The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-19-2018, 07:12 AM

Default TC Electronics Flashback x4 vs Ditto x2 + Flashback 2?

Trying to choose between these options, right now I am thinking of buying a Flashback x4, just wondered if there's anything you guys can add to my thoughts below in the ways of pros/cons?

I want a looper with dual controls to separate record/playback and stop/clear, I will only be using a looper on a few numbers, guitar only, and even then no overdubs or complicated stuff, just simply recording a short part to solo over. I don't need to save loops for future use

I want a delay pedal with a range of delays and a few presets/patches to store settings, I also want to be able to record loops with a delay. The Flashback 2 looks perfect for my needs , so does the Ditto X2.

...But Flashback x4 *might* be a better option for me, as it combines both functions and would save money. The latter also has more delays, ability to save presets as well as Toneprints, and tap tempo. No MASH switch like the x2 though (not that this is important to me).

Seems to be a no brainer. Potential drawbacks of the X4 I see:
Size - its BIG! I think the other two pedals would actually occupy less space on a pedalboard.
-The Flashback x4 can record loops with delays, but cannot access delay presets in looper mode sadly, so I'd have to dial in a delay setting on the fly. I am assuming the looper can use the Toneprints though, and these seem to be 100% customisable from the ground up , so maybe its no big deal.

I'll be running out of a Bose T1 mixer.

"The way nature seems to work is that it sends a messenger...the acoustic guitar needed to go in another direction, Michael Hedges became that messenger"
Tommy Emmanuel
Old 11-19-2018, 07:54 AM

I can only comment on the X2. I like it for its simplicity. I sold my BOSS RC3, which had the added feature of storing loops. The simpler the live setup is, the better I concentrate on just playing and singing. The X2 is simple and has the benefit of a 2 button footswitch, so no double tapping to stop the loop.
Good luck on your quest.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

I am also seriously considering the Ditto x2.
Can anyone tell me the Ditto x2 battery life? It is not in the manual.
Is the 1-punch stop really a lot easier than the 2-punch on the regular
Ditto and the Boss VE-8, both of which I have.

I am very new to looping.

Thanks.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:55 AM

Meb, if you hook up a simple FS5 to the VE8, you will be able to use that to stop your loop. I think the quality of reproduced sound is a tad better with the X2. I have the VE8 as well and I think it is a very practical all in one solution for live work. I also love the fact that you don’t need to play with menus (except to do some advance settings).
Old 11-20-2018, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

The Ditto pedals have a terrible track record. I have an x2 and an x4 that are useless bricks now. Do a google search and you will see. When they work, they work exactly as designed, but they are not reliable.
I replaced those with the EH 720. It's cheaper and it works perfectly ( so far).
Old 11-20-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleplucker View Post
The Ditto pedals have a terrible track record. I have an x2 and an x4 that are useless bricks now. Do a google search and you will see. .
Wow, yes you are not kidding. Ditto problems scattered across several guitar forums and Youtube.

Maybe I will have to go for an alternative dual pedal looper, like your EH.

"The way nature seems to work is that it sends a messenger...the acoustic guitar needed to go in another direction, Michael Hedges became that messenger"
Tommy Emmanuel
Old 11-20-2018, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

Thanks dcopper, that is great news! That seems like a perfect solution.
I just got the VE-8 and am still on the learning curve. So the manual
says I need an FS-5U non-latching. I assume nonlatching is ok since
the only functions of the footswitch are:
- punch & let go to stop loop, and
-punch/hold to erase.

I assume the Loop button does all the other functions??

Correct?

Thanks again!
Old 11-20-2018, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleplucker View Post
The Ditto pedals have a terrible track record. I have an x2 and an x4 that are useless bricks now. Do a google search and you will see. When they work, they work exactly as designed, but they are not reliable.
I replaced those with the EH 720. It's cheaper and it works perfectly ( so far).
I too have a non functioning TC Ditto x2. Lasted maybe a year and a half. Never buy another TC product. I stupidly chose to ignore the reliability reports because it did what I needed. Regrets.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 11-21-2018, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
I too have a non functioning TC Ditto x2. Lasted maybe a year and a half. .
Oh dear, not good, thanks for letting me know.

Tommy Emmanuel
Old 11-21-2018, 06:34 AM

Meb, you are correct, although I only use it as a stop for the loop. I believe you can use an FS6 or FS7 that would add the additional functions. I have just spent a lot of time with the Play Acoustic vs the VE8 and for ease of use, you can't beat the VE8.
anyway, an extra foot switch is far cheaper than adding a looper into your signal chain if you only need occasional easy live looping.
Old 11-21-2018, 06:55 AM
Charter Member

My lgs has an FS-5U is stock, and I am picking it up today.
This solves my main concern about the VE-8.
Now, we will see how long it will take for me to get up the nerve to try
looping live.
Thanks.
Old 11-25-2018, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meb View Post
I am also seriously considering the Ditto x2.
Can anyone tell me the Ditto x2 battery life? It is not in the manual.
Is the 1-punch stop really a lot easier than the 2-punch on the regular
Ditto and the Boss VE-8, both of which I have.

I am very new to looping.

Thanks.
I tested mine and can't recall the exact duration, but is it was several hours; much longer than any conceivable gig length I could imagine. I use rechargeable lithium batteries and would only recommend them because in the end, you'd waste money on alkaline batteries.

FWIW, I have yet to have a problem with mine.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:03 AM

Could someone with a Flashback x4 please confirm the following:

It look to me that if I want to record a rhythm loop with delay to solo over, and then play back that loop but with no delay in my solo part then I can't without bending down and turning the delay level knob down.

..in other words when in looper mode you can't turn off a delay with your foot, correct?

Tommy Emmanuel
Old 11-26-2018, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Default LOOPERS

I have three different ones. My favorite by far is the RC-1. Given the fact it has a guide that always tells you where you are in the loop. Add an FS-5U footswitch and you can lay a loop down and stop it. Then bring it back for later use at any time. Also like the EHX 720 which is similar to the Ditto X2 but also has a fade out feature which is useful. The last is an RC-3. The ability to store loops is nice if you have premade drum loops you add to your performance. An RC-1 with an added footswitch is hard to beat. Given holiday sales coming up you can find them very reasonably priced and they sound great.
2014 American Standard Telecaster (Maple Board)Mystic Blue
2008 Fender American Standard Telecaster (Rosewood Board)
1994 Fender 40th Anniversary Stratocaster Caribbean Mist
2011 Martin JC-16RE 50TH Anniversary
2004 Martin J-15
2011 Gibson ES-335 Cherry Red
1993 Continental TriCone
Old 11-26-2018, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revy View Post
An RC-1 with an added footswitch is hard to beat.
Funnily enough Revy, this is likely what I will do. There is little choice for simple loopers with dual switch and control and I already have a Boss FS-6 which is compatible with the RC1. No discount on them over here even during 'Cyber Monday' sales, but keeping an eye on Ebay...

Tommy Emmanuel

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification