The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace

Old 09-10-2018, 08:21 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Edwinson Zephyr 00- The Zephyr Rojo for sale

Here is a very nice guitar I named the "Zephyr Rojo", up for adoption to a good home. This is my Double-0 Zephyr model, a medium/small guitar (14 1/4" wide in the lower bout), very comfortable to hold and play, but a great performer with a lot of volume and tone- definitely punching above its weight.

I built this guitar in 2015, and had it on display at the Memphis Acoustic Guitar Festival. Since then, I've kept it in my collection as a demo guitar. The Rojo has spent most of its life out of sight, in a case; but last year when I moved to Fairhope and started up in the new shop with Joel, I brought the Rojo out front. I was quite happily surprised, listening to other people play this guitar, how dramatically the sound quality had opened up and blossomed since it was brand new. It sounded great from the start, but now it is a full-fledged player.

I would define the sound as "modern vintage"- it has a strong 00 vibe, but a lot of volume, especially for a small, Cedar-topped guitar. It is also exceptionally well balanced across the tonal spectrum. When I play aggressively with fingerpicks, I can even bring out a very distinctive Dobro-esque character. This guitar goes from hummingbird kiss to junkyard dog without breaking stride. Umm, that would be a small-ish junkyard dog, but with a pretty intimidating growl.
What I mean to say is, if you want to play some dirty blues, the Rojo delivers. If you're playing some dreamy Hawaiian slack-key, the Rojo can swing a grass skirt with the best of 'em. It's got a versatile tonal palette...

Add to that, strong fundamentals with pleasing overtones, and nice clean sustain. I have the Rojo set up with a low/medium action, perfect for fingerstyle and light pick-style.
This is a Multiscale guitar, with a scale spread of 25"- 25.5". So it's ideal for standard tuning, D-based tunings, and, with medium gauge strings, it even performs well tuned down to C. Several of the people who have played this guitar did not even notice that it's a multiscale until I pointed it out. It is very ergonomic and easy to play. All in all, the Zephyr 00 Rojo is a really fun ride.

I am selling this guitar as slightly used, mint condition, and with my full warranty. Asking $4550, or best offer. Guardian hardshell Vintage style CG-044-00 case included. It specs out to $6575 (at my 2011 price structure), so this is a really good deal for the right player.

Here are some photos I just shot today. More info and specs to follow.

[IMG]

Okay, brace yourself, because you're about to see some of the most amazingly figured Padouk ever!

Here are the pertinent specs on the Zephyr 00 Rojo:
Back and sides, rear headstock plate: Mastergrade figured African Padouk (aka Padauk)
Sound board: silky Western Red Cedar from British Columbia, CA
Front headstock plate, fingerboard and bridge: Pau Ferro, aka Bolivian Rosewood
Neck: American Black Walnut, with Padouk center lam and Maple veneer lines
Bindings and bevel trim: Ziricote, with high-flame Pyinma purflings throughout.

Width, Lower Bout: 14 1/4” ; Body depth, LB: 4 1/8”

Width, Waist: 8 5/8” ; Body depth, W: 4 1/4”

Width, Upper Bout: 10 11/16”; Body depth, UB: 4”

Sound box length: 19 3/8”

Total length: 40 1/4”

Width @ nut: 1 25/32" String spread @ saddle: 2 9/32" Polished cow bone nut and saddle; Ziricote bridge pins.
Truss rod: LMI TRSD two-way adjustable, access through sound hole.
Neck carve: medium/slim C carve
Ryan-style arm bevel, trimmed in Ziricote.

"Tri-port" sound ports on the lower bout hip
Delta MS Style headstock with Gotoh 510 mini tuners, 18:1 ratio, Cosmo Black finish.
"Crown of Thorns" rosette, Ebony, Padouk, Pyinma, dyed Maple veneer lines- 93 separate pieces!

Of course, as with all non-local sales, you don't have to take a big risk. If you are willing to pay shipping charges, you get a three to five day approval period with the guitar, so you can give it a thorough test drive and decide if it's a great fit. If you decide to decline, your payment will be refunded in full immediately when the guitar is returned in the same conditions as before.
Your personal check is fine, with sufficient ID, or a certified check, or bank wire transfer. Or if you prefer to pay with a credit card, I can send you a PayPal invoice. This will incur an additional 1.5% service charge. (Actually, it's 3%, but I will split it with you.)

Any questions, you can contact me via private messaging here at the Forum, or email me at [email protected]. If you'd like to chat on the phone, please send me a text first at (206) 271 8743. I screen my calls, so tell me your name and mention "Rojo", and I will call you ASAP.

Thank you very much for looking, and I hope you find a true love-match with this hot little Zephyr Rojo!

Again, I'm asking $4550 USD (or best offer) with hardshell case and my full warranty, which is a $2025 discount from list price.
Thanks for looking!
Old 09-11-2018, 07:15 AM
AGF Sponsor

If I might chime in here...since I’ve logged many joyful hours playing this sweet little guitar. When Steve first began working in the shop, last year, he decided to keep this guitar here...right beside my two beloved Taylors. It didn’t take long before I found myself playing it exclusively. It is so darn easy to play!!! The size is quite comfortable, yet it has a big, sweet, smooth voice that belies its smaller footprint.
The arm bevel even adds more amazing comfort to its “already-comfortable” size, and the addition of the “tri-port” soundport is a user-friendly bonus. To top it all off...the multi-scale layout leaves the player feeling as if the entire experience is absolutely effortless. Truly... the opportunity to play this guitar for an extended period took my playing from “meh”...to “I never thought that I could do that” on a guitar.
Everything that Steve said about the tone is spot-on...and, even though the pictures are great, they still can’t capture the truly-amazing color and depth of this Padouk. If you’re interested in a 00-size guitar, do yourself a favor and grab this one quickly. I guarantee that, even if someone grabs it up based on the safety-net of the trial period that Steve is offering, this guitar will not be sent back.

Joel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 09-11-2018, 09:50 PM
Charter Member

That back is spectacular! Looks like a real beauty!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 09-29-2018, 07:27 AM

The multiscale is so subtle that I can't really see it in the photos! What a gorgeous guitar - I would dearly love to play this one!
Old 09-29-2018, 08:39 AM
AGF Sponsor

Hi, Stan,
I'd love for you to play the Z Rojo too. It has some unique character in the tone that really draws you in and invites you to explore new interpretations of your repertoire. And yes, the scale spread is only a half inch, so pretty subtle; but it really does work. In standard tuning, it sounds very focused in the bass and midrange, and the trebles sound sweet and crystalline. Tuned down to D, the bass gets fatter, and comes across more like an OM-size guitar.
We have a friend named David Moore, who is a professional piano tuner, who came over to the shop a couple times, and he fell in love with this guitar. He made the comment that the Zephyr Rojo is "absolutely world-class" and said the intonation is "spot-on". I would guess that a guy who tunes concert pianos knows a thing or two about intonation!
Old 10-04-2018, 09:26 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default PRICE DROP!

I am taking a slice off the price of the Zephyr Rojo. Now asking $4250. That's $2325 off the spec price for this guitar.
I have kept to the same pricing structure on my custom builds since 2011. But costs keep going up, and I will have to raise my prices before year's end. This is a great chance to get a great guitar at such a steep discount.
Thanks for looking!
Old 10-19-2018, 09:13 AM
AGF Sponsor

Friday bump for the Z-Rojo, looking for a good home in a musical family. There are lots of songs and tunes in this guitar, waiting for YOU to bring them out! Thanks for looking!
Old 10-19-2018, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

Love the looks of this padouk! Would love to try this out...

Any chance you'll be bringing this to B.I.G. 2019 if someone hasn't snagged it by then?
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 10-19-2018, 11:13 AM
Musical minimalist

Not much surprises me anymore, but the fact this hasn't been swept up yet certainly does!

Old 11-10-2018, 07:36 AM

if there weren't all these complicating things like customfee, importtax, citect., I'd have bought it at once.
But perhaps we'll find another way to come together.

all the best with your sale

guitarchie
Old 11-10-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarchie View Post
if there weren't all these complicating things like customfee, importtax, citect., I'd have bought it at once.
But perhaps we'll find another way to come together.

all the best with your sale

guitarchie
You could always come over next March and join Steve at B.I.G. 2019 and bring this guitar home with you or one of his others he is bringing. The one he has told me about that he is building for the event should be amazing.
Old 11-10-2018, 05:14 PM

Man, really tempting. The fan fret will definitely be put to good use since I frequently play DADF#AD.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

As a new owner of an Edwinson, at a much higher price, I can’t begin to describe the value of this guitar. When Steve says “balanced”, he means it. Mine is the most balanced across the strings of any guitar I own. It totally allows your playing dynamics to do what you want it to. If I need to do more prominent walking bass lines, I can make that happen. Need more pronounced high notes, they are available. Ask, and it delivers. Yes, I’d recommend Edwinson, and this guitar is a steal.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 12-02-2018, 02:39 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chedeng88 View Post
Man, really tempting. The fan fret will definitely be put to good use since I frequently play DADF#AD.
You are right, Chedeng88, the 25"- 25.5" scale spread is excellent for playing in DADF#AD, DADGAD, and other D-based tunings, as it gives you those sweet trebles at the shorter scale, and a robust midrange and bass end, with sufficient string tension to tune down. I have kept this guitar tuned mostly to DADGAD and DADF#AD, two of my favorite tunings.
I have also previously strung the Z Rojo with medium bottom/light top strings, so I could tune down to C, and it still performs great.
I originally designed this guitar to be very versatile, primarily fingerstyle-optimized, for either standard or open tunings.
I've had several serious inquiries on this guitar, so feel free to make an offer... I don't think it'll be available much longer... Thanks!
-Steve
Old 12-03-2018, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
That back is spectacular! Looks like a real beauty!
Plus one! Surprised no one has grabbed this beauty.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace