The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-14-2018, 09:40 AM

Default Northern Exposure

Anybody happen to know why the awesomely fantastic TV show Northern Exposure is not available on Netflix or Amazon Prime or any other streaming service? I can’t seem to find it out there anyway. Man that was a great show with so many great actors and story lines and “life lessons.” I think my favorite character on the show was kooky Adam, played by Adam Arkin, no wait, I think it was Chris Stevens played by John Corbett, no wait, I think it was Maurice played by Barry Corbin, no wait I think it was Holling played by John Collum, no wait, I think it was Ed Chigliak played by Darren Burrows....you get my point. Remember the final episode? “Our Town” with Iris DeMent singing the song by the same title. Northern Exposure puts to shame so much crap that passes for entertainment on cable and network TV these days.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:47 AM

Music rights.

The producers said at the outset that their musical choices—heck, Chris in the Morning would speak explicitly about the songs he was about to play—are too intricately woven into the DNA of the show, and they would never settle for Muzak replacements. That means that the rights would be just too expensive.

I'm glad I have the first two seasons from the initial DVD release. Amazing show.

For what it's worth, it's the exact same story with Ed, another great show from a slightly more recent vintage.

You'd think with the opportunity of bringing in a new audience for one of the best American shows ever, the rights holders would find a way to cut a deal. But it's just not on anyone's radar anymore.
• AGF-only discounts
Free Shipping + Free Returns
Shoreline Rewards
Videos
• Guitars from Taylor | Mcilroy | Larrivee
• Stage gear from K&K | Fire-Eye

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/07...s/namm_x_6.jpg
Old 11-14-2018, 09:51 AM
Guest 33123

Two words: Janine Turner.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:52 AM

I do not have a clue why it is not available. My wife and I were talking about Northern Exposure a couple of months ago and wondering the same thing. We loved it when it first ran and would certainly watch it again.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 11-14-2018, 10:31 AM

It was popular on this side of the pond too. Great show.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:20 AM

It's on DVD.

Yeah, they still make DVDs, and DVD players. For old fossil dinosaur luddites like me, I guess, since according to the internet "nobody buys DVDs".

Yours truly,

"Nobody"
Old 11-14-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoreline Music View Post
Music rights.

The producers said at the outset that their musical choices—heck, Chris in the Morning would speak explicitly about the songs he was about to play—are too intricately woven into the DNA of the show, and they would never settle for Muzak replacements. That means that the rights would be just too expensive.

I'm glad I have the first two seasons from the initial DVD release. Amazing show.

For what it's worth, it's the exact same story with Ed, another great show from a slightly more recent vintage.

You'd think with the opportunity of bringing in a new audience for one of the best American shows ever, the rights holders would find a way to cut a deal. But it's just not on anyone's radar anymore.
Interesting, had no idea the music soundtrack in the show had anything to do with the show not being available for streaming. What a shame. As you said, you would think some way would be found to resolve this in order to bring this great show to a new audience. Bummer. Maybe some day.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:27 AM

I was enjoying that show before I moved to Alaska in the middle of its run, and kept watching. Then it took on another dimension, as I learned the geography of the state - and met some of the characters depicted.

My favorite single memory is one episode where a blind itinerant piano tuner demands that bush pilot Maggie (Janine Turner) fly "....over to Sleetmute to get me some replacement piano hammers....." when working on the bar's upright piano. Folks, there just ain't much in Sleetmute - probably not even an old piano in the church. It is a small bush village well off any road system, with a dirt landing strip and a population of less than 100 people.

This reminds me that we should probably pick up the DVD set for our library.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
I was enjoying that show before I moved to Alaska in the middle of its run, and kept watching. Then it took on another dimension, as I learned the geography of the state - and met some of the characters depicted.

My favorite single memory is one episode where a blind itinerant piano tuner demands that bush pilot Maggie (Janine Turner) fly "....over to Sleetmute to get me some replacement piano hammers....." when working on the bar's upright piano. Folks, there just ain't much in Sleetmute - probably not even an old piano in the church. It is a small bush village well off any road system, with a dirt landing strip and a population of less than 100 people.

This reminds me that we should probably pick up the DVD set for our library.
I think you can get the entire DVD set on Amazon if you’ve a mind to. That’ll be $140.00. Thank you very much.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
Ho Yus! She was/is? a beauty, and my wife lusted after John Corbett so it was essential viewing here.

I enjoyed the series as every character seemed to be an eccentric.
Maybe that's just Alaska ? Wade? Got any input in that?
Old 11-14-2018, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
She's definitely a full-blown wingnut, but not sure what that has to do with syndication of the show. Surely the producers own the syndication rights?
Old 11-14-2018, 03:47 PM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
She's definitely a full-blown wingnut, but not sure what that has to do with syndication of the show. Surely the producers own the syndication rights?
Well she is but that's not what I meant. I meant I watched the show back in the day because she was cute. I was 18 when it started so those things were important to me back then. Plus it was a good show.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

We bought the set at a holiday sale years ago on DVD at one of the local Barnes and Noble. The packaging is like a winter coat. I really enjoy the series and we watch it through probably once a year. I never saw the original because it was a really busy time in my life when it was on TV and I have never really been much for TV because I can't stand all the advertising.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 11-14-2018, 04:44 PM

Just a side note here. Some may not know that Barry Corbin, aka “Maurice” from Northern Exposure, plays a very funny and entertaining character named Dale on Netflix’s “The Ranch,” which is a pretty good show on it’s own merit btw. Corbin’s character Dale plays the part of the local vet and he’s a hoot. Corbin has gotten old, fat, and bald (hey, who hasn’t?) but his acting skills haven’t diminished one bit. You can still see flashes of ol’ Maurice in his character Dale too. If you haven’t checked out “The Ranch” starring Sam Elliot in the lead role, I highly recommend it.
Old 11-14-2018, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well she is but that's not what I meant. I meant I watched the show back in the day because she was cute. I was 18 when it started so those things were important to me back then. Plus it was a good show.
I'm right with ya, I was 23 and she was/is (presumably still) gorgeous. It was a good show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadcutter View Post
Just a side note here. Some may not know that Barry Corbin, aka “Maurice” from Northern Exposure, plays a very funny and entertaining character named Dale on Netflix’s “The Ranch,” which is a pretty good show on it’s own merit btw. Corbin’s character Dale plays the part of the local vet and he’s a hoot. Corbin has gotten old, fat, and bald (hey, who hasn’t?) but his acting skills haven’t diminished one bit. You can still see flashes of ol’ Maurice in his character Dale too. If you haven’t checked out “The Ranch” starring Sam Elliot in the lead role, I highly recommend it.
That guy slayed as the Air Force General in "War Games". Great lines.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic