The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF For Sale - Rest of World (outside US)

Old 03-21-2024, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Crowe View Post
Hi all. I have had a few beautiful acoustics ranging from a Furch to a Sobell/Bown etc. I have come to the conclusion that 3-4K is the sweet spot for me in terms of quality/tone etc.
I have also found the tone I'm looking for. Unfortunately its Tom Bukovak's 1938 Martin 000-18. Here is a short clip-

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxG3mRtje...BhkxZYoV_gdRWN

Question is- which guitar might get close for under 4K?
Would love to hear people's opinion or suggestions. Especially if you have something you think might fit the bill.
Many thanks
Ben

Martin 000-18GE? I remember seeing one in the UK for just over £2k. I regret not buying it myself at the time. I imagine their prices are more now, but should still fall within your budget.
Old 03-24-2024, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

For my money, if you could find an old SCGC that was voiced by McAlister, it would fit your needs and your price range. It should also look old, no?
Old 03-25-2024, 08:43 AM

Default Old dry Martin sound for under 4K. Any advice/wisdom appreciated

I have a Collings OM1TS - traditional build, torrified top with satin finish which comes close to my memory of a 1920 00021 I played once. Ok it's different B&S, however the Collings has that dry-ish and articulate openness that the Martin had.

Never had the opportunity to try and old Martin against the Collings though.

List price of the Collings is well over 4k, however, you might be lucky with a second-hand pre-loved one?

Or start saving!

All the best

Cheers, Colin

Last edited by Voxbox30; 03-31-2024 at 10:47 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF For Sale - Rest of World (outside US)