The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-05-2016, 10:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Awesome pictures ! Who's driving the boat while you take pictures? I'm joking of course. I enjoyed this thread...thanks for taking the time to post it.
One-handed grab shots while the boat is in neutral or engine shut down. The running joke on the boat is: I can make Orcas breach... by putting my camera down. Our naturalists on the boats get some great shots - of course, they can use both hands AND concentrate on where the action is... even when shut down, my head is on a swivel, looking for other boats, other whales, debris in the water, wake from passing freighters, etc. We use the photos to make IDs.
Old 10-09-2016, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

It has been over a month since updating this thread. We left the San Juan Islands on September 8th, taking the motorhome east. The X7 got playing time in Washington, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, then a couple weeks in the Black Hills of South Dakota (our former home). Two lane roads going south from there: Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, then into Texas. A few days in the Texas Hill Country, some time around San Antonio... and, this evening, we are home.

It was warm and humid here in the Tropical Tip of Texas (upper 80s for temp and about 70% humidity). Changing climates all along the way: warm, dry, cool, damp, high elevations, and now back at sea level once again. As we get moved back into the house (after being gone 5 months), I'll get my guitar room set up. The X7 has been an absolute champ through all of this and will get regular rotation with my other guitars as we settle back into the house.

While in San Antonio, I picked up a TC Helicon Play Acoustic (vocal harmonizer and some guitar effects/EQ); I have been using a TC Helicon Gxt for 6 or 7 years and look forward to the upgrades it offers. I know Emerald has made a change from the B-Band pickup (some don't like the barndoor install), but I really like the way the X7 sounds plugged in. Looking forward to more of it.

Jim
Old 10-10-2016, 09:20 AM
Guest 928

Captain;

Your travelogue has been delightful--thank you for taking the time and effort to share.

Every Emerald I've played does great double duty in both acoustic and electric modes. Alistair's necks seem particularly well suited to electric play--fast, smooth, high fret reach.
Old 10-15-2016, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the kind words, Evan.

Since we've been home, I only got one other guitar out, besides the X7: my Taylor 522ce 12-fret. Before getting the X7, I considered that my most comfortable guitar. The 522 has the typical Taylor playability - in other words: sweet.

In between the moving-back-in process, I've been going back and forth between the 522 and the X7. I lowered the action on the X7 before we left in May - I was very happy with that. Now, after playing the 522 again some, I decided the X7 could use another tweak... I took the saddle down just a bit further and made an adjustment on the truss rod. Goodness, it is even better!

I am mostly a strummer, and was concerned about taking the action down too far and getting fret buzz... happy to report: no buzz when playing some serious strumming songs, tone still sounds great, and the action/comfort is a delight!

This morning, my wife said, "Well, I think it is time to get out some of your other guitars..." I think she likes to look at them on the wall. We put out what there is room for on the wall, and the X7 on the stand by my chair. It may be the smallest of the bunch (my 814 feels huge right now!), but it holds its own. I don't think of it as my "travel" guitar - just another great instrument.

My wife also brought a fresh battery in for the hygrometer in the room... the X7 said, "What's that?"
Old 10-15-2016, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Cap'n Jim...

Sounds like pix are required sir!

Todd in Chicago

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Old 10-15-2016, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChicagoTodd View Post
Cap'n Jim...

Sounds like pix are required sir!

Todd in Chicago
A couple views...

No room for a work-bench in that small room, so the island in the kitchen works fine...

(photo from last May)
Old 10-15-2016, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

Awesome! I need to get my wall hangers up this well I bought one each of the super sales that were posted on this forum recently.

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

Old 10-15-2016, 05:53 PM

So Todd -- got that El Capitan yet? Or did I miss the NGD?
Old 10-15-2016, 07:00 PM
Charter Member

Earl49....

Earl49..mmmm...errrr..yes I did and no you did not miss that post. I need to do a delayed NGD post and I will do my best to get that done tomorrow. I took a couple pictures that I wasn't happy with but I have taken some more.

Sorry folks!

Quick heads-up on the El Capitan though..... I absolutely positively love it was everything I expected it to be. More to come....

Todd in Chicago

Old 10-15-2016, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

The wall hangers make it easy to pick one up and play. And, pick another.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

Almost 3 weeks into being back home. Lot of "projects" (my lovely wife thinks of things for a "to do" list almost all the time), but I have guitars out and have settled into getting at least an hour (generally a bit more) playing each day. No gigs lined up, but I feel "tuned up" enough that I am ready if/when they present themselves.

I am enjoying the Play Acoustic, although it takes some "fiddling" when changing guitars. I have a couple set-ups plugged in that are good for each.

With a variety of guitars to play again, the X7 is still getting more play time than the others.

My wife has projects that she is working on (not sure why we're changing the texture on the ceiling in one bathroom??), but she does like to stay busy. Fortunately for me, she also likes to cook, and she is a great cook. That works out nicely, 'cause I like to eat.

This morning, she was making a quiche while I was playing guitar. When she called me for breakfast (I really like not having a schedule), she said, "You know I like cooking for you."

"Yes?"

"And I really like to listen to you sing and play - especially a morning concert."

"Uh-huh?"

"We need to make an agreement."

"OK."

"You need to play at least as much time as I spend cooking."

Yeah, I'm good with that.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:54 PM

Thanks for sharing your voyage Captain Jim! (Although since I'm on my 4th time through the Aubrey/Maturin books, I almost called you Captain Jack.)

I always enjoy hearing about people falling in love with their carbon guitars. I know I love my Emerald X20!
Old 10-24-2016, 06:07 PM
Guest 928

You are a lucky man! I figure you must also be a good man otherwise no woman would treat you so good. Maybe you should write a song about it?
Old 10-24-2016, 08:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
You are a lucky man! I figure you must also be a good man otherwise no woman would treat you so good. Maybe you should write a song about it?
Yes, I am a lucky man, and I try to be a good man. We do support each other; been together since high school. A song... for a lot of years, she was my only audience. I picked songs for her during that time. Good idea, Evan.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:17 AM
Guest 928

Jim;

My partner, Barbara, and I are coming up to our 50th anniversary, wrote a song about it:

One quiet evening, while walking we met, from then on, our lives have been set.

Chorus: I've sometimes wondered, how life would now be, if I had not found, her love for me.

Love sweet love, Oh so fine, she knows I'm hers, I know she's mine.

Chorus

Many years later, with help from above, still together, must be love.

Chorus

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber