The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 10-15-2018, 11:57 AM

Default Irish Bouzouki. What pick to use?

I have a difficult time coming up with a proper pick (plectrum) for my Irish Bouzouki. I’m good with all my guitars but the I.B., not so much. I play non aggressively, I would say, and mainly strum. My picks are too stiff or too weak, or just the wrong fit, it seems. I need something more fitting to this wonderful instrument.

What are you guys using?
Old 10-15-2018, 12:02 PM

Rounded triangle, either celluloid or BlueChip TP40. I find the shape helps it glide off the strings more easily than a teardrop shape. YMMV.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:36 PM

I see in your sig. you have a Martin 12. I too have a Martin 12 and a TC Bouzouki. I am strictly a beginner on the bouzouki and mostly strum. I use the same pick on the bouzouki as I use on my 12 (a planet waves sure grip light). I do play the mando and use a heavier pick but I cannot use it on the bouzouki.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:48 PM

When did the Bouzouki become Irish?
Old 10-16-2018, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
Introduced in the mid-60s (Johnny Moynihan) to early 70s (Alec Finn, Donal Lunny and others). Generally, the Irish version is a tetrachord (4 course) with a flat or arched back rather than the staved back of the Greek version.

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Grenier View Post
I have a difficult time coming up with a proper pick (plectrum) for my Irish Bouzouki. I’m good with all my guitars but the I.B., not so much. I play non aggressively, I would say, and mainly strum. My picks are too stiff or too weak, or just the wrong fit, it seems. I need something more fitting to this wonderful instrument.

What are you guys using?
What gauge strings do you use out of curiosity? I have the same bouzouki and matching Octave Mandolin and I do everything from heavy strumming to jigs on both. I am using 16-52 strings. They make both instruments come to life and for picks I am using the Dunlop Primetone 1.0.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
Yeah, there are two types of bouzoukis. Bouzouki has been huge in the celtic scene for quite some time.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:36 PM

I use a .90 rounded triangle celluloid pick
Old 10-18-2018, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
What gauge strings do you use out of curiosity? I have the same bouzouki and matching Octave Mandolin and I do everything from heavy strumming to jigs on both. I am using 16-52 strings. They make both instruments come to life and for picks I am using the Dunlop Primetone 1.0.
I use the same gauge as the originals 12-40 octave. As mentioned, I am not a “heavy” strummer so that gauge works for me. 16-52 can take much more of a beating but they would be too heavy for me, I think. Cheers
Old 10-18-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Grenier View Post
I use the same gauge as the originals 12-40 octave. As mentioned, I am not a “heavy” strummer so that gauge works for me. 16-52 can take much more of a beating but they would be too heavy for me, I think. Cheers
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I am a heavy strummer at times but my preference for 16-52 has more to do with the overall tone. I find the 12-40 to sound too thin. I remember when I did a search online for TC Octave mandolins and bouzoukis, I got a lot of recommendations for switching to thicker, mandola strings. I am glad I did. I actually don't find them difficult to play. It's all personal preference though.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments