The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-13-2018, 09:32 PM

Default Information on Irish Guitar

So my friend and I are very interested in Irish guitar and the theory behind it. If anyone has any information and resources on it, that would be greatly appreciated.
Epiphone Sheraton 2 Pro
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Stratocaster MIM w/ noiseless pickups
Old 06-14-2018, 02:12 AM

Flatpicking Guitar Magazine, I think it's no longer published, but they still sell stuff, they have many books on Irish guitar. Mel Bay has stuff. There's a book with audio called "Accompanying Irish Music On Guitar".
Old 06-15-2018, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joscefi78 View Post
Flatpicking Guitar Magazine, I think it's no longer published, but they still sell stuff, they have many books on Irish guitar. Mel Bay has stuff. There's a book with audio called "Accompanying Irish Music On Guitar".
Thanks man I'll check those out!
Epiphone Sheraton 2 Pro
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Stratocaster MIM w/ noiseless pickups
Old 06-15-2018, 10:26 PM
Charter Member

I don't think there's a lot of "theory" behind Irish guitar, guitar wasn't even a part of traditional Irish music until recently. but check out "Irish Traditional Guitar Accompaniment" by Gavin Ralston, and "Celtic Back-up for all Instrumentalists" by Chris Smith. The later one has a lot of what you might be looking for - chord progressions, modes, differences between the various types of tunes, and so on. There's another one that I used to have that was a sort of step by step method for learning to accompany irish music, but I'm forgetting the name of it. It used DADEAD tuning for everything. Maybe I'll find it.

Of course, if you're interested in fingerstyle instead of accompaniment/flatpicking, there's tons of material around learning tunes. Check out books and DVDs by Tony McManus, Pat Kirtley, Al Petteway, Steve Baughman, and many more.

Oh, one more: "Traditional Irish Guitar" by Paul de Grae. Mostly tunes, but some background info and suggestions, especially in the beginning.

Last edited by Doug Young; 06-15-2018 at 10:33 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 04:56 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

Check out: https://oaim.ie
This is the The Online Academy of Irish Music (OAIM). They offer online courses teaching music in the Irish tradition on various instruments. It's physically based in Ireland.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 06-16-2018, 11:48 AM

Having gone through a learning curve here, I would advise listening to enough music to get the sound fixed in your mind. Notation and tab generally do not reflect the unique idiosyncrasies of the genre. Many of the signature elements probably don't have a definition in theory books.
Old 06-16-2018, 01:13 PM

Default Irish Guitar

Steve Cooney.

https://youtu.be/ftBShyJXXXI

Theory is the post mortem of Music.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Tags
irish guitar