The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-31-2015, 07:19 PM

Default Alvarez RF8 redo, now preamp install

Once the top refinishing was over and she was reassembled I installed the new preamp. I used a cheapo Vics Boutique-4M off Ebay. I liked the fact that it has a condenser Mic you can mix in, similar to the Fishman Classic4t-Blend I used in my Martin. The mic is even in a foam windscreen with adhesive backing just like the Fishman.

It has a flip up battery access like the old Fishmans, too. The mic has it's own volume knob and has no EQ control, only the Piezo gets the EQ. The built in tuner is very dazzling with a color display that changes color as you get closer to in tune and a power button that mutes when in use.

The mic works very well but the piezo sensor is very tall so I used a coaxial one I had laying around that is rather low output, but didn't need as deep a slot to get the saddle at the right height. The mic is very bright, but doesn't feedback much at all. Mixed with the piezo helps the bass nicely.

The unit is much better then the other Chinese blend preamps I've tried...

Martin DC-1E (gen1)
Laurel Canyon LA-100

Last edited by elroyjetsn; 08-31-2015 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Add link to Ebay listing

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
alvarez rf8, blend, preamp, review, vics