The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-19-2018, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

Default Power Pins on Taylor 714ce LTD, first impressions

We've certainly had some interesting threads recently about bridge pins that I have enjoyed reading.

I bought two (2) sets of Power Pins a couple of years ago that I first tried on a Taylor 522e 12 fret that I later sold (with the Power Pins installed). My impression at the time was that I liked them for aesthetics and convenience and believed I heard an improvement in tone. The buyer of that guitar let me know he was happy with them on and saw no reason to take them off.

Over the weekend, I needed to do a string change on my 2017 714ce LTD 12 fret which has a cedar top and koa b/s. I also have a K-22ce 12 fret. I really like both guitars. They are similar tonally but the 714 has a bit more low end and slightly better projection. But compared to my Collings, Froggy Bottom, and Santa Cruz, there is a small degree of resonance and projection they both lack in comparison. So I thought trying the Power Pins on the 714 would be a fun science project.

Install went fine except I forgot that the Power Pins are provided in three pairs that are labeled for the specific string so had to swap that around. It will take you about 45 minutes to install them.

As I stated earlier, I like the aesthetics and I think that how the Power Pins are attached to the bridge is a positive for long term bridge integrity. As a mechanical engineer by education, I think not bending the ball end of the string 90 degrees will result in better performance and reliability.

Subjective/objective results (including playing the guitar back and forth with its more expensive siblings) is spot on intonation, no hint of thumpy/dead fretted strings up the neck, and what I perceive as an improvement in sustain and projection (possibly better resonance). You feel the guitar more resonating through your upper body (playing seated). This seems consistent with the reviews I've seen or read so count me as a satisfied customer. Maybe all Taylor had to do was try Power Pins and not got through the V-bracing program . Just kidding!

I believe the only thing that has the potential to be controversial about Power Pins is the aesthetics. I can see no negative in terms of tone and certainly they are very cool for string changes.

And of course, YMMV...…………….

Happy Thanksgiving folks.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 11-19-2018, 07:50 AM

Interesting.
I never realized they were anything more than aesthetics. I thought the look was ok but not something that would make me want to make the leap.
I just did a little follow up and like what I read.
Now you got me thinking.
Anyone else have an opinion?
Old 11-19-2018, 11:04 AM

Well, I have an opinion, but it’s not based on personal experience so it doesn’t need to be shared. I will say that Power Pins look like windshield wipers to me...

whm
Old 11-19-2018, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Well, I have an opinion, but it’s not based on personal experience so it doesn’t need to be shared. I will say that Power Pins look like windshield wipers to me...

whm
YMMV in action!
Old 11-19-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
This seems consistent with the reviews I've seen or read so count me as a satisfied customer.
Unhappy with the subjective nature of these reviews, I set-out to do a more objective test. On a single guitar, I tested three sets of "pins": ebony, brass and Powerpins. The power pins are significantly heavier than brass, which is heavier than ebony.

I attempted to consistently, repeatedly pluck each string while recording it and analyzing the sound using Audacity software. Specifically, I looked at how long notes sustained (i.e. the decay), how quickly the sound formed (i.e. onset transient), the volume of the sound (amplitude), the influence of pin type on frequency response and the waveform.

To cut to the chase, on the one test guitar, I found no increase in sustain or volume, as many subjectively have reported. I did find that the pins did change the wave form, but have not correlated that to any observable change in sound. I also found that, in a first round of testing, the heavier the pin, the more the attenuation of higher frequencies. Upon a second round of testing, that attenuation was not evident, the reasons for which are unclear. Additional testing would be required to determine the cause for the differences in test results between first and second rounds.

My conclusions were as follows:

1. I did not observe any identifiable change in sound as a result of using PowerPins. If I were to use them it would be for aesthetic reasons or for ease of string attachment at the bridge. (I didn't find them any quicker or easier to use than conventional bridge pins.)

2. Powerpins reduce the break angle of the string over the saddle. For a guitar that has ample break angle prior to installing Powerpins, it is not an issue. For a guitar with marginal or sub-optimal break angle, Powerpins will not work, reducing the break angle to an unacceptable level - i.e. causing buzzing and loss of tone.

3. Since the Powerpins are, effectively, six bolts that go through the bridge, top and bridge plate, they could be used by luthiers to temporarily attach a bridge - and strings - to an unfinished guitar to allow them to hear/fine-tune the instrument. Also, it could be a means of bolting-down a lifting bridge, depending upon the specific circumstances of that instrument. (The idea of simply using a non-glued, bolted-on bridge is a potentially interesting one.)

Again, this is based upon testing on a single guitar and the results of this test cannot be extrapolated to all guitars. A much larger sampling of guitars would need to be tested prior to reaching any wider conclusion. However, it is in contrast to the numerous subjective experiences that others report.

Last edited by charles Tauber; 11-19-2018 at 11:26 AM.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

The first time I tried Power Pins, I weighed the pins, plate, and fasteners compared to ebony pins and while certainly heavier, the difference was just a couple of ounces as I recall so it was not a concern for me.

I agree a low saddle could be an issue using them but based on my experience, I don’t think the shallower break angle is detrimental and I do believe the string will last longer, all else equal.

My results are purely subjective in that I feel tonally, my 714 has closed the gap on what I felt it lacked compared to my higher end guitars.
Old 11-19-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
The first time I tried Power Pins, I weighed the pins, plate, and fasteners compared to ebony pins and while certainly heavier, the difference was just a couple of ounces as I recall so it was not a concern for me.
It might well be that those extra ounces are what produced this:

Quote:
I feel tonally, my 714 has closed the gap on what I felt it lacked compared to my higher end guitars.
Installed on another guitar, the PowerPins might well have the opposite result.

The added weight was one of the reasons that I tested the intermediary-weight brass pins. My first round of testing showed significant attenuation of higher frequencies. The second round did not. I can conjecture what caused the difference, but I don't have objective evidence to support it.

I'm not against PowerPins in any way. If throwing $50 at it to install PowerPins produces a desirable result, that seems like a good investment. As long as people are aware it isn't a guaranteed result.

It is important, however, that people be aware that a low break angle will be lower with PowerPins installed. As I stated, that isn't an issue for most guitars, but it can be for guitars with marginal break angles to start with.

Last edited by charles Tauber; 11-19-2018 at 03:57 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post

I attempted to consistently, repeatedly pluck each string while recording it and analyzing the sound using Audacity software. Specifically, I looked at how long notes sustained (i.e. the decay), how quickly the sound formed (i.e. onset transient), the volume of the sound (amplitude), the influence of pin type on frequency response and the waveform.

To cut to the chase, on the one test guitar, I found no increase in sustain or volume, as many subjectively have reported. I did find that the pins did change the wave form, but have not correlated that to any observable change in sound. I also found that, in a first round of testing, the heavier the pin, the more the attenuation of higher frequencies. Upon a second round of testing, that attenuation was not evident, the reasons for which are unclear. Additional testing would be required to determine the cause for the differences in test results between first and second rounds.
In the Acoustic Guitar magazine review, the author did record the test guitar before and after and played the recordings on an analyzer and states he measured an increase in volume and sustain. I believe that is what my ears are hearing with my 714. Here's the link:

http://acousticguitar.com/bigrock-power-pins/

The comments to that review are also interesting. A couple of the negative reviews appear to be not based on someone who has actually tried the product and one had a user who stated that the decreased break angle resulted in a loss of volume. The owner of Power Pins responded to that with a question if he had used the "Power Plate" which is kind of a cheesy term for the backing plate used to secure the pins on the bottom of the soundboard. The first versions did not have this according to the owner and he believed it would solve the issue and he offered to send that individual that plate.

For me, the worst case scenario is that the Power Pins do nothing tonally but I'm happy with the aesthetics, my saddle height is fine for the string break angle, and I enjoy the benefit of the increased ease of changing the strings. I'm probably going to install them next on my K-22.

Last edited by SprintBob; 11-19-2018 at 04:30 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:18 PM

I've noted the bridge pin discussions as well, with much interest. I have no firm conviction, but have some thoughts I haven't read yet and I'm contemplating starting a new thread. Here I'll just add that changing the pins doesn't happen in a vacuum. An definitive, objective verdict about pins "all things being equal" is a noble pursuit, but difficult enough to be impractical, because all things are not equal. There are too many factors at play to control them all, and subjective biases will always enter the picture.

That's why this is an interesting topic. We intuitively know that there are possible or likely differences, but we struggle with how to talk about it, or why it matters. The ability to talk about nuanced topics without bulldozing people is important. Especially, if I may say so, in today's cultural climate. Bridge pins, in the grand scheme, are not that important, but important enough for some of us to get worked up about!

Thanks for posting.

Taylor 512ce 12-fret (cedar/mahogany grand concert)
Seagull Artist Studio (spruce/rosewood dreadnought)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion