The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-16-2018, 08:15 PM
Charter Member

Default Artificial nails for fingerpicking?

Hey guys, so a few months back I started having some more free time, and decided to really put some effort into becoming better at fingerstyle stuff, after lots of years of focusing on other stuff. I always got by playing with my natural nails grown out a little, and rarely broke one, but when it happened it would be really hard to play for a few weeks. Well, now I’m doing lessons with an amazing guitarist who swears by “gel powder” artificial nails, and last time I broke a nail, he sent me to his nail tech to get a full set. It’s basically a gel mixed with a powder that is painted on top of your real nails that hardens and strengthens everything a lot. Instead of removing them, they just get touched up after 2-4 weeks to cover the part that has grown out. Does anyone have experience with this process, or a similar one? I’m trying to research this and keep finding references to fake nails being harmful to the health of your actual nails. I did have one (artificial, not actual) nail come off, and it left the nail underneath pretty thin, but that may have just been because of the force required to tear it off. I’m wondering if it’s safe to keep getting them done long term.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:22 PM

Acrylic nails
I have been doing one hand for years
Old 11-16-2018, 08:32 PM
Charter Member

I have had very little experience with artificial nails. Have used them on extremely rare occasions, when I broken nail due from work related incidents(not guitar playing) . And then it was but a single nail.
However, I can relate what one friend of mine told me....he said that artificial nails left his fingernails in bad condition underneath.
I also found, that the artificial nail did not sound as good as my natural fingernail.
However, I would have to believe that there are products that would help the nail even with artificial over. It should be a matter of finding the right combination. There are also Nail builders(which I have yet to try) that have been talked about on AGF.
I use Sally Hansen's Triple hard. A green Fluid. I would not say that it makes the finger nail that much harder. It is but a thin coat over your natural nail. But it absolutely helps for back-strumming on the nails. And does make the tip a bit firmer for plucking. A little bit of a hassle to put on and take off. And now I walk around with three shinny nails.. haha..could buff them down..but that takes more work and I can get a bit lazy at times.
I too would like to investigate some of the strength growing products as well.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by news_watch View Post
Acrylic nails
Thanks. Do you give your nails breaks in between applications?
Old 11-16-2018, 09:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
I have had very little experience with artificial nails. Have used them on extremely rare occasions, when I broken nail due from work related incidents(not guitar playing) . And then it was but a single nail.
However, I can relate what one friend of mine told me....he said that artificial nails left his fingernails in bad condition underneath.
I also found, that the artificial nail did not sound as good as my natural fingernail.
However, I would have to believe that there are products that would help the nail even with artificial over. It should be a matter of finding the right combination. There are also Nail builders(which I have yet to try) that have been talked about on AGF.
I use Sally Hansen's Triple hard. A green Fluid. I would not say that it makes the finger nail that much harder. It is but a thin coat over your natural nail. But it absolutely helps for back-strumming on the nails. And does make the tip a bit firmer for plucking. A little bit of a hassle to put on and take off. And now I walk around with three shinny nails.. haha..could buff them down..but that takes more work and I can get a bit lazy at times.
I too would like to investigate some of the strength growing products as well.
Yeah, I definitely hear some people say they can cause issues, but then others, like my teacher, say they’re fine. Tone is actually pretty good with these, as it really your natural nails that are touching the strings.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:53 PM

Fingerpicks for practical reasons only though.
Old 11-17-2018, 01:36 AM
Charter Member

I had gel with fibreglass wraps, done professionaly, and back-filled/touched-up every four weeks, for around eight years, they were great.

But, about three years ago, I found that my nails were becoming very painful, to the point where playing was becoming a very unpleasant experience.

My nail tech removed them and checked my natural nails out. They had thinned and softened alarmingly, and the nail-bed had become very painful when the nail was pressed, pulled, or otherwise disturbed. She advised me to stop having the gel/wraps, and give my own nails at least a year to recover.

So I started using Propik 'Fingertone' picks, and I've never had any desire to go back to nail-reinforcements.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 11-17-2018, 06:13 AM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oyvrMR...ature=youtu.be
Thought of giving this a try, any thoughts?
Rob(uk)
Old 11-17-2018, 07:25 AM

I think putting chemicals, liquid or acrylic/gel is not a good idea. Your nails are porous and whatever you put on them will go into you body. Then there is the nail thinning problem. So its a gamble whether it will hurt you long term. There is an easy, safe solution to the problem, its called Rico nails. I dont use his products anymore as Im getting products from the drug store and craft shop. But the idea is you have thin plastic nails that you push on when you want to play and pull off when you are done. If you get the correct nails they sound natural. If you get thick ones, like the Rico's, you get a thicker sound, like acrylics sound. I dont like this sound, prefer natural sound, but different people like different sounds.
Old 11-17-2018, 07:38 AM

Here’s a video by James Taylor, a consummate finger picker, on how he prepares and cares for his nails.

https://youtu.be/7BqISqpMRo8
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Fender Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Old 11-17-2018, 08:43 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I have the liquid acrylics applied professionally and have been doing it for twenty years with no problems. More at my site, HERE.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 11-17-2018, 09:03 AM

"You start off playing guitar to get girls and end up talking with middle-aged men about your fingernails" - Ed Gerhard
Old 11-17-2018, 11:34 AM

I've been doing the JT-style fiberglass nail wraps for a couple of months, but they only stay on for a week or so, and I'm worried they're making my nails thinner because the superglue may be taking a little of the nail off each time. I'm giving them a bit of a rest at the moment, but I want to go back to the wraps soon because I love the feel and tone.

I was thinking that maybe this stuff would help them stay on longer and protect my nails from having any come off with the artificial nail. Has anyone else tried it? What was you experience?
Old 11-17-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by news_watch View Post
Acrylic nails
So have I, no problems at all. Powder and some kind of glue brushed on in a nail salon, infills about once a month, works great.
Old 11-17-2018, 02:07 PM

yes you can take a chance on the chemicals but it is unnecessary for most people unless you do Rasgueado. Besides, the one time I tried it I didnt like the sound of them. Even as short a time as I had them my nail was soft underneath. Different people like different sounds of course.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion