The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-19-2018, 12:09 PM

Default Aquila Rubino

Hi

I have just bought some Aquila Rubino trebles. I normally use high tension carbon trebles but wanted to give these a try for their unique material.

What are people's opinions of these strings? I put some on last night, here is what I think so far (this is a perspective from someone who normally uses HT carbon strings):

I believe they are nylon (or some form of it) with copper powder, which increases the density of the string. This means that they are thinner strings than nylon, but seem to be similar in diameter to carbons.

I have not stopped playing because it has given my guitar an interesting flavour. They are brighter than nylon but don't have the overtones or crystalline sound of carbons.
The appear more focused than carbon, more emphasis on the fundamental. They have a 'thicker' sound than carbons. It's like I now have a better perception of the individual strings and notes, more separation without so many overtones.

For volume, they are loud enough and I am happy. Sometimes people say that carbon is perceived to be louder, but does not project as well. Something to do with all the overtones that do not project far but are easily heard by the player. These Rubino strings do sound slightly quieter than the knobloch CX HTs that I had on previously, but I believe it is more for a lack of those extra over tones. I would bet that they project equally well over a room or larger space. I would love to test this, or see some results. I may even guess that the Rubino strings project slightly better as they seem to have more emphasis on that fundamental (this is all speculation).

The tension is somewhat high, but nothing higher than carbon. for me it is fine, in fact I would prefer a slightly higher tension 3rd string but for most players I think there is plenty enough tension. I can get a little buzz from the 3rd string on the 3rd, 4th and 5th fret when playing very hard. I haven't had that before. I have flamenco guitar action (low).

They have only been on for one evening and a morning, so I will have to see how they settle in. I was pleasantly surprised that they had stretched very little over night, compared to when I first put a set of carbon strings on. They did however stretch a lot when installing the strings.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos

Last edited by sirwhale; 11-03-2018 at 12:51 AM.
Old 10-20-2018, 11:37 AM

I'm not experienced with these - did go over to Strings By Mail site to read some comments, several mentioning breakage when tuning up to pitch. Since you prefer using higher tension strings, are you in any way a little hesitant to really dig in on these?
Old 10-20-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax Burgess View Post
I'm not experienced with these - did go over to Strings By Mail site to read some comments, several mentioning breakage when tuning up to pitch. Since you prefer using higher tension strings, are you in any way a little hesitant to really dig in on these?
Yes I believe the older version of the strings broke sometimes, but since a year ago I believe Aquila have new versions on the market that don't appear to brake.

In terms of my playing I often dig in hard, I can be quite a rough player when I'm playing blues. I get some fret slap at times, its just part of the dirtiness. Anyway, I prefer that percussive fret-slap sound from these Rubino strings compared to fluorocarbons. In fact, this is why I like the high tension strings because they put up with my abuse much better.

I have a carbon fibre rod in the neck of my guitar, and I'm not worried about high tension strings causing any warping. I also use medium tension basses so the tension is quite even across all strings.

Last edited by sirwhale; 10-21-2018 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:32 AM

Here is a comparison of the Aquila Rubino trebles with the Knoblochs CX (high tension) (same basses, different trebles):

Last edited by sirwhale; 10-21-2018 at 08:30 AM.
Old 10-28-2018, 08:14 AM

I can say that these are fast becoming my favourite strings.

There is another version of these strings called Granato which have a very slightly larger gauge for the trebles, and different ratios in the basses for a more flamenco style sound.

I think these will be my next experiment.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:05 AM

You have said that you prefer carbons, before trying these Aquilas. Other than carbons and Aquilas, is/was there a brand/string type that you found satisfaction with?
Old 10-29-2018, 10:20 AM

I have limited experience with nylon, because I prefer fluorocarbons.

I wasn't so fond of the Aquila Alabastro either, because they have a soft sound which is good for some things but not what I am after. I just prefer a brighter sound. Some people love them.

I tried the Aquila Zaffiro strings too. I liked them more than Alabastro but not as much as fluorocarbon strings. I took them off my guitar I put them on one of the guitars in my school. The kids loved them compared to the usual nylon strings they are used to.

Last edited by sirwhale; 10-29-2018 at 01:03 PM.
Old 10-29-2018, 05:56 PM

I'm game, will order a set. I think their clarity will threaten my eardrums - I find the Alabastros to be a little sharp. Give me an idea of your guitar's characteristic sound, where its strength is.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:58 AM

Well, it's a flamenco negra. Has a strong bass response, which does not need helping. But the trebles are good and loud too.

It definitely isn't a flamenco blanca which have ample treble and little bass.
Old 10-30-2018, 11:43 AM

I listened to your Camps on three sites, nice sounding guitar. I'll order two sets of the Rubinos and apply them to guitars that have already had carbons and Aquilas on them, adding to my notes. Your impressions are certainly intriguing. By the way, are the Rubino basses worth considering?
Old 10-30-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax Burgess View Post
I listened to your Camps on three sites, nice sounding guitar. I'll order two sets of the Rubinos and apply them to guitars that have already had carbons and Aquilas on them, adding to my notes. Your impressions are certainly intriguing. By the way, are the Rubino basses worth considering?
The basses that come with the Rubino trebles. Well, I have seen mixed reviews, but personally I like them. They are not bright basses, but they do give my bottom end some extra growl that I like, especially in drop D. At the moment I am happy enough to buy the Rubino trebles and basses together and just use those.

I believe, the basses in the Rubino set are the same as those in the Alabastro set, with the nylgut rather than nylon core.

The Rubino trebles are incredibly stable after the initial stretch to get them up to pitch. After just one of two days they didn't need tuning up anymore.

I'm looking forward to you opinion.
Old 11-09-2018, 03:55 PM

Three strings tried on three very different guitars. CFCFAC tuning.

Rainsong NP12A (micarta saddle)
- Aquila Rubino Normal (powerfully lush and smoky presence, balanced, good but slightly subdued fretters)
++ Savarez 500 CRJ Corum New Cristal Mixed - ST trebles, HT basses (powerful, firm, balanced, ringing)
+ Hannabach Super Carbon Goldin Trebles MHT w/ PEPESR Romero basses - (seamless transition from #3 to #4, loud, focused, a bit constrained/tight when fretted, stiff tension)

Breedlove Passport N200/CMP (corian saddle)
++ Aquila Rubino Normal (basses dry, but lively, trebles ringing quality when played hard, balanced, good fretters)
- Savarez 500 CRJ Corum New Cristal Mixed - HT basses, ST trebles (trebles run out of steam above the 12 fret, otherwise good flamenco character)
+ Hannabach Super Carbon Goldin Trebles MHT w/ Aquila Perla normal basses (a jump from #3 to #4, a ringing dryness, good definition, dryish fretters, progressively drier over the body)

Aranjuez no. 6 (bone saddle)
+++ Aquila Rubino Normal w/ La Bella 2001 Medium Hard basses (very good fretters, a guttural clarity with that has some ringing when played firmly, when played softly, sweet, clear, and delicate)
+++ Savarez 500 CRJ Corum New Cristal Mixed - HT basses, ST trebles (balanced, full, stern, good fretters, pretty glorious when digging in)
+++ Hannabach Super Carbon Goldin Trebles MHT w/ La Bella 2001 Medium Hard basses (excellent volume, crisp and full, fantastic when digging in, ringing, good to excellent fretters, firm tension)
Old 11-10-2018, 12:25 AM

Thanks for the report Bax

Interesting tuning to try them on.

I can say that I am really liking the Rubino basses on my guitar too. These are a real winner for me. I typically play in standard or Drop D, with a few songs in Open G.

I'm hoping to record a song this weekend.

Last edited by sirwhale; 11-10-2018 at 02:07 AM.
Old 11-10-2018, 07:45 AM

I've tried the listed strings on the Breedlove, which has a dry, Flamenco-ish character. The Rubinos have a degree of richness that sets them apart from the others. Play them delicately, so lightly sweet. The rich Rubino basses are in balance with the trebles on the Rainsong and the Breedlove - did not try them on the Aranjuez. I wouldn't be surprised if the Aranjuez does well with just about any string. I tried La Bella 2001 Medium Hards on it, and they did no worse than "balanced, nothing outstanding". The Perlas were a good bit drier than the Rubinos on both the Breedlove and the Rainsong.

Savarez 500 CRJ Corum New Cristal Mixed
D'Addario Pro Arte Carbon EJ46FF Hard
Thomastik-Infeld Classic N Superlona CF128
Dogal Diamante Regular NR127B
Pepe Romero Fluorocarbon Trebles Hard GFH
Aquila Rubino Normal
Aquila Perla Normal 37C
Hannabach Super Carbon Goldin Trebles MHT Treble Set

Last edited by Bax Burgess; 11-10-2018 at 07:51 AM.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

I hope we keep this thread going.

I’m a newbie experimenting with strings and these comparisons are very helpful to me.

I’ve tried the Pearse/Infeld strings and found them to sound too much like steel strings. Nylon is too subdued for me, but I like the Knobloch CXs that I have on now, but I wouldn’t mind just a tad brighter; especially on the third.

I think I’ll try the Rubinos next, so I look forward to what all of you have to say about them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical