The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-09-2018, 11:53 AM

Default Guitar shops in Charleston WV?

Hey everyone, any good guitar shops in Charleston WV? Heading there for business for a few weeks and would like to check some out. Thanks.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:01 PM

Hey Dru,

Even though I live within a few hours of Charleston, I haven't done any shopping in that area whereby I could give you valid information. Several years ago I traveled to Route 60 Music Co. in Barboursville, WV (west of Charleston). This was for a Road Show. The store was neat and everyone was friendly.

From doing a search, I found there are several music stores in and around Charleston. I just don't have any specific information about them. I feel confident though they would have some nice instruments for one to take for a test drive.

Hope all is well on your end.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefooter View Post
Hey Dru,

Even though I live within a few hours of Charleston, I haven't done any shopping in that area whereby I could give you valid information. Several years ago I traveled to Route 60 Music Co. in Barboursville, WV (west of Charleston). This was for a Road Show. The store was neat and everyone was friendly.

From doing a search, I found there are several music stores in and around Charleston. I just don't have any specific information about them. I feel confident though they would have some nice instruments for one to take for a test drive.

Hope all is well on your end.
Hi Tom, sorry for the late reply but I haven't been on the AGF in a week. I have found a couple of music stores when I googled but haven't visited them yet. Looks like there's not a Guitar Center in the entire state. Very few instruments on Craiglist too (only a couple of guitar items added a day).

Where abouts are you? This past Sat I went to Lewisburg to visit the Lost World Caverns and then drove to Marlinton (great windy road) and then drove through the mountains. On Sat I think we're heading north to the Cooper Rock state park. Any great scenic drives you can recommend? WV is a beautiful state.
Old 06-25-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Hi Tom, sorry for the late reply but I haven't been on the AGF in a week. I have found a couple of music stores when I googled but haven't visited them yet. Looks like there's not a Guitar Center in the entire state. Very few instruments on Craiglist too (only a couple of guitar items added a day).

Where abouts are you? This past Sat I went to Lewisburg to visit the Lost World Caverns and then drove to Marlinton (great windy road) and then drove through the mountains. On Sat I think we're heading north to the Cooper Rock state park. Any great scenic drives you can recommend? WV is a beautiful state.
Hey Dru * I guess I am kind of like you by not logging in on a regular basis. I just saw your post today. I hope you are enjoying our area. When you went to Lewisburg on 64, you were about 15 minutes from me at the East Beckley exit.

Some of the back mountain roadways you've traveled are the ones I love riding motorcycles on. I tend to stay off the interstate system as much as possible and enjoy the twisties and scenery. This year though, I've only put around 300 miles on the Goldwing. I've been actively involved in some catch-up work around the house and assisting other family members with chores around their places. Things are falling into place now.

We don't have a Guitar Center in our State. In the Beckley area, we have a couple of stores, and likewise in surrounding towns. On FB there are various musical instruments popping up from time to time throughout the area, but I have not been bitten by the bug to seek additional equipment.

In closing, I was in Charleston Sunday for a Retired Troopers Association meeting. If you were still in the area I'd say you encountered some heavy rains Sunday. Tom
Old 06-25-2018, 05:26 PM

Dru

Not sure of your dates, but if you still have some time and these guitars interest you, you are not far from luthier Michael Hauve in Sharpsburg, Md. He builds ladder braced Stella type guitars that have a great reputation. Could be fun to visit. I am planning to do that but haven't got around to it. Sharpsburg is less than 2 hrs from me. If your dates line up with mine and you are interested in coming to the Washington area, glad to meet you.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 06-26-2018, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefooter View Post
Hey Dru * I guess I am kind of like you by not logging in on a regular basis. I just saw your post today. I hope you are enjoying our area. When you went to Lewisburg on 64, you were about 15 minutes from me at the East Beckley exit.

Some of the back mountain roadways you've traveled are the ones I love riding motorcycles on. I tend to stay off the interstate system as much as possible and enjoy the twisties and scenery. This year though, I've only put around 300 miles on the Goldwing. I've been actively involved in some catch-up work around the house and assisting other family members with chores around their places. Things are falling into place now.

We don't have a Guitar Center in our State. In the Beckley area, we have a couple of stores, and likewise in surrounding towns. On FB there are various musical instruments popping up from time to time throughout the area, but I have not been bitten by the bug to seek additional equipment.

In closing, I was in Charleston Sunday for a Retired Troopers Association meeting. If you were still in the area I'd say you encountered some heavy rains Sunday. Tom
Hey Tom, I did more sight seeing on Sat and Sun and visited 4 state parks with a couple of my co-workers. Lots of driving but getting off the interstate is what I enjoy. I have 1 week left here but early Sunday morning (i.e. 1am) the new IT system is going live so that will be a long day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayheyjeff View Post
Dru

Not sure of your dates, but if you still have some time and these guitars interest you, you are not far from luthier Michael Hauve in Sharpsburg, Md. He builds ladder braced Stella type guitars that have a great reputation. Could be fun to visit. I am planning to do that but haven't got around to it. Sharpsburg is less than 2 hrs from me. If your dates line up with mine and you are interested in coming to the Washington area, glad to meet you.

Jeff
Hi Jeff - thanks for your response. I'll have a look at Michael tomorrow (online) and Sharpsburg to see where it is. Saturday is the only open day I have left and I have another coworker from Canada who is up this week / week-end that wants to do some sight seeing. I'll let you know and thanks for the heads up. It would be nice meeting you too.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic