The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-18-2017, 07:05 AM

Default Blackbird Carbon guitar (Lucky 13) why I love it. (review)

I purchased this wonderfull instruments from a very nice Brit in Spain. I love this guitar for many reasons:

1. Its extremely versatile. fingerpick Beatles, Bach, Bacharach or bossa nova its very good for "nylon stringed purposes."
2. Its jazzy and the neck is perfect for spiced (even fast) chordchanges.
3. Its lightweight and strong.
4. Folky flatpickers will love it too.
5. The Misi PU system works very well, there is no tuner on the guitar but it keeps in tune better than any wooden guitar. Guitar into PA or better a good acustic amp it sounds extremely good with other instruments.
6. It is so extremely playable, if you like fingerpicked blues you will love this guitar.
7. The very expensive wooden guitars probably have more overtones creating a richer sound overall (I have a Bozo and National Reso 12 stringed monster) but they dont have the versatility for every possible setting. This is your jam-session, travel, songwriting, in-the-mix workhorse that will never let you down.
8. Confession: I am a bassplayer who likes ukuleles a lot (can I still have freinds?) I love the sound of a balanced guitar which is not "too trebly"
9. If you buy this you (and your wife?) will probably realize you dont need a lot of guitars anymore.
10 Open tunings ? wonderfull tune back to the bizar EADGBE tuning takes seconds. The hollow neck is very very strong.
11 To REALLY hear it with extra soundhole in neck you need to stand in front of the guitar which is difficult while playing may I suggest you have someone else paly it also?

Many thanks to my English freinds for this buy.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on the L-13 - nice review.

In regards to #8: yes, you can still have friends. Ukuleles are kinda like the goofy younger brother to guitars. Friends will not, however, put up with a banjo... there are limits.

Enjoy your new guitar!
Old 09-18-2017, 07:47 AM

Thank you captain, we dont use the *anjo word in this house we have certain standards, even fretless *anjos are not allowed, except when played like this by Miss Giddens: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYuqnUs9gP8
Old 09-18-2017, 07:52 AM

Open C tuning sound very good, huge bass respons exactly how I want it. Malcolm newtone strings.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn Bjerke View Post
Thank you captain, we dont use the *anjo word in this house we have certain standards, even fretless *anjos are not allowed, except when played like this by Miss Giddens: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYuqnUs9gP8
A nylon string banjo??

Much nicer tone to my ear than steel strings. Banjo, you say?

Hmmmm. Got me thinking . . .
Old 09-18-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn Bjerke View Post
I purchased this wonderfull instruments from a very nice Brit in Spain. I love this guitar for many reasons:

1. Its extremely versatile. fingerpick Beatles, Bach, Bacharach or bossa nova its very good for "nylon stringed purposes."
2. Its jazzy and the neck is perfect for spiced (even fast) chordchanges.
3. Its lightweight and strong.
4. Folky flatpickers will love it too.
5. The Misi PU system works very well, there is no tuner on the guitar but it keeps in tune better than any wooden guitar. Guitar into PA or better a good acustic amp it sounds extremely good with other instruments.
6. It is so extremely playable, if you like fingerpicked blues you will love this guitar.
7. The very expensive wooden guitars probably have more overtones creating a richer sound overall (I have a Bozo and National Reso 12 stringed monster) but they dont have the versatility for every possible setting. This is your jam-session, travel, songwriting, in-the-mix workhorse that will never let you down.
8. Confession: I am a bassplayer who likes ukuleles a lot (can I still have freinds?) I love the sound of a balanced guitar which is not "too trebly"
9. If you buy this you (and your wife?) will probably realize you dont need a lot of guitars anymore.
10 Open tunings ? wonderfull tune back to the bizar EADGBE tuning takes seconds. The hollow neck is very very strong.
11 To REALLY hear it with extra soundhole in neck you need to stand in front of the guitar which is difficult while playing may I suggest you have someone else paly it also?

Many thanks to my English freinds for this buy.
Sounds like you like it..

Enjoy, and use it in good health.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:19 AM

Thx LA guitar ppl again: the neck is very impressive, its a very fine instrument overall
Old 09-18-2017, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

Welcome to the Lucky 13 club Finn! My L13 is in open C tuning right now. Sounds huge!
Old 09-18-2017, 05:27 PM

Congrats! I love my Lucky 13, it is somehow currently my only guitar. I'm sure I will eventually add another, but for now I'm pretty happy!
Old 09-18-2017, 09:44 PM

I think I agree with everything Finn says and reminds me that I need to spend more time with my Lucky. It's a wonderful little blues box with its haunting but slightly jangling sound.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 09-19-2017, 09:59 AM

While I have quite a stable of wood guitars, and a Rainsong WS-1000, I find the Lucky 13 to be my grab-n-go guitar, getting the most play time of all over the last few months. And I've had it for nearly a year now, so this isn't just a honeymoon phase infatuation.

L13 is louder than a small-bodied guitar should be (according to those listening out front) and handles all my alternate tunings well too. It kinda sealed the deal, and tipped me into getting rid of the wood guitars, as opportunities arise.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Tags
blackbird carbon, lucky 13, misi, review, versatility