The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-19-2018, 07:35 AM

Default Native American Flutes

Hi there all, happy holidays!

Does anyone have any knowledge around Native American flutes? I would love to buy one, in the key of C, as this directly connects to the heart chakra. I would like an authentic one.

Thanks for your help!

Happy Playing!

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 11-19-2018, 08:35 AM

I've got a native American flute. It's gorgeous. I think it is cedar with a rosewood mouthpiece, block, and a genuine soft leather wrapping to hold it. Beautiful finish, too.

I ordered it custom and it seemed fairly expensive at the time.

It sits in a storage pouch in the bookcase and I almost never play it, even though I got a book on native American flute, and have some recordings.

The tonal palette is just too limited to hold my interest. I did learn different breathing techniques for vibrato. I just don't pick the thing up anymore.

I have a bamboo flute that is not chromatic, and that is almost as interesting. Nice to pick up once in a decade, but that's about it.

I think the Chakras are better opened through meditation, understanding, awareness.

Obviously, just my opinion.

At the time I was quite excited about the whole ordering and learning process with the flute, just didn't hold my interest. There's really not a whole lot you can do with it.

On the other hand, the guitar gets a lot of regular use. It is a far more versatile instrument.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

Though I don't have, nor play, Native American flute, I can understand why Kindness (Lisa) is interested:

This guy has albums of this music, and I enjoy listening to it. Whether I would personally be motivated to put in the time to master it as this many does, I doubt, but I do enjoy and relate to the music itself.

Using google, I see several places to purchase real Native American flutes, but I have no idea which to choose. Hopefully, somebody here will be able to provide informed input.

Here is a site that I quickly found for purchasing a real Native American flute:

https://www.bluebearflutes.com/#!

...and another:

https://highspirits.com/

Here is some info on how to buy one:

http://www.cedarmesa.com/blogfiles/howtobuyanaf.html

https://www.southerncrossflutes.com/...merican-flute/

https://www.crazycrow.com/native-american-flutes

There are plenty more, but I hope these help...

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 11-19-2018, 10:38 AM

We have about twenty of them in a variety of keys and woods. We used to be really into them. Since there is no flute circle near us these days, they mostly stay on the oak wall rack I built, to be admired occasionally by visitors.

I can't speak to the key of C and any effect on chakras, but I have a friend who adamantly insists that the entire universe vibrates in the key of Bb.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:07 PM

My older daughter played flute and piccolo when she was younger, and for her birthday last year I gave her a flute from High Spirits...I asked around on some forums and High Spirits came highly recommended and often in my search...

Really great quality, plays beautifully and she loves it...
Old 11-19-2018, 01:15 PM

I have 6 NAF's, all of which are High Spirits. They make wonderful flutes that are intonated very well. They are beautiful in craftsmanship and tone. They always run some great sales during the holiday season. They have a decent selection of woods and appointments.

I see you're from Phoenix. High Spirits is in Patagonia, AZ. It would he cool to visit them!
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Last edited by ifret; 03-20-2024 at 06:33 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:20 PM

These are very cool flutes. Pricey but very very cool looking

https://www.dryadflutes.com/
Old 11-19-2018, 04:54 PM

I have 2 , both in C .
One was made by a local from cedar that I had harvested . The other was purchased by me at the Grand Canyon .
Both are rather simple and the local made one is copied from the Grand Canyon flute .
Since the OP lists herself as being in Phoenix , I can't help but wonder why she has come here asking what she is asking .
Old 11-19-2018, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindness View Post
Hi there all, happy holidays!

Does anyone have any knowledge around Native American flutes? I would love to buy one, in the key of C, as this directly connects to the heart chakra. I would like an authentic one.

Thanks for your help!

Happy Playing!
I would have thought that, given where you live, there'd be plenty of resources for Native American flutes.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Blake View Post
I've got a native American flute. It's gorgeous. I think it is cedar with a rosewood mouthpiece, block, and a genuine soft leather wrapping to hold it. Beautiful finish, too.

I ordered it custom and it seemed fairly expensive at the time.

It sits in a storage pouch in the bookcase and I almost never play it, even though I got a book on native American flute, and have some recordings.

The tonal palette is just too limited to hold my interest. I did learn different breathing techniques for vibrato. I just don't pick the thing up anymore.

I have a bamboo flute that is not chromatic, and that is almost as interesting. Nice to pick up once in a decade, but that's about it.

I think the Chakras are better opened through meditation, understanding, awareness.

Obviously, just my opinion.

At the time I was quite excited about the whole ordering and learning process with the flute, just didn't hold my interest. There's really not a whole lot you can do with it.

On the other hand, the guitar gets a lot of regular use. It is a far more versatile instrument.
Yes I meditate every day and drum as well! Some of the 528hz music is interesting because certain keys hit different chakras! It would be nice to have a couple of different flutes in different keys! Thanks for sharing about your flutes!

Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo

Last edited by Kindness; 11-20-2018 at 07:15 AM.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterhound View Post
I have 2 , both in C .
One was made by a local from cedar that I had harvested . The other was purchased by me at the Grand Canyon .
Both are rather simple and the local made one is copied from the Grand Canyon flute .
Since the OP lists herself as being in Phoenix , I can't help but wonder why she has come here asking what she is asking .
Yes there are resources in Arizona that I am exploring but the key is that some of these shops that have Native American things are geared more towards tourists. I am looking for something more authentic as I explore and wanted to see where people here have purchased their flutes!

Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 11-19-2018, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frets4fun View Post
I have 7 NAF's, all of which are High Spirits. They make wonderful flutes that are intonated very well. They are beautiful in craftsmanship and tone. They always run some great sales during the holiday season. They have a decent selection of woods and appointments.

I see you're from Phoenix. High Spirits is in Patagonia, AZ. It would he cool to visit them!
This is why I posted! Home run time for a road trip thank you!!! What people don't realize is that AZ is huge. Patagonia is 4 hours away!!!

Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo

Last edited by Kindness; 11-19-2018 at 08:11 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
Though I don't have, nor play, Native American flute, I can understand why Kindness (Lisa) is interested:

This guy has albums of this music, and I enjoy listening to it. Whether I would personally be motivated to put in the time to master it as this many does, I doubt, but I do enjoy and relate to the music itself.

Using google, I see several places to purchase real Native American flutes, but I have no idea which to choose. Hopefully, somebody here will be able to provide informed input.

Here is a site that I quickly found for purchasing a real Native American flute:

https://www.bluebearflutes.com/#!

...and another:

Here is some info on how to buy one:

http://www.cedarmesa.com/blogfiles/howtobuyanaf.html

https://www.southerncrossflutes.com/...merican-flute/

https://www.crazycrow.com/native-american-flutes

There are plenty more, but I hope these help...

Tony
Tony,

This is AWESOME thank you for posting!!!

Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 11-19-2018, 08:46 PM

I have 7 flutes as well. Six of which I play. Of those, my favorites are the four from High Spirit Flutes (HS). The first one I bought outside Vegas at a Native store. It is a mid-range "C" in Birch. There are many many others making wonderful NAF flutes and some can get pricey. If you are looking for one that is reasonable, that you can rely on, and is pitched correctly HS is a winner. Odel, the owner, always provides a CD to help you get started. Once you know the basics you can let your heart direct the music.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:08 PM

There my get be an expert or 2 who could be approached at the Museum of International Music in Scottsdale. I believe there are people at The Heard who have some knowledge on the subject and could possibly put you in contact with flute makers.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic