The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-23-2014, 11:36 PM

Default New 000-16GT - impressions

So, very happy with the new guitar. Though I've played many acoustics over the years, this is the first time I've owned one with a solid wood body—and it's also my first Martin.

I'm surprised at how well it projects, considering that it's a 000 size rather than a dread. It's also incredibly responsive. I'm not an especially accomplished player and I'm able to fingerstrum with distinctive dynamics, even at a low volume level (in other words, strums can be either very quiet or quiet, and the difference is still distinct). With my old guitar (an all-laminate cheapy), the sound disappeared if I tried to dip below a certain volume level.

It can play loud, but it's not cannon. It only does 'ok' at very high volumes, whether picking or hand strumming, really giving it.

The guitar has a very beautiful tone. Sparkly but not brittle. And sound-wise there's just.... more of it, than with any guitar I've owned before. More fundamental, more overtones, more presence.

Mind you, the best guitar I owned before this one was a Norman (made in the same factory as Seagull and S&P), with laminated back and sides and a solid cedar top - today it would cost about $500.

Also, I may be a scalloped bracing convert - it's just so easy to pull the amount of sound you want from this thing.

Compared to the 16 series dread: the 000 sounds much like the D-16GT, which I also played and liked (and actually almost bought). However I find the 000-16GT produces more clarity in all registers and noticeably better balance. While the dread puts out louder bass, and overall is a slightly louder instrument, the bass it produces is more hollow and less defined. Now I don't want to call the D-16GT 'muffled', because it's still a very nice sounding guitar, but note-to-note separation and clarity isn't as distinct as the 000-16GT.

Micarta: I guess I have to talk about the composite fingerboard. Not a problem for me at all. The fretboard doesn't feel 'cheap', nor does it look cheap, even close up. It feels no better and no worse than ebony to me. But by most accounts, Micarta will never chip, split, or noticeably degrade during the life of the guitar. And I like the feel of my hands on the fretboard better than with comparable instruments (with wooden fretboards) from other manufacturers that I tried while shopping around.

To my ear, higher end guitars produce a complexity of tone approaching that of a piano. And that said, the current 16 series Martin instruments definitely put out less complex a tone than you'd get from a Martin that costs 3x as much. And you definitely can't play 16s as loud—mind you, most players seldom need that extra volume.

So, it likely depends where you're coming from. Someone with a taste for HD-28s probably wouldn't want one of these as their only guitar. But the 000-16GT is by far the nicest sounding guitar I've ever owned, and overall I like it much better than anything else I tested in the ballpark (about $1000), or within 500 dollars in either direction. The Martin was the one that grabbed me. I played lots of guitars, including various models from yamaha, taylor, larrivee, seagul, and S&P.

Pic:

Note that I swapped out the plastic bridge pins with black Tusq pins with fake abalone dots. I like the look. Don't notice a tonal difference, but the harder material will probably mean that the pins don't warp with repeated pulling/reseating over time.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisV; 03-24-2014 at 02:37 PM.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:12 AM

Enjoy your new guitar, Chris! It's a fine looking guitar.

My philosophy? When playing cultivate your enjoyment of any guitar you own as if it is and will be the only guitar you will ever own...

For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

2006 Art & Lutherie Ami Parlor: Solid Cedar Top/Wild Cherry Lam B&S/Black Satin Lacquer
2006 Art & Lutherie Dreadnought: Solid Cedar Top/Wild Cherry Lam B&S/Natural Satin Lacquer

You can't change the tide with an oar. ---Nick Bracco (Gary Ponzo)
Old 03-24-2014, 01:39 PM

I just got mine last week from Sweetwater... LOVE IT.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:15 PM

Congrats on your Martin! The 16 series are really great guitars. I almost bought a 000-16, but the nut width kept me from it. Killer guitar though! I know you'll enjoy it!

Great post too!
Old 03-24-2014, 03:48 PM

I LOVED my 000-16. After playing it and loving it for over a year I had to acknowledge I do better with wider necks. Just sold it last month but found it a good home.
Congratulations! Enjoy!
Old 03-25-2014, 01:41 PM

thanks guys. re: nut width, I spent a lot of time with a 000-15sm, decided to go with spruce top (seems more versatile, as this is my primary/everyday guitar now) but I really dug that wider nut and string spacing.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:45 PM

Congratulations. Glad to hear you love your new 000-16gt.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations! I own an OM-16GT (discontinued by Martin) and after 10 years, it sounds better than ever. Mine also has the micarta fretboard and it has held up well. Enjoy your new guitar!
Gibson J-45 Standard
Breedlove Pursuit Concerto CE
Takamine F400S 12-string
Yamaha FG800
Citation CIT8000 "The Survivor"
Electrics:
Fender Standard Stratocaster (2004)
Old 03-27-2014, 05:44 PM

That's a beauty!

Congratulations!

Greg Rappleye

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
000-16gt, impressions, martin, review