The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-18-2022, 04:35 PM

Default Strings and dirty fingers

Not sure this is specific to CF guitars, but after following a few threads on strings for an X20, I picked up a few sets of John Pearse 80/20s. Previously have been using Elixers on my guitars for years.
Anyways, love the X20 for the ability to leave it out on stand 24/7. It is draped with a light towel, in case of dust, as our Mexican living area is semi-open air. But with a 3-week old set of strings on it, a short session will leave me with almost a graphite coating on my finger tips from my pick/pluck style. If I wipe the strings down, I don't seem to see the dark stuff.
Is this likely because the strings are not coated, or because they are exposed to more humidity than being indoors? Or maybe my skin is more acidic and needs coated string?
Tnx
Old 12-18-2022, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

Seems most likely to be a skin chemistry issue. There was a similar thread elsewhere on the AGF a few days ago.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 12-18-2022, 05:33 PM
Charter Member

Is this a new X-20? When mine arrived I ended up with black fingertips due to the fretboard not having been sufficiently cleaned before shipping. I took the strings off, cleaned the fretboard with isopropyl alcohol and all was fine after that.
Old 12-18-2022, 07:21 PM

Are the JP’s uncoated? Asking as uncoated 80/20 strings are amongst the least corrosion-resistant strings. They will quickly pick up a black grime layer as you have described, and then leave that black stuff on your fingers.

If you don’t like it, you can try treated 80/20’s. I’ve had good tones with Martin Lifespans and Ernie Ball Paradigm’s on my one guitar that prefers 80/20’s.

If you don’t like coated strings, a number of us have found Martin Retro’s to be a good match for the X20, and those are very corrosion resistant and smooth-feeling under the fingers.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber