The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-12-2018, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

Default Home made guitar straps

There have been threads about guitar straps before.

I decided to update my previous video about my straps, and how I make 'em and fit 'em.

Always glad to answer questions of course.

Old 11-12-2018, 10:44 AM

What a lot of fun, thanks Andy. I do not want any metal close to my guitar if I can help it, music stands excepted. So no strap locks for me and I dont like the strap pin on the heel. I think its better on the side of the heel. Not arguing or saying im right, just giving my response. Thanks again
Old 11-12-2018, 11:30 AM

Good stuff, I never use a strap with acoustic guitar but now I feel like making myself one.

YouTube
Old 11-12-2018, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
What a lot of fun, thanks Andy. I do not want any metal close to my guitar if I can help it, music stands excepted. So no strap locks for me and I don't like the strap pin on the heel. I think its better on the side of the heel. Not arguing or saying im right, just giving my response. Thanks again
Yup, there is a general advisory from many guitar makers NOT to put thestrap pin in the end of the heel, but as said it has never proved an issue for m, and it helps the strap run smoothly and NEVER gets in my way of my fretting hand.

It IS a matter of choice of course.

As far as Schaller Strap locks - they NEVER touch the guitar as I put a thick leather washer between the male part and the heel plate and the strap side of the assembly doesn't touch the guitar and you will see that I'm not into buckles or conchoes etc.

Talking about potential damage to acoustics, IO have another rule - Completely unrelated - I have a rule for performance- the guitar(s) are always the last item on stage after all the other stuff has gone on - mic stands, cables, mixers, music stands etc., and they are the first things to be put away before metal things start flailing around.

Regards,
Old 11-13-2018, 04:59 AM

Hi Andy,

That was really useful. Are you able to say who your leather supplier is? I'm based in the UK and interested in giving this a try.

Best,

JACF
Old 11-19-2018, 06:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacf View Post
Hi Andy,

That was really useful. Are you able to say who your leather supplier is? I'm based in the UK and interested in giving this a try.

Best,

JACF
Hi jacf, PM sent to you.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:24 AM

Thanks for that.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

After seeing Brookwood straps being crafted on Youtube I have no desire to roll my own. Saving my pennies to someday order 1 or 2 for myself.
Old 11-19-2018, 11:16 AM

Silly Mostache, you convinced me to work on my Levi’s Leather straps. A few coats of Neatsfoot oil and they went from “stiff” to supple. What a difference with so little effort.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 11-19-2018, 12:05 PM

I made a fine strap for my electric bass from a cinch, for which I made some leather straps to connect the ends to the instrument. I bit of browsing in a tack shop should find you some good examples of useful cinches.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:11 PM

I'd often thought about making my own straps. But unless I don't have the proper leather source it seems that the cost of the leather itself is almost as much as finished straps you'd buy from Walker and Williams and far less than basic leather straps from Perris leathers. Any inexpensive US leather sources?
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion