The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-26-2024, 07:47 AM

Default Manuel Adalid Model 12 vs Others?

I am considering purchase of a Manuel Adalid Model 12 vs other classical guitars (all with cedar tops) that might be considered comparable, and I have several questions:

1. My thumb-pinky span is approximatey 8.5 inches (216 mm), which by some criteria indicates that I ought to be looking at guitars with a scale length of 640mm. I've had the opportunity to play various GGs with scale lengths of 650mm, 640mm, and 628mm. Stretches were more comfortable on the 640mm and 628mm scales, but some chords and barres were more cramped than on a 650mm scale. However, another factor was the 50mm nut width on the 640 and 628mm models. Should I focus on scale lengths of 628-640mm or just go for the best instrument and adapt accordingly?

2. What are the differences, if any, between a Manuel Adalid Model 12 and an Esteve Model 12 Professional?

3. I've seen listings for Manuel Adalid Model 12 in 650mm or 640mm scale length as well as Esteve 12 Professional in 650mm and 630mm scale length. The finish on the Adalid models is "Lacquer" and on the Esteve models is "Nitrocellulose". Are these finishes actually the same (i.e., Nitro)? I use a GuitarLift with silicone rubber suction cups that attach to the back of the guitar -- would this be compatible with a Nitro finish (both with respect to adequate adhesion and to not damaging the finish)?

4. Other guitars under consideration include the following: Kenny Hill Player 650mm or 640mm with or without ports and with or without an elevated fretboard; Saers A90C; Otto Vowinkel 2a 650mm or 640 mm; and Yulong Guo 650mm or 630mm double-top cedar. The Yulong Guo models include the unusual combination of a 52mm nut width and 630mm scale length. However, from the demos I've heard, the sound of the Yulong Guo seems overly loud and harsh compared to the models from Manuel Adalid, Esteve, Vowinkel, or Kenny Hill.

5. Suggestions for other classical guitars in the price range of $1500 - $3500?

Thank you for your opinions and suggestions!

Last edited by Hypersphere; 04-03-2024 at 12:18 PM. Reason: New information

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Tags
esteve, kenny hill, manuel adalid, saers, small scale