The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-20-2018, 04:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
In my post I had meant to type: "It was interesting how very much the same the different gear sounded." There were guitar recordings in the listeningsessions. That
was a major comparison. Too bad that website has disappeared.

It's vary rare to be able to draw any accurate conclusions how gear will perform for ones self from such shootouts but they are fun nevertheless.
Yeah, I agree with the same. I liked the listeningsessions stuff, too. There have been others with guitar, too, but I often find myself thinking the guitar just sounds unlike what I'm looking for, which makes it hard to know what the weak link in the chain is.
You Tube Channel
Fingerstyle Christmas Tunes: A DADGAD Christmas
CDs: Closing Time, Laurel Mill
Pickup tests: http://www.dougyoungguitar.com/pickuptests/
Old 10-20-2018, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRuskin View Post
The FMR Audio RNP is a great little unit. Street price is about $475 for a 2-channel unit. I had a client who swore by them for everything including his old RCA 44BX ribbon.
I know a few people with small studios who use those. They are a good value.

Too many acoustic & electric guitars, basses, mandolins, violins, dulcimers, trumpets & percussion instruments to list.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
This is wonderful information...as this is something that I could easily afford and gets me into a the Tube pre to experiment with...Nice to have alternatives.
What about the company that mods the Art? are you
familiar with that.
http://www.reviveaudio.com/index.php...product_id=197
I was not familiar with that company. I took a quick look and noticed that the unit they are dealing with is not the original Pro MPA that I was talking about. That was a mark II version. I can't vouch for that version.

Oh and another old one that was much better than it should have been for the price was the JoeMeek VC3Q (preamp, EQ & compressor in a half-rack). Again, this is a discontinued model that was about $400 new back in the mid-'90s and now can be had for a song. I liked them because they had character without getting in the way. I had a few of those that I used for live recordings because I could stick them on stage and plug just about anything into them. They were work-horses & built solid.

Too many acoustic & electric guitars, basses, mandolins, violins, dulcimers, trumpets & percussion instruments to list.
Old 10-21-2018, 02:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Spend a couple of grand upping the room acoustics. Be prepared to record the same piece a few times with mike positioning variations and go with the best.
Rick, my small studio has been fully treated, up to a point where it is dead flat. The problem for me is (and that's probably the same for most amateurs like me) that I am recording and mixing in the same room. For vocals and mixing it is pretty well suited but for recording acoustic guitar I could use a larger space and more room ambience. The only thing I can do is rolling up the carpet. Before I cut the knot and ordered the Gefell M 300's I did quite some experimenting with my U87 to find out if that would suffice for my acoustic guitar. But it did not provide much (more) room ambience (for obvious reasons) and left me with a mono track. I value your advice highly and will certainly do a lot with mic positioning variations as soon as I get my Gefells.

My lyrics and music on Youtube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD