The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-17-2014, 04:22 PM

Holy moly!! First of all, excellent playing! Very nice recording, too. The sound is brilliant. Thanks for sharing and congratulations.

Brad
Old 07-17-2014, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

Beautiful guitar (to say the least!) ... and just about the best sounding, most musical and heartfelt playing I've heard in a LONG time. Thanks for posting.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usb_chord View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Brian,

Lovely playing of a very pretty piece on a fantastic guitar! I thought your review was quite accurate and matches my own experience with the Sheppard GA that I own.

Well done Brian!

Glenn
Thanks, Glenn! Yeah, it's a great guitar. VERY different from my Borges! You have a African Blackwood Dream Series, right? ...
Hi Brian,

I have a Sheppard GA Ave Maria, European spruce over BRW. Mine is a little fancy, a real work of art, actually. I bought it used from Billy Boy of this forum. Your guitar and mine have a very similar sound, though. Maybe mine has a little more treble, but that may be because I am using the brightest possible strings on mine (Martin SP 80/20 light) to balance off the big bass response that Gerald seems to get with his GA design.

I really enjoyed hearing you play again, Brian. That was really well done.

- Glenn
Old 09-10-2014, 03:05 PM

Thanks so much again for the chatter everyone. I've been in a quandary recently - trying to stay somewhat traditional, to not chase fads, nor worry about contemporary aesthetic trends. It's very tempting to get priorities out of place on musical instruments - tone is first - playability is second - at least that's the way it lines up for me as a player. I know aesthetics is important to many but I often find myself scratching my head when people place aesthetics at the top of the list on a fine instrument. I am pleased that folks like the aesthetics of my instruments but it honors me so much to hear people play my instruments because you enjoy the musical experience they receive from them. Thanks again Brian - I love your music!

Gerald Sheppard Guitars
http://www.SheppardGuitars.com
Ph: 423-349-5582 Eastern Time USA
Old 09-16-2014, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald Sheppard View Post
Thanks so much again for the chatter everyone. I've been in a quandary recently - trying to stay somewhat traditional, to not chase fads, nor worry about contemporary aesthetic trends. It's very tempting to get priorities out of place on musical instruments - tone is first - playability is second - at least that's the way it lines up for me as a player. I know aesthetics is important to many but I often find myself scratching my head when people place aesthetics at the top of the list on a fine instrument. I am pleased that folks like the aesthetics of my instruments but it honors me so much to hear people play my instruments because you enjoy the musical experience they receive from them. Thanks again Brian - I love your music!
When a guitar plays and responds as effortless as yours, all the superfluous stuff disappears. I think it's safe to say that playing a Sheppard guitar is a borderline religious experience! So thank you, Gerald; I love your guitars!
Old 09-23-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usb_chord View Post
When a guitar plays and responds as effortless as yours, all the superfluous stuff disappears. I think it's safe to say that playing a Sheppard guitar is a borderline religious experience! So thank you, Gerald; I love your guitars!
Aesthetic tastes change. For example, all my newest guitar acquisitions are non-traditional designs. My deep bodied Sheppard GA (ziricote and Engelmann) is the only traditional looking guitar I have left. It almost looks out of place in my music room. However, it will never go away. Why? Because of its huge orchestral voice and playability.

Congrats on your guitar usb-chord (and what wonderful playing by the way!) and more power to you Gerald.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:46 PM

As a result of this thread I placed my order for my own Deep Body GA Ave Maria from Gerald. I drove up to his shop from Florida and he spent several hours with me taking about his process and I got to pick out my wood sets (engelmann over BRW). I am beyond excited and grateful for the opportunity to spend that time with Gerald in his shop. I got to play some of his instruments and can say without a shadow of a doubt, these were some of the finest guitars I have ever played and I have gotten my hands on some pretty high end stuff over the years.

Should we start a fan club??
Rockbridge sj (2009)
Taylor BTO (GA with adi top/EIR B+S)

Old 09-24-2014, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordangatenby View Post
As a result of this thread I placed my order for my own Deep Body GA Ave Maria from Gerald. I drove up to his shop from Florida and he spent several hours with me taking about his process and I got to pick out my wood sets (engelmann over BRW). I am beyond excited and grateful for the opportunity to spend that time with Gerald in his shop. I got to play some of his instruments and can say without a shadow of a doubt, these were some of the finest guitars I have ever played and I have gotten my hands on some pretty high end stuff over the years.

Should we start a fan club??
First off, congrats!! Secondly, OF COURSE we should start a fanclub.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:46 PM
Guitar Gourmet

I agree that this is my kind of fingerstyle and that the guitar is a cannon! I've got a Taylor EI Rosewood/Engelman dread that is just dense and rich and full and "wet," so I know what you mean. I use it mostly for fingerstyle as well.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 09-26-2014, 10:38 PM
AGF Sponsor

Just played your video, Brian, and wow, I am stunned. You, and the Sheppard guitar, are a perfect pairing. Wow.
You play with such deft grace, and the lilting, conversational dynamics you bring to this piece makes it sooo listenable- like reminiscing with a good old friend.
And the sound of the guitar: Wow again! You said it has a "thick" sound; I would add, it's got incredible depth and dimension, and the sustain is grand-piano-istic. You might even call it "epochal" sustain. It just goes like that's the natural state of the woods...
So, as a guitar maker, I am deeply impressed, even awe-struck at how grand this guitar sounds, and how beautiful it looks.
And Brian, your playing is equally revelatory. I could listen to you play all day!
I'll say it again: You and this guitar are a great pair!
Old 09-27-2014, 12:27 PM

Thanks again all!

Gerald Sheppard Guitars
http://www.SheppardGuitars.com
Ph: 423-349-5582 Eastern Time USA

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
boutique, gerald sheppard, handmade guitar, review, usb_chord