The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-16-2015, 06:48 AM

Got around to gluing the fretboards onto two of the guitars.

Was kind of disappointing with the cedar topped pine guitar. No bass and thin sounding. Oh well, probably will not make another one like it again so no big deal. The spruce topped cherry also is a disappointment. The tuners are a cheap set I bought online and the two middle gears are almost impossible to turn when the strings are close to the proper tension. These are a smaller size than regular slot head tuners so I can not just replace them with another set. Poor manufacturing, maybe one day I will spend some time getting them to work. A lot of work between these two that did not pan out.

For some strange reason I picked up the cedar one again today. Actually did not sound too bad. Maybe the wood got the idea it is a guitar now. There is some fret buzz on the middle two strings. The saddle has a flatter radius than the neck so the two strings are closer down to the fretboard than the others. If I get a higher saddle and shape it I should be ok. It is so nice and easy to play with the lower tension of the 22" scale length and thin neck along with the small body. Think I will be spending quite a bit of time with this one. I was going to give this one away but I think I will thin out the neck on the first guitar I made and give that one to my niece's husband. It is a little prettier than this one and he liked it when he first played it.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:52 PM

Wanted to trim the braces of the cedar one. Made myself a mini plane.

Kind of awkward sticking your arm in a small guitar and trying to shave the braces. In the end it was easier just to use a chisel holding the edge on my fingertip and whittle away. Would have saved me a few hours knowing that beforehand, well at least its cute.
Old 05-19-2015, 04:52 AM

Way to go. You do not mess around when it comes to trying new things do you! Cool.

Sam
Old 05-19-2015, 07:42 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

I admire your dedication. I have trouble making sure I put my pants on frontwards in the morning.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

Looks great p2, keep posting the pics.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:25 PM

Thanks guys. Glad you are enjoying it.

Found this online, might be of interest to a few.

http://logosfoundation.org/kursus/Th...nstruments.pdf
Old 05-29-2015, 08:17 PM

So I have the two Cedar and Pine guitars strung up, my original one and the one from a couple posts up. The recent one could use a little more bass as far as I am concerned. Wondered what the difference in the spectrum plot of the guitars would look like. Set up the mic and did one, put down the guitar and did the other one trying to do everything the same.

Both guitars were built with the same woods, the tops cut from the same board, the sides, backs and bracing are roughly the same. The latest guitar is about half an inch less deep than the original, also the sides were doubled up on the inside of the lining.

The first plot is the original, the lowest peak is the soundhole resonance, the second peak is the top resonance. You can see that the original has a higher peak for the top resonance than the second. The second one also has a third peak at around 260 Hz, looks like the back resonance. The big dip before it is due to a phase change that you get in between two resonances that are near to each other. The first guitar's back is not that active, the second more so.

Similarities to the plots which is not surprising as they have the same outline and bridge location. The plot differences could be attributed to the differences in their construction. Can't say for certain, only two guitars to go by. Shame I did not finish the pine topped ones.
Old 06-01-2015, 11:05 AM

Interesting stuff. I'm assuming this is an application on a PC? What application performs this analysis? And what kind of microphone do you use?
Old 06-01-2015, 04:32 PM

Visual Analyser. A USB mic that I bought in a second hand store. Actually quite surprised that it sounds pretty good.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
Visual Analyser. A USB mic that I bought in a second hand store. Actually quite surprised that it sounds pretty good.
If you've got a microphone, can you upload a sample of your most recent work?
Old 06-01-2015, 09:18 PM

The little Cherry one has a problem with the tuners being crap and it is almost impossible to turn them and tune at tension. Going to have to do some work to them. I just looked back a few pages and I can not see the video of my Walnut. What the heck, post it again. Please excuse the images, my brother was just playing around with some editing software and threw it up on YouTube for me to see. He got bored with it and this is how far it went. A buddy at work did a quick recording of it. Acoustic is not really his thing but I think it sounds ok.

Old 06-07-2015, 03:37 PM

Made a Dremel mill of sorts a while back, thought it was a good idea but never used it for anything other than the saddle slot for bridges. Could have made it simpler if that was its only function. Well it actually got another job to do today. Making a experimental guitar and did not want to bother with an adjustable truss rod but instead wanted to use a 1/8" piece of aluminum. Made a quick carriage for the neck, no shortage of clamps, and ran it back and forth a number of times and the slot was cut. Actually worked pretty good.

Old 06-21-2015, 12:21 PM

Was talking to a guy in a crew trimming trees in the neighborhood. Was hoping to get a piece of oak for someone at work that wanted to grow mushrooms on it. Then I thought, they probably cut down large trees, wonder if they come across something I can build a guitar out of. Asked him if they can give me a call if they see something useful. Found a piece of a tree on my driveway one day.

Kind of small and I didn't notice it for a day or two and the ends were starting to check. Stripped the bark off it and split it into quarters. Waxed the ends, stickered and clamped them together.

The last picture shows that the wood split a little on the surface. Hope it is not prevalent in the rest. Hope to get at least one ukelele out of the bunch.
Old 06-21-2015, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
The last picture shows that the wood split a little on the surface. Hope it is not prevalent in the rest. Hope to get at least one ukelele out of the bunch.
Is that oak? Kinda looks like white oak. Split and quarter sawn... could be some good stuff if it dries well. I'm also wanting to build a ukulele at some point. My mom plays and the prospect of building one for her is a bright one.
Old 06-21-2015, 01:46 PM

No big pores so not oak, I was told ash.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair