The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-03-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
If I still lived in Jersey I would have a RainSong. I thought about the labels as well... not made to last as long as the guitars 8 to 500 thousand years
I’m glad I’m not the only one obsessive enough to have that thought! To be fair, had rain water & a customers beer stain soundhole labels.

I was thinking some of a polyurethane sealer, but even easier would be some thick “glue size” made with distilled water & exterior-rated PVA like Titebond 2 or 3.

It’s interesting that w/ a CF guitar, you’re not harvesting lumber, but the material’s manufacturing isn’t really “green.”

But, like you said, w/o the smallest maintenance, a CF guitar lass virtually indefinitely. How many items does that apply to, in our “single use” world?

Imagine if every Strad, Guarneri, Loar, & Pre-War Martin were still around & in perfect condition!
Old 08-03-2019, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.macdonnell View Post
Imagine if every Strad, Guarneri, Loar, & Pre-War Martin were still around & in perfect condition!

Would not be worth as much for one thing
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 08-03-2019, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
If you would like a static cling pickguard PM or email me your address and I'll send you one.

@jonfields45 has sent me a couple of these for my Shorty, and they are great!!!
Old 08-18-2019, 06:48 AM
Guest 720

[QUOTE=Finger Stylish;6040282]
I have tested almost every string out there on my Rainsong, and the Martin Retro Custom Lights are what I've been using for 2 years. Great long lasting strings.[/QUOTE

Agreed, those strings are what I have settled on as well, though I think they need a few days to settle.
Old 08-18-2019, 06:50 AM
Guest 720

Great review! I pretty much feel the same about my Rainsong, just love that guitar!
Old 08-24-2019, 06:47 AM

I had a CH-OM for several months. Sold it. At times I have regretted it. Here's a list of what I liked and what I didn't like so much, and as you will see there's some overlap between the two lists. Sometimes I wonder if I should have hung in there with it a bit longer because I think some of the stuff I didn't like so much could have been remedied. Who knows, maybe one day I'll try one again if the opportunity is there. Overall - a very nice and impressive instrument

What I liked:
  • The durability and weather-resistant benefits of CF
  • The size
  • The surprisingly big tone
  • The piano like harmonics and responsiveness - even fifth fret harmonics would just jump out of the guitar

What I didn't like so much:
  • The 12 fret neck. There were times, although not many, that I would run out of real estate/comfort when playing higher up the neck
  • The extremely flat radius of the fingerboard combined with the 1.75 nut width. It was great for some fingerstyle but a bit fatiguing for all-around playing. My gig covers a pretty wide range of material and I have average sized hands.
  • The piano like harmonics and responsiveness. Ha - yeah, I know it was in my "likes" list too, but for some things I'd miss the warmth of a wood guitar. But I also realize that different tools are required for different jobs, and probably no one single instrument will be all things to all people.
  • There was something about the neck material combined with the fret markers that would make the fret markers almost disappear under certain lighting on some stages. We played one place where the rear stage lights were red and I had trouble seeing where I was on the neck...which was interesting because I've played for a LONG time and I guess I never realized that I subconsciously refer to the side dots and/or fingerboard markers. Although I wonder if part of that was the 12 fret neck?
  • The built in preamp/pickup system was a bit cold and bright, but I'm thinking now that could have been remedied with the Baggs Session DI I picked up recently - does wonders.
Old 08-24-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geewhiz View Post
What I didn't like so much:
  • There was something about the neck material combined with the fret markers that would make the fret markers almost disappear under certain lighting on some stages. We played one place where the rear stage lights were red and I had trouble seeing where I was on the neck...which was interesting because I've played for a LONG time and I guess I never realized that I subconsciously refer to the side dots and/or fingerboard markers. Although I wonder if part of that was the 12 fret neck?

These are perl dot decals from www.inlaystickers.com also available on Amazon with two coats of clear nail polish (one coat does not seem to be enough).
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 08-24-2019, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post

These are perl dot decals from www.inlaystickers.com also available on Amazon with two coats of clear nail polish (one coat does not seem to be enough).
I had the same problem with my CH-OM, couldn't see the side dots with certain types of lighting. I bought a white paint marker and that did the trick. It does wear out and you have to re do it, but not a big deal for me.
Old 09-01-2019, 06:25 AM
Guest 720

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
I had the same problem with my CH-OM, couldn't see the side dots with certain types of lighting. I bought a white paint marker and that did the trick. It does wear out and you have to re do it, but not a big deal for me.
I haven't ever had an issue with the side markers, though mine did come with the shark inlays (a request by me, so almost like the Shorty that was offered) so I wonder if when they are added, different side markers go with them? If I did have an issue though, nail polish, or white paint marker, like you used would be what I would do. I have no idea what would be involved in trying to put in brighter/larger dots. I also wonder now if that could be requested in a custom build?
Old 09-01-2019, 06:55 AM

I have been thinking of changing the side fret markers on my OF660 for the same reason. Lots of videos available, for example this one from StewMac https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnNOfXGBKAs.

I haven't done it, but plan to once activities turn back to indoors (meaning the golf course closes). Looks to reasonably easy.
Old 09-01-2019, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerhead View Post
I haven't ever had an issue with the side markers, though mine did come with the shark inlays (a request by me, so almost like the Shorty that was offered) so I wonder if when they are added, different side markers go with them? If I did have an issue though, nail polish, or white paint marker, like you used would be what I would do. I have no idea what would be involved in trying to put in brighter/larger dots. I also wonder now if that could be requested in a custom build?
The CH series has a mat finish on the neck which makes the side dots harder to see in low light. I've got two gloss RainSongs and the dots appear identical but more visible under gloss. Also the sharks and fingerboard dots between the two don't hurt either.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Tags
carbon fiber, rainsong, review