The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 10-02-2018, 03:18 PM

Default Do double bass strings break easier than regular bass strings

Given the amount of tension Double bass strings are under assuming the same thickness. About 1.5 times the tension of regular. I'd imagine Upright bass strings a bit thinner than regular.

https://www.liutaiomottola.com/formulae/tension.htm I calculated what the tension would be of a standard bass set using the D addario tension chart I got similar numbers to the link below.

http://jordankirkness.tripod.com/dbstringtension.html

Last edited by guitar344; 10-02-2018 at 03:25 PM.
Old 10-02-2018, 04:54 PM

Default Do double bass strings break easier than regular bass strings?

During my high-school years in the late-60's I played double bass on (according to my subsequent research and recollections) a circa-1940 Kay instrument, still equipped with what were almost certainly the original gut strings (the music department was brass/woodwind-oriented, and it was painfully - literally - obvious that no setup or maintenance work had ever been done during its lifetime). That said, I'd tend to think that double-bass strings are intrinsically quite durable and, given their expense (over $600 for a traditional gut string set, with $200-300 being routine for top-quality "modern" materials) and the nature of the instrument to which they're fitted, they should be - as long as they're not subjected to unreasonable conditions...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments