The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-14-2018, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
I'm right with ya, I was 23 and she was/is (presumably still) gorgeous. It was a good show.

That guy slayed as the Air Force General in "War Games". Great lines.
Great movie War Games. It’s a riot to check out the old school computer tech in that movie from the early 80’s I think. “Floppy discs?” We don’t need no stinking floppy discs anymore! 😂
Old 11-14-2018, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadcutter View Post
Just a side note here. Some may not know that Barry Corbin, aka “Maurice” from Northern Exposure, plays a very funny and entertaining character named Dale on Netflix’s “The Ranch,” which is a pretty good show on it’s own merit btw. Corbin’s character Dale plays the part of the local vet and he’s a hoot. Corbin has gotten old, fat, and bald (hey, who hasn’t?) but his acting skills haven’t diminished one bit. You can still see flashes of ol’ Maurice in his character Dale too. If you haven’t checked out “The Ranch” starring Sam Elliot in the lead role, I highly recommend it.
Best episode with Dale was the one where he was helping Colt to inseminate a cow.

I have secret crushes on all the main female characters over the age of 45. Debra Winger is better looking to me now than when she was in Urban Cowboy.

I was a diehard Northern Exposure fan too. John Corbett's character was my favorite. Then he went and did My Big Fat Greek Wedding and Sex and The City and lost all cred with me.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:11 PM
Charter Member

That was a good show. I really liked the first couple of seasons.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 11-14-2018, 09:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Great movie War Games. It’s a riot to check out the old school computer tech in that movie from the early 80’s I think. “Floppy discs?” We don’t need no stinking floppy discs anymore! 😂
So great. My kids, who normally have no tolerance for dated movies both loved it. Just a great story, well directed, with great acting.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:13 PM

Hard to believe it’s been 28 years since Season 1 Episode 1 of Northern Exposure hit our TV screens. 1990, wow. WAY before cellphones that’s for sure. Recall in the pilot Joel searching desperately in Holling’s bar for a pay phone. Ha! And I remember that was the first time we saw Maurice’s BAD gold 1960 Cadillac El Dorado with tail fins that made it look like it was going to blast off into outer space. What a great car for an ex astronaut! I’m really pining to watch NE again. I may just have to spring for the 140 bucks for the entire DVD collection on Amazon. My wife would pitch a fit, but hey, “ I don’t smoke, drink or chew or hang around with folks who do” as the saying goes so if my big crime in life is blowing 140 bucks on the NE DVD set, well, I guess that ain’t so bad is it? 😂
Old 11-15-2018, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoreline Music View Post
Music rights.

The producers said at the outset that their musical choices—heck, Chris in the Morning would speak explicitly about the songs he was about to play—are too intricately woven into the DNA of the show, and they would never settle for Muzak replacements. That means that the rights would be just too expensive.

I'm glad I have the first two seasons from the initial DVD release. Amazing show.

For what it's worth, it's the exact same story with Ed, another great show from a slightly more recent vintage.

You'd think with the opportunity of bringing in a new audience for one of the best American shows ever, the rights holders would find a way to cut a deal. But it's just not on anyone's radar anymore.
Another one of my favorite shows affected by the music rights issue is “Frank’s Place.”
Old 11-15-2018, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silurian View Post
It was popular on this side of the pond too. Great show.
As it was over this side too. Essential viewing.

Martin D-28
Maton EA808 Australian
Maton EBG808 Performer
Cole Clark FL2-12
Suzuki Kiso J200
Old 11-15-2018, 06:47 AM
Charter Member

Well, there's always this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w3crssdCCw
Old 11-16-2018, 09:06 PM
Charter Member

So we had our first major snow storm of the year here (MA) yesterday. About 8 inches where I am. Just as we sat down to watch a little tube the flakes really started to fly. I immediately thought of this thread and we've been binge watching our N.E. Season I/II DVDs since. Haven't watched it in many years. What a freaking GREAT show. Oh, and yes... Janine Turner... dang!
Guilds: 69 F312 Braz, 89 Nightbird II, 91 Nightbird CU, 94 GV70, 96 A50 flattop, 06 CO1 Cedar, 11 F30CE, 13 CS F30R Reno Star, 14 GSR F30CE Coco, Orpheum OM RW, Orpheum SS Hog. SOLD: Guilds: 78 F40,79 F112,’87 GF60R,94 DV72,07 CS F47 Braz,11 DD6MCE,12 F30,12 F30R,18 F2512. Other: 70 Epi 5102,74 Ibanez LesPaul,90 Gibson ES347,15 Alvarez MFA70,15 Martin OM28VTS,15 Epi ES339Pro,16 Alvarez AF60
Old 11-17-2018, 01:18 AM

Quote:
I think you can get the entire DVD set on Amazon if you’ve a mind to. That’ll be $140.00. Thank you very much.

I watched this (in the UK) back when it was broadcast. A quick look on Amazon.co.uk shows the 6 series DVD set at £39.99.
Old 11-17-2018, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magirus View Post
I watched this (in the UK) back when it was broadcast. A quick look on Amazon.co.uk shows the 6 series DVD set at £39.99.
How much is that in U.S. dollars?
Old 11-17-2018, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyMikey View Post
So we had our first major snow storm of the year here (MA) yesterday. About 8 inches where I am. Just as we sat down to watch a little tube the flakes really started to fly. I immediately thought of this thread and we've been binge watching our N.E. Season I/II DVDs since. Haven't watched it in many years. What a freaking GREAT show. Oh, and yes... Janine Turner... dang!
Cool Mikey! The perfect combination: first snow of the year and Northern Exposure. Hell yeah! And I just recently found out through casual conversation with a coworker that he had the entire NE DVD collection and he loaned them to me and I will commence watching Season I this weekend. We got a lot of snow here in Upstate NY as well so I don’t feel too guilty about hunkering down with the Northern Expodure gang this weekend. As you said “ A GREAT freaking show!” Couldn’t agree more Mikey.
Old 11-17-2018, 08:40 AM

Quote:
I think you can get the entire DVD set on Amazon if you’ve a mind to. That’ll be $140.00. Thank you very much.
Just checked, my local library has all six seasons on DVD.
Old 11-17-2018, 08:20 PM

I loved Northern Exposure. I warched it at a time when there was a huge life change for me. Brings back some great memories.
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 11-17-2018, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Hard to believe it’s been 28 years since Season 1 Episode 1 of Northern Exposure hit our TV screens. 1990, wow. WAY before cellphones that’s for sure. Recall in the pilot Joel searching desperately in Holling’s bar for a pay phone. Ha! And I remember that was the first time we saw Maurice’s BAD gold 1960 Cadillac El Dorado with tail fins that made it look like it was going to blast off into outer space. What a great car for an ex astronaut! I’m really pining to watch NE again. I may just have to spring for the 140 bucks for the entire DVD collection on Amazon. My wife would pitch a fit, but hey, “ I don’t smoke, drink or chew or hang around with folks who do” as the saying goes so if my big crime in life is blowing 140 bucks on the NE DVD set, well, I guess that ain’t so bad is it? 😂
Um, thanks! Now I really feel old lol
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic