The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 06-30-2018, 01:59 PM

Default Stronger nails?

HI,

I guess this topic has already turned up, because my question is very simple. I only play with fingers and nails (spanish and folk guitars). But often I break one of my nails. Is there a solution to make them stronger? Indestructible!
Thanks
Old 06-30-2018, 02:14 PM

If you aren't using an etched glass nail fail that would be a help as they seal in the nail's moisture and prevent brittleness. I think some of the powdered nail filings are rubbed into any gaps/pores in the nail edge which helps seal them and makes them very smooth.
Old 06-30-2018, 03:56 PM

My wife and I both found using the inexpensive vitamin Biotin dramatically increased nail strength and growth rate. We are in our sixties, and our nails have never been stronger.
Old 06-30-2018, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringjunky2 View Post
If you aren't using an etched glass nail fail that would be a help as they seal in the nail's moisture and prevent brittleness. I think some of the powdered nail filings are rubbed into any gaps/pores in the nail edge which helps seal them and makes them very smooth.
Wolfram glass files are the best. Excellent for nail maintenance. However, your theory about powdered filings rubbing into nail pores - pretty far fetched.
Old 06-30-2018, 09:02 PM

Not really an answer to your question, but have you considered using fingernail picks?
Old 07-01-2018, 06:41 AM

I’m 71, and having the same problem. The last couple of years my nails have become really problematic. Due to an injury, my right thumbnail has a permanent ridge that’s prone to cracking. The rest are just fragile.

There are a number of approaches (and a lot of previous discussion if you do a search.)
One is false nails intended for guitar players. I just looked at their website and it looks like installation is fairly complex....

There’s the method James Taylor has used for many years, with a nice video from J.T. On YouTube:

https://youtu.be/7BqISqpMRo8

Or, many nail salons can apply acrylic nails that you can shape yourself.

I haven’t pulled the trigger on any of these yet, but it’s getting really annoying to get the nails to optimum playing length and then...Broken.
Old 07-01-2018, 06:50 AM

I really think the false nails, acrylic ones of even the fingernail picks would be a long term solution.

Not wearing down or breaking nails is almost like expecting to drive a car and not wearing the tires.

Though you can make them stronger, they'll break eventually.

The James Taylor video posted above is a good way to go, or at least to get started.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

Years ago, I was told to drink more milk, and eat more cheese (real cheese not processed muck. That seemed to do the trick, but back in the 70s we weren't worrying about cholesterol.

My cholesterol is in good shape now, but I can no longer take cheese, but my nails are far thicker than ever and need trimming weekly.

I think the one hint I could give is to keep them as short as possible as long as they still give you clean string contact.
Old 07-01-2018, 03:56 PM

Default I have strong nails

Not really answering your question. But even with strong nails I end up breaking a nail anyways. So frustrating because it completely changes the feel and technique while playing. My last ''a'' nail broke while going for the gas cap on my car. Go figure.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:12 AM

Hi everyone,
Thanks a lot for your answers.

-I've tried fingernail picks and false nails and my sound is bad.or at least not as good as expected. And I don't like the sensation either.

-I eat a lot of cheese (I'm French) and it doesn't change much

Now I have 3 new things to discover thanks to you : The vitamine Biotine that I hadn't heard of and the glass file that I now see on video for the first time.

James Taylor seems to be a good advisor as well. Great video. I'll try that

Thanks again.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

Not trying to be completely negative, just passing on my personal experience.

I've tried every dietary trick, vitamin supplement, and gimmick recommended on this and other guitar forums. None of them helped me get longer, stronger nails.

My "M" nail has a hard ridge down the middle, which cracks as soon as the nail gets long enough to make good string contact. My "A" nail has two such ridges and it has decided to curl down between them and then break at inconvenient times (generally while playing). My thumb nail ("P") also has a ridge that cracks regularly, but fortunately (or not) it is on the right side of the nail so even after filing the crack down I usually have enough nail on the left side to engage the string.

Since I'll be 70 years old in a couple months I don't think this is going to get any better. Despite my guitar teacher encouraging my playing with nails I'm leaning hard toward going back to playing with my finger tips.

Dave
Old 07-02-2018, 08:35 PM

My A fingernail has a ridge down the center and used to crack regularly. I found a nail nourishing cream called Hard as Hoof that has helped. I rub it into the nail every day. After it dries, I put a very small dab of Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails on the part of the nail that extends past the finger. That's a plastic coating kind of product, not a 'nourishing' one. My nail hasn't cracked once since I started this regimen.

I should add that I like short nails -- just visible over the finger. I had longer nails at one point but didn't prefer them.
Old 07-04-2018, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

Lots of ideas here:

https://www.classicalguitardelcamp.c...forum.php?f=87
Old 07-09-2018, 07:16 AM

I decided to try the method James Taylor uses, with the silk or Fiberglas wraps and the acrylic nail glue.

So far, so good. These are not difficult to apply, though I really need to get a pair of left-handed nail scissors.
After a bit of filing and shaping the sound is (to me....) no different from the natural nail... Which is expected as the contact point is still your own nails. This is just reinforcement over the top.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
Not trying to be completely negative, just passing on my personal experience.

I've tried every dietary trick, vitamin supplement, and gimmick recommended on this and other guitar forums. None of them helped me get longer, stronger nails.

My "M" nail has a hard ridge down the middle, which cracks as soon as the nail gets long enough to make good string contact. My "A" nail has two such ridges and it has decided to curl down between them and then break at inconvenient times (generally while playing). My thumb nail ("P") also has a ridge that cracks regularly, but fortunately (or not) it is on the right side of the nail so even after filing the crack down I usually have enough nail on the left side to engage the string.

Since I'll be 70 years old in a couple months I don't think this is going to get any better. Despite my guitar teacher encouraging my playing with nails I'm leaning hard toward going back to playing with my finger tips.

Dave
Almost the same story for me. I have psoriasis that attacks my fingernails making it impossible to use them. It hit me in my 30's after playing for a good ten years and depending on nails. I gave up classical guitar entirely because it was so frustrating. Then I decided to pick it up again and play with no nails at all. The freedom of not being dependent on nails is just wonderful. I'd never go back, not that I could, but still...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical