The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-17-2018, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Not until they start putting speed bevels on them standard, they aren’t.
Not to pile on Scott, but as feedback, I also agree with a Brendan. I’m not a “hot” player and really like the speed bevel offered on BlueChip picks. I’m pretty handy, but appreciate the perfectly uniform bevels put on all corners of the BC picks.
Old 11-17-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
In my experience (no offense intended), almost every hot player I know does their own beveling. That way you're able to dial in exactly what you want. There are some great tutorials on AGF and also all over the internet. It's easy, fun, and a great acquired skill.
Yep. AGF's own Silly Moustache has some great tutorials on this very thing. He's a wonderful resource for all kinds of guitar-related things.

- John Shedd
Old 11-17-2018, 02:33 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank View Post
RE: Charmed Life ...... totally agree with brencat.
Bren & Hank, just wanted to assure you there's no sense of "piling on" on my end. I always tell CLP players to be honest in their opinions and assessment, even if it's a quote "negative" review. How else does one learn new things?

Please forgive me if the following sounds like promotion; I don't mean it as such. I always like to give AGF members as much information as possible.

In Vespel, CLP works below 1.0 mm. When I first researched the market four years ago, I was literally stunned that no boutique picker makers were addressing the thin pick market. Really? No one? They completely ignored it (and still do). I myself play in the general range from 1.15 - 2.0 mm. However, the largest pick market on the planet, by far, is below 1.0 mm. Most average or beginning players prefer a pick with flex, as it's much more forgiving of playing errors. My guess is the Fender Medium (.68 mm) is the single most popular guitar pick on the planet. I can't imagine the millions they sell every year. And that's a thin pick.

I would assume most of us would agree that from .90 mm down to, say, .60 mm the law of diminishing returns kicks in as regards bevels.

I'm happy that other folks like RB and BC (and now even Primetone) offer bevels. I think it's great. But no one can be all things to all people. My view is it gives consumers clear choices on what picks to buy. So, as the French say, vive la difference.

And no, guys, honest, I don't feel piled on or singled out. If I had thin skin, I'm in the wrong business.

Thanks,

Scott Memmer

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 11-17-2018 at 02:47 PM.
Old 11-17-2018, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Bren & Hank, just wanted to assure you there's no sense of "piling on" on my end. I always tell CLP players to be honest in their opinions and assessment, even if it's a quote "negative" review. How else does one learn new things?

Please forgive me if the following sounds like promotion; I don't mean it as such. I always like to give AGF members as much information as possible.

In Vespel, CLP works below 1.0 mm. When I first researched the market four years ago, I was literally stunned that no boutique picker makers were addressing the thin pick market. Really? No one? They completely ignored it (and still do). I myself play in the general range from 1.15 - 2.0 mm. However, the largest pick market on the planet, by far, is below 1.0 mm. Most average or beginning players prefer a pick with flex, as it's much more forgiving of playing errors. My guess is the Fender Medium (.68 mm) is the single most popular guitar pick on the planet. I can't imagine the millions they sell every year. And that's a thin pick.

I would assume most of us would agree that from .90 mm down to, say, .60 mm the law of diminishing returns kicks in as regards bevels.

I'm happy that other folks like RB and BC (and now even Primetone) offer bevels. I think it's great. But no one can be all things to all people. My view is it gives consumers clear choices on what picks to buy. So, as the French say, vive la difference.

And no, guys, honest, I don't feel piled on or singled out. If I had thin skin, I'm in the wrong business.

Thanks,

Scott Memmer
Thank you, Scott, for meeting the needs of us thinner pick players. I love my CL picks and am grateful to have found you. Blue Chips are obviously great picks but, as you said, no one can be all things to all people.
Old 11-17-2018, 06:49 PM
AGF Sponsor

No offense to anyone, but I'd like to turn this thread back to celebrating Blue Chip. It's beginning to look like a Charmed Life hijack, which was not my intent.

Blue Chip is a company I've always looked up to. I don't think most people realize how great their customer service is. That, to me, is the hallmark of a great company, and they certainly deliver the goods. I'd check with them, but I'm almost positive they offer free shipping every year from Thanksgiving to New Years.

Interesting thread.

scott
Old 11-18-2018, 06:37 AM

You don't need to bevel a pick.

If you play it long enough, it will bevel itself.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 11-18-2018, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

But no one can be all things to all people. My view is it gives consumers clear choices on what picks to buy. So, as the French say, vive la difference.

Scott Memmer
Hi Scott. I remember a couple years ago when you made your big push here on AGF that I asked you about speed bevels and vaguely recall you responding "we're not there yet." When I responded to Maury yesterday, I didn't even realize your target market was on the 'thinner than a BlueChip TD-35 equivalent (0.89mm)'.

I'm not sure that speed bevels are as important with thinner picks, but there is a HUGE difference in the feel and playability when you use something like a TD-45 (1.15mm) or TD-50 (1.25mm) which is what I'm using these days.

You are wise to target an underserved market.

All the best -- B

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 11-18-2018, 10:54 AM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OM4rnxziq_c

youtube great resource.
Old 11-18-2018, 05:04 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Hi Scott. I remember a couple years ago when you made your big push here on AGF that I asked you about speed bevels and vaguely recall you responding "we're not there yet." When I responded to Maury yesterday, I didn't even realize your target market was on the 'thinner than a BlueChip TD-35 equivalent (0.89mm)'.

I'm not sure that speed bevels are as important with thinner picks, but there is a HUGE difference in the feel and playability when you use something like a TD-45 (1.15mm) or TD-50 (1.25mm) which is what I'm using these days.

You are wise to target an underserved market.

All the best -- B
Bren, thanks for your post. Please feel free to contact me via email or PM if you'd like to continue this discussion. I love those kinds of chats. This is a Blue Chip thread, and they are a company for whom I have so much respect. I'd prefer to return the focus to them and any possible holiday promotions.

As I stated in my first post in this thread, I'm pretty sure BC offers free shipping on every order from Thanksgiving through the end of the year. I can tell you, folks, if you had any idea how much that material costs, you'd be amazed they still have their doors open.

Wonderful products, superb customer service.

sm
Old 11-18-2018, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

There are some nice AGF links for self beveling here:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=359386
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=448930
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=465294
Old 11-19-2018, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Just a random thought here....

When you are making a premium boutique product with a stellar reputation, hand made from a VERY expensive material, and (probably) selling all the units that you can make, where exactly is the incentive to have a sale? The key ring and engraving are nice bonus touches to clinch the deal, but you were a likely customer anyway.
Here is an example of why a boutique company would benefit from having a sale:

I have 2 Blue Chip picks and love them. I thought about buying 3 of my family members a personalized pick for Christmas. My only issue is that I've already bought them something and don't want to spend a fortune on 3 picks. If Blue Chip puts out a sale, I'm about 95% certain I'll order picks for everyone. However, at full price, I have no incentive to do it anytime soon because I can get them anytime.

Sales help persuade impulse buys. That alone should be incentive to have a sale.
Old 11-19-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaurysMusic View Post
Blue Chip on sale = forum sponsor Charmed Life, no? 😎
My reason for BC is they offer thumbpicks (amazing thumbpicks!) I e-mailed Charmed Life about if they would ever put them in their line and never got a reply
Old 11-19-2018, 05:29 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
Here is an example of why a boutique company would benefit from having a sale:

I have 2 Blue Chip picks and love them. I thought about buying 3 of my family members a personalized pick for Christmas. My only issue is that I've already bought them something and don't want to spend a fortune on 3 picks. If Blue Chip puts out a sale, I'm about 95% certain I'll order picks for everyone. However, at full price, I have no incentive to do it anytime soon because I can get them anytime.

Sales help persuade impulse buys. That alone should be incentive to have a sale.
Shades, just to clarify. As someone as works with the same material, I can tell you that their margins are razor slim and it is unlikely for them to offer a promo because they will lose money.

The material they use costs $1100 for a 10" x 10" x .25" square. And no, that's not a phony number. You can call a DuPont distributor today and get the same price. They probably get a little off the top, but nothing more than probably 10%. DuPont has a lock on the market and is not in business to give money away.

Unless your name starts with Boeing or Lockheed or Northrup, don't expect a discount.

From Inside the War Zone,

scott memmer
Old 11-19-2018, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Shades, just to clarify. As someone as works with the same material, I can tell you that their margins are razor slim and it is unlikely for them to offer a promo because they will lose money.

The material they use costs $1100 for a 10" x 10" x .25" square. And no, that's not a phony number. You can call a DuPont distributor today and get the same price. They probably get a little off the top, but nothing more than probably 10%. DuPont has a lock on the market and is not in business to give money away.

Unless your name starts with Boeing or Lockheed or Northrup, don't expect a discount.

From Inside the War Zone,

scott memmer

That was just an example covering why a company would want to offer discounts to persuade impulse buys. Thanks for the info. I know that margins aren’t the same for every company, so just giving an example to the question I was posed.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
You don't need to bevel a pick.

If you play it long enough, it will bevel itself.

Yeah, but with a Blue Chip I’d be 90.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Fender Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Standard

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion