The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-23-2016, 05:16 PM
Charter Member

Be sure to check this out if you haven't already as it's an awesome guitar!
Old 11-20-2016, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

Default Hearing and guitar tone etc

Tommy... I lost my sight as a teen-ager and it sort of bugs me when people say "Oh, you're blind, you must have amazing hearing!" No, I have the same ears as everybody else! I think that when you lose your sight though for example, you just learn to listen a heck of a lot better because you have to! I rehearsed and gigged with rock bands for years with no hearing protection too which was a mistake on my part!

As far as instruments I've owned over the years and had the chance to play etc, yes, tonally I find many combos appealing depending on context... I love the clarity, note definition, and punch of graphite/carbon fiber, I love the mellow sweetness of cedar and mahogany, I love the depth of spruce and Indian rosewood, and the snappy ness of maple... They all have their place I think. Of course, this is all subjective! I had a Taylor 410 ltd that was stolen when I was in college. It had a spruce top and koa back and sides if I remember correctly. That was a great combo;again, in my personal opinion!

There are many woods I haven't had first hand experience with yet;Tasmanian Blackwood, coca bolo, solid Brazilian rosewood etc. There are also some carbon fiber guitars I haven't had the chance to play yet...

Yes, it'd be cool to do more reviews but I only own one acoustic, one electric, and one bass right now. I'm not finding enough work currently so buying another guitar is not a priority right now. (Someday though, I'd love a room full of guitars like the one in Spinal Tap!) I've been trying to contact companies to see if they'd like me to review instruments but that has turned out to just be hours of wasted effort on my part unfortunately.
Old 11-21-2016, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studioman001 View Post
. (Someday though, I'd love a room full of guitars like the one in Spinal Tap!)

...and amps that go to 11 .

That movie is relentlessly hilarious!
Old 11-29-2016, 02:03 PM
Charter Member

Default strings...

Hey. Sorry I've missed a couple of posts on here and am just catching up now!

As for strings, I use Elixir nanoweb pb 80/20 12s on acoustic and 10s on electric. For me, they are the only string that keeps feeling fresh and has tone that lasts.

Thanks for all the feedback by the way!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Tags
acoustic, carbonfiber, emeraldguitars, guitar, review