The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 10-10-2018, 07:02 AM

I completely agree with you, Rockabilly. I really liked mine, do wish Id kept it! I played monels on mine too. These new Epi archtop models are way more Mother Maybelle than Freddie Green, but Mother Maybelle is more to my musical tastes, so it works fine for me.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmr View Post
I completely agree with you, Rockabilly. I really liked mine, do wish Id kept it! I played monels on mine too. These new Epi archtop models are way more Mother Maybelle than Freddie Green, but Mother Maybelle is more to my musical tastes, so it works fine for me.
Just got mine back from my local luthier who is outstanding. It was good before I sent it to him, but now the action is sublime. I can hardly put it down. He recut the nut, leveled some frets a bit, and reshaped the archtop base to perfectly fit the top. He did tell me that I would enjoy it more with medium strings instead of the lights, but my hands can't take the abuse
Old 10-11-2018, 06:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Hi Silly,
Another great conversion! These older low-dollar ply archtops are perfect instruments for use as octave mandos.

Here's the Youtube demo of my Kay conversion. I found a take-off Taylor GS Mini neck that served as a quick and easy conversion.

https://youtu.be/fXlbFMIsDgA
Hi Rudy,
Great sound on your Kay - with a Taylor neck? What scale length?

BTW - the Hofner is not a ply top -solid and carved. 25" scale.

https://www.youtube.com/user/SillyMoustache/videos
Old 10-12-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi Rudy,
Great sound on your Kay - with a Taylor neck? What scale length?

BTW - the Hofner is not a ply top -solid and carved. 25" scale.
The Taylor neck was purchased cheap on Reverb as a "take off". It was from a GS Mini that has a 23-1/2" scale length neck. I narrowed the neck, drilled 2 new tuner holes between the existing holes and installed a new head stock overlay. I also found a like new set of tuners on e-bay that someone took off a GS Mini when upgrading the tuners.

All the other details of the conversion are present at the web archive of my old website although the photos aren't there:

http://web.archive.org/web/201603281...pageMando.html
Old 10-18-2018, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
what do you think...

Nice looking guitar. But I hope the owner of the credit/debit card in this pic realises they may have compromised their bank details. I can't quite make out the numbers.....but people with better eyesight.............................

Last edited by Frankieabbott; 10-18-2018 at 05:09 AM.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:17 AM
Charter Member

Love Gillian and Dave, the `Harrow and the Harvest` album is superb. Dave Rawling`s accompaniment is as good as it gets.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Hi Silly,
Another great conversion! These older low-dollar ply archtops are perfect instruments for use as octave mandos.

Here's the Youtube demo of my Kay conversion. I found a take-off Taylor GS Mini neck that served as a quick and easy conversion.

https://youtu.be/fXlbFMIsDgA
Sounds great. Nice picking.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops