The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-26-2018, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonersfanru2 View Post
what dealer carries EASTMAN in Oklahoma?
Edmond Music on Broadway. Pretty good selection.
Old 10-27-2018, 11:58 AM

Nice guitar!! Enjoy!!
Old 10-27-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbuhl View Post
Nice guitar!! Enjoy!!
I am! Haven’t had a lot of time to play this week (except whitely, after the kids went to bed). Got her out a bit ago and put her through the paces with a pick in standard, drop D and DADGAD.

I am so very, very pleased with this guitar. I have missed that sweet spot of tone (for my ears) that “mahogany” and spruce bring in a 000/OM. This one, for whatever reason, makes me much happier than the 000-18 I had a few years back (though I’ll conceded that compared to others I’ve played since, mine might have been a dud). It just HAS it...that ample bass, sweet travels, and mids that simple sing! I am about as happy as a pig eating slop!
Old 11-12-2018, 07:02 AM

Even though the factory strings still had a good bit of life left, I got the urge to change them up this weekend, so I put a set of Martin Retro LJ’s on her. I have a love/hate relationship with these strings...I either love them on the guitar (rare) or hate them (usual)...but on this guitar, they sound great. I didn’t even experience the dreaded “give them a few weeks” break in. From go, they worked. Strong fundamental, clear tone, and the mediums didn’t choke the tone at all.

I’m continue to be extremely pleased with this little bargain.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:52 AM

You walked in at just the right time! Seems like a fantastic find. Sounds like it might encourage you to make some more time for playing, too. Enjoy!
Old 11-12-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele_Eddie View Post
You walked in at just the right time! Seems like a fantastic find. Sounds like it might encourage you to make some more time for playing, too. Enjoy!
For sure, Eddie! I’m really thankful it turned out the way it did. It was a blessing in the midst of a lot of change. Very grateful.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:06 AM

Default November 19 Update: added video clip to original post

I added a video clip to the original post for anyone looking for an example of what this guitar sounds like.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

Hi Treenewt, I'm very late to this thread, after clicking your signature link from another. Congrats, sounds like a great guitar and value for the money is phenomenal!

Just wondering though...what happened to your D-18 (don't see it in the sig anymore) ?

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 11-21-2018, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Yeah I was wondering about the D-18 as well. Just curious Matt...did you get a chance to play one of the thermo-cured Adi topped Eastman's? Been hearing great things about those guitars...

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 12-06-2018, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
It’s been a while since I had a NGD post. I honestly wasn’t planning on buying another guitar for quite a while. Life has changed (a lot) and I no longer play as often as I used to. But I still love the acoustic, and I’ve missed having an OM, which over the past few years become my favorite body style by far.

Last week, I dropped by a local music store just to kick tires. They were unboxing a brand new Eastman E1OM as I walked in. The clerk messed up and told me it was an E10OM, which I realized was wrong as soon as I got it in my hands. But I wasn’t upset. I had been hoping to run across one of these new "bargain" models.

Quite honestly, I've never played an Eastman with mahogany or sapele that did anything for me, so I wasn't expecting much. I decided to give it a try.

Boy, I’m glad I did.

I tuned her up and gave a strum...oh my! What came out was what I consider the quintessential Mahogany and spruce OM/000 tone: balanced, punchy, clear...and rich. Ahhhh...how I had missed the sound of this perfect wood combo and body shape. It truly hits the sweet-spot, for me, at least.

I sat in a little side nook and put her through her paces. Flatpicking, the notes rang clear and true. Not a lot of overtones...just nice, dry mahogany clarity. But rich...full...round. Not thin at all. Fingerpicking, sweet and clear. Up the neck and cowboy chords just put a smile on my face. Strumming, I've learned to control my right hand a lot over the years, but as I dug in, it kept giving.

Several times, customers walked by to ask what brand of guitar I was playing. They weren't asking because of my playing...they were asking because it sounded so right, even with my hacking.

I asked them to hold it for me, so I could ask my wife about it and not put her on the spot by calling from the store. I actually chickened out the next day, and called and told them I couldn't do it. Then I had a change of heart. I told my bride that, if it was still there on Monday, I was going to pull the trigger. It was simply too dang good to pass up at $459. I called them, and to my suprise, it was still there. Turns out they forgot to put it back on the floor on Saturday! Bully for me!

On to the guitar itself, the top is actually quite tight-grained sitka, with a bit of bear-claw going on, and some nice silking. Some waviness in the grain, but not much. Gloss finish on top, and it really makes the silking stand out. Nice tortoise-style binding on the top AND back (many makers cut corners and only bind the top now at this price point and even above). The sapele back and sides are actually quite even and beautiful. They're finished in an open-pore (i.e. no filler) finish, which isn't as nice as satin, but doesn't bother me. Heck, maybe that's one of the reasons it sounds so dang good!

The neck is one of the things I always loved about the Eastmans I had before. Nice, full c-shaped neck. Not too big, not too thin. Felt like home from the get-go. No issues with intonation up and down the neck...seriously, it was spot-on. The ebony fretboard and bridge are beautiful. Can I say thank you CITIES for this one? Becase you know we wouldn't be seeing ebony on this price point were it not for RW restrictions. The headplate is simply gorgeous to me, with a bit of lighter brown striping mixed in with the dark black of the ebony. AND it's a gloss headstock, which makes it look fantastic to me.

I had not seen Eastman's new pickguard design in person, and I am more than thrilled. Their old, pixelated pickguards were thin and ugly, IMHO, but the new ones are quite Greven-esque and attractive. Not beveled, but still a big upgrade.

The neck has a stacked heel and a scarf-joint for the headstock. The neck acutally has some wild figuring on it, but not uniform enough to make it truly "figuring" and get placed on a nicer guitar.

It's quite clean, as well. Nice fit and finish. Looking forward to taking a gander at the bracing when I change strings down the road. All in all, it is a phenomenal spruce/sapele 000 and I'm thrilled to be able to take care of it for a while.

I've downsized my collection quite a bit, and I'm not playing as much as I used to, but this little git may change that. I have a joy when I pick it up, and I don't want to put it down. I haven't really had that in a really long time. It felt good to experience it again. And not caring about the name or the price tag felt good, too. I can't justify having really nice guitars at this season of life, and have moved quite a few for monetary needs. Just being happy that I am able to play an incredible sounding and feeling instrument makes me smile. This one makes me feel like I have a top-tier OM at an incredible price.

Update: added Video clip

Man, if I could find one that sounded like that, I'd buy it today!

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 12-06-2018, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Man, if I could find one that sounded like that, I'd buy it today!
Jamie, I’ve only played this one, but have heard of similar luck with a few folks here and on the Eastman forum. It’s a fantastic guitar at any price.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
Jamie, I’ve only played this one, but have heard of similar luck with a few folks here and on the Eastman forum. It’s a fantastic guitar at any price.
What did you mean by you wanted to say thank you to CITIES in the original post?

Also I see on your channel you have played with a Larrivee, can you compare it with the Eastman? Are Larrivees overbuilt and heavy feeling?
Old 12-06-2018, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedar. View Post
What did you mean by you wanted to say thank you to CITIES in the original post?

Also I see on your channel you have played with a Larrivee, can you compare it with the Eastman? Are Larrivees overbuilt and heavy feeling?
As I understand it, they made the move to put ebony fretboards, bridges and face plates on their guitars instead of rosewood (on the lower end models) due to cITIES restrictions on RW.

As to Larrivee vs Eastman, I loved the two Larrivee I had. The necks were so dang thin, though! I never felt like they were overbuilt. They were both extremely responsive instruments (L-03 and OM-40). I’ve owned 4 Eastmans before this one. This one is the best I’ve owned by far. It’s giving me gas for an E10D in the worst kinda way.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:13 PM

Absolutely fantastic post. Now I really want to try an Eastman!

It also seems like you have a great other band member in that video.

D.
Orangewood Oliver Jr. Mahogany
Gretsch Jim Dandy and...
Old 12-06-2018, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebrot View Post
Absolutely fantastic post. Now I really want to try an Eastman!

It also seems like you have a great other band member in that video.

D.
Thanks man! Glad you enjoyed it! And yes, my boy is a trip. He and his sisters are such a blessing to me. His big sis is learning Ukelele, piano and guitar (she’s taken over my Alavarez parkour), and my middle child is a singing machine. I’m bksssed, that’s for sure.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion