The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-29-2022, 03:44 PM

Default KLOS Carbon Fiber - Anyone tried these?

Saw an Ad on facebook for KLOS carbon fiber guitars. I just went to their website and the full size acoustics are around $2000. Have you tried or owned one of these? I know absolutely nothing about carbon fiber guitars in general, so any info would be helpful! Thanks.
Gibson G-45 Studio
Martin X1-DE
Washburn WP21SNS
Taylor 110
Mitchell D120
Old 12-29-2022, 04:49 PM
Charter Member

If youre not familiar, definitely try before you buy. But I will say, I bought a rainsong cf guitar unseen, and it was the biggest surprise of my guitar experience! Plays great, sounds great, and feels just like a quality guitar should. And stays in tune like none other.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 12-29-2022, 07:42 PM

I bought a KLŌS hybrid travel guitar when they were still a crowdfunded project. I love it!

My wish for was a (nearly) indestructible guitar I could easily take with me (read: dis-assemble-able) and not worry about dings, scratches, kids, etc. In that regard, it's perfect.

On top of that, it's a delight to play. At the time, KLŌS hadn't yet offered a full carbon fiber model, so mine has the CF-reinforced wood neck. No pickup, no sound port (wasn't offered at the time). With the included screwdriver I can disassemble the guitar in minutes, stuff it full of socks, t-shirts, etc. and put it in my suitcase. I've traveled on cruise ships, spent time in hotel rooms (and during COVID, this was a lifesaver!). And the dang thing stays in tune!

The down side? The sound is a bit "tinny." But let's face it, a small guitar that fits into a suitcase isn't designed to be a concert primary. At least for me.

I've had mine for four years, and other than change strings on it, I haven't suffered any problems with it, despite it not receiving babying. In fact, I was just playing it earlier today. Highly recommended!
Old 12-29-2022, 10:08 PM
Charter Member

Probably don't qualify, but I heard a small trio where one of the players was playing one amplified and it sounded great ! Not sure which model, it was pretty small and appeared to be CF. I guess that just means it had a nice pu installed???
Old 12-29-2022, 10:32 PM
Charter Member

I have both a travel and full size hybrid.

The tone is much fuller in the full size. It is also incredibly light. I just wish they had a 1 3/4" neck
Old 12-30-2022, 01:02 AM
Charter Member

You can order from them and test. If not for you, their return policy is excellent.

Speaking from experience, I found the tone very boxy and uninspiring. A friend overseas wanted one so I ordered on the person's behalf. Ended up returning it and got a used Composite Acoustic Ox for about the same cost and it was a far better acoustic tonally speaking in every aspect.

That said, the Klos can be packed down very small due to the removable neck. It all depends on what your needs are.
Old 01-02-2023, 12:41 PM

I’ve played both the full fibre and the hybrid versions. They have middling size 15” wide bodies and nice matching sound levels. When strummed vigorously the sound didn’t get louder.

My opinion is that for $2000 the discounted RainSong WS1000 Classic Reissue will give a bigger and richer sound because the WS soundbox is bigger and RainSong has 25+ years experience tuning carbon fibre guitars to suit fussy guitar owners with deep pockets.

I’ve played all CH and most CO versions of RainSong sizes except jumbo. My opinion is that the KLOS sound is definitely zingier than the RainSong, and that the Classic will be a bit in between but much closer to the main RainSong sound.

For a non-discounted $2500 RainSong will offer a choice of necks and body shapes etc. And probably that $75 very nice burst finish.

Cheers.
2014 Fender Concert Pro (New Hartford) - red spruce, mahogany
Old 01-02-2023, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualmusic View Post
I’ve played both the full fibre and the hybrid versions. They have middling size 15” wide bodies and nice matching sound levels. When strummed vigorously the sound didn’t get louder.

My opinion is that for $2000 the discounted RainSong WS1000 Classic Reissue will give a bigger and richer sound because the WS soundbox is bigger and RainSong has 25+ years experience tuning carbon fibre guitars to suit fussy guitar owners with deep pockets.

I’ve played all CH and most CO versions of RainSong sizes except jumbo. My opinion is that the KLOS sound is definitely zingier than the RainSong, and that the Classic will be a bit in between but much closer to the main RainSong sound.

For a non-discounted $2500 RainSong will offer a choice of necks and body shapes etc. And probably that $75 very nice burst finish.

Cheers.
I think comparing to a Rainsong is only somewhat valid for the full carbon. The hybrid is in an entirely different price class.

For perspective I picked up my Klos full sized hybrid for $800.

The other thing would be the neck profile although I believe the classic has the n1 neck profile the n2 is a very different profile than the Klos. And while I quite like Rainsongs from a tone and overall perspective I really don't get along with the n2 neck. The easily removable neck is another differentiator. I can pack the Klos in regular sized plane luggage.

Last edited by Aspiring; 01-02-2023 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-02-2023, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

I bought a used Klos hybrid from Guitar Center. Took it on one pleasure trip to Vegas. Played okay but was not a fan of the playability or sound. Ended up getting an Emerald X7.

Last edited by PassingThru; 01-02-2023 at 06:57 PM. Reason: wording
Old 01-02-2023, 10:31 PM
Charter Member

Oh one thing I have also noticed with the Klos is it is very sensitive to strings. In particular I really don't like the sound of moderately worn out strings on it.
Old 01-04-2023, 01:47 AM

I've tried both the travel size and full size.

The travel size was quite thin sounding. But so are most of those types of small "travel" guitars. Really cool little guitar for camping if you are into that kind of stuff.

The full size one had good sound and tone - not my favorite in the carbon fiber guitar world - but very good overall. but At that price range, however, personally I'd probably put the money towards something else like a Rainsong or Emerald. But if your budget cannot extended more, then the KLOS full size would be a really good choice.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber