The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-23-2018, 05:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTFoote View Post
I'm using John Pearse 80/20 lights on my Martin 00. I like 80/20 strings on mahogany guitars, (with mahogany or spruce tops) both - for the clear, woody, resonant tonality they produce, and because of the balanced tension across the neck. JP 80/20 string have a wonderful, smooth, dynamically-sensitive feel, and the sound is "cleaner", minus some of the lushness and warmth of phosphor-bronze; which to me, on a mahogany guitar, is nearly overkill.

My 00 originally came with Retro lights, which I felt were stiff ... something I've noticed on previous occasions when I've auditioned Martin strings. And the natural resonance of the guitar seemed muted. My luthier did the initial set-up with light D'Addario phosphor-bronze (possibly because it was closest to what I'd told him would be going on the guitar), but I didn't care for how they sounded (a little muddy in the mid-range, and a bit too light in the bass) ... and the wraps on D'Addario strings have always felt rough to me. I didn't mind him using them - it helped settle any possible mental argument I was having about switching to the 80/20 strings.

80/20 strings and this Martin are a very fine match, indeed.

... JT
What gauge stretch do you use of the PB Lights? Have you tried the PB “New Standard” 80/20 lights? Do the PB’s still capture the 00-18’s resonance? That’s where the D’Addario’s fail IMO, they “fall off” too fast, and don’t let the guitar ring.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePa and Son View Post
Santa Cruz Mid tension on our OODB (Tweedy signature)
Please tell me more about tension parameters for these strings in comparison to same-size strings of other brands.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:49 AM

Elixir phosphor bronze custom lights
Martin CEO-7
Custom Huss and Dalton DS 12 fret
Cole-Clark FL3AC
American standard strat
Old 06-23-2018, 11:34 AM

One thing I should add to my love for the NB vs Monel is that I'm a much better guitar player with the Monels. They are way softer to the touch and easier to play... for me at least.
Old 06-23-2018, 12:57 PM

I use Elixir PB Nanoweb Lights. Love em.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion