it down, so bear that in mind if whatever I say sounds critical.

I stated in one of my posts that I though it was more toward the rosewood end of the spectrum than the mahogany end, but I want to revise that. It seems (to my ears) to have a strong, clean fundamental, perhaps more like mahogany or even maple. Chords have a clean ring, as if each string contributed only what is necessary for that chord (the intonation is very beautiful), without any stray harmonics that muddy the chord. I like this quality so much that my preferred mode of play is strummed chords - it's great for pop ballads. It does fine for fingerstyle as well, though it doesn't have the depth in the bass notes I get from my dread (no surprise there) - if anything it is too well balanced!

I don't know if any of this is attributable to the red gum back and sides - the double X bracing may be a factor here as well - but I thought I would put this out there in case anyone is considering red gum as a drop-in replacement for rosewood: I don't think it is. Now, Steve K. or Ryan M. or someone else with some time playing this guitar may have a different take on this - they are welcome to chime in and disagree if they would like. Other red gum guitars may have totally different sonic profiles: since I've never played one I can't speak to that.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:57 PM

I had to delete my original Facebook account, which is what I used to host photos for AGF, and all of my photos on here disappeared with it. I restored a few on the first post of this thread but can't remember exactly what pictures I originally used. If you want to see more, check out my FB album on my new account: https://www.facebook.com/stan.vansan...2462326&type=3

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop