The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-22-2020, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

Another vote for Patriot as a fun, quirky spy drama. How can you go wrong with a show that starts with a guy playing a funny song on a Cole Clark Fat Lady?!?

Prime music is free with Prime and is an okay music streaming service but I still chose to go with a different streaming service.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:17 AM

Bosh is a great show. Basically everything everyone mentioned so far. I’ve been a prime subscriber since before there was prime video. Had just for the free shipping, since living in Hawaii, free shipping is a must. Then prime video came along and it was a hell of a bonus.

The wonderful Mrs. Maizel is great if you like witty and smart humor with strong female lead character.
Old 10-22-2020, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
I've got Prime. I enjoyed the Jack Ryan series. I'm also a fan of Bosch, The Expanse, and The Man In The High Castle. I don't know anything about Prime Music.
Thanks Cat. I just added those three shows to my list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Pert View Post
You can get lost for days in their music documentaries. There are so many excellent ones.
Excellent. I just did a search added the making of the Number of the Beast (Iron Maiden) to my list. Looks like I'll have to search for some good music documentaries.
Old 10-22-2020, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Absolutely wonderful stuff. Verlon is a national treasure!
He really is. He is a great player. I thought every episode of Barnegie Hall was excellent. There wasn't a dud in the bunch.

Last edited by loco gringo; 10-23-2020 at 08:30 AM.
Old 10-23-2020, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco gringo View Post
If you like song writing and acoustic guitars, watch Barnegie Hall. It is Verlon Thompson with a different song writer on every episode. It is outstanding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Absolutely wonderful stuff. Verlon is a national treasure!
Yeah, Barnegie Hall is terrific! I forgot it was on Prime. And, I'd argue that Verlon is not only a national, but an international treasure having not been everywhere yet, but darn close to it.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 10-23-2020, 11:05 AM

I fully agree that Bosch and Jack Ryan are excellent. My wife has watched a lot of Mrs. Maisel and liked it. I enjoyed Strike Back (the first three seasons were the only ones on Prime when I watched--I believe it's a Cinemax original). My wife and I watched all 6 million episodes of McLeod's Daughters and enjoyed a lot of them, but it is very soap opera-ish. My wife has checked out a number of Prime movies too, but I have no idea which ones.

"May you stay forever young."-Dylan
Old 10-23-2020, 01:31 PM

Law & Order Criminal Intent was my favorite of that series. I added it to my list. X-Files also added.
Old 10-24-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco gringo View Post
If you like song writing and acoustic guitars, watch Barnegie Hall. It is Verlon Thompson with a different song writer on every episode. It is outstanding.
Thank you so much for posting this!

I'd never heard of him but after watching the shows then researching him I've come to find he wrote many songs I really like!

I was watching an episode yesterday and had a funny thought; If someone came into this show in the middle without knowing the premise or who these players are, they might think it's just a couple of guys playing covers of songs "they heard on the radio." The songs are familiar but the voices sure aren't!

I now know these are the songwriters who created these wonderful songs, but since I'm not a follower of the songwriters themselves, I had no idea who wrote the songs I've loved over the years.

It's a wonderful show and I hope more episodes will be made.

Thank you again,
PJ
Old 10-24-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojeep View Post
Thank you so much for posting this!

I'd never heard of him but after watching the shows then researching him I've come to find he wrote many songs I really like!

I was watching an episode yesterday and had a funny thought; If someone came into this show in the middle without knowing the premise or who these players are, they might think it's just a couple of guys playing covers of songs "they heard on the radio." The songs are familiar but the voices sure aren't!

I now know these are the songwriters who created these wonderful songs, but since I'm not a follower of the songwriters themselves, I had no idea who wrote the songs I've loved over the years.

It's a wonderful show and I hope more episodes will be made.

Thank you again,
PJ
I don't know if you have seen the episode with Shawn Camp yet. He wrote a lot of songs with Guy Clark. He does the song, "Magnolia Wind", which he co-wrote with Guy Clark, on the show. It was amazing.

I didn't know who he was, so I started researching him after I watched that episode. This led me to The Earls Of Leicester. Shawn is the lead vocalist and the guitar player. The other players are some pretty heavy hitters. If you are a fan of old time music, they are worth checking out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppIMpr8UbRk
Old 10-26-2020, 07:04 AM

3rd Rock from the Sun - what a great show. John Lithgow and the rest of the cast were outstanding.
Old 10-26-2020, 07:05 AM

My wife and I watched "Borat" the other day. I can't say much more and stay within forum rules. It made Blazing Saddles look rated G.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
My wife and I watched "Borat" the other day. I can't say much more and stay within forum rules. It made Blazing Saddles look rated G.
The original or sequel?
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 10-27-2020, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
The original or sequel?
The sequel. TBH I haven't seen the original; the trailer didn't appeal to me. Since this one was relevant to current events I watched it simply out of curiosity. It made me want to stay in my house, lock my doors, delete social media and ignore the news all the more.
Old 10-27-2020, 09:07 AM

I will forget about our subscriptions but I'm very proud of myself for getting a TV, sound system and Apple TV unit working last week. I've been able to do wide area networking, security admin, and server cluster management but not TVs or photocopiers beyond the on or off switch.

We watched the new Borat movie and got bored with the new Apple movie with Bill Murray but stopped when his face showed up.

My kids watch more of the Prime video than I do. I'll waste time watching YouTube but mostly like my nerd/news mashup I do.
Old 02-09-2021, 02:54 PM

I decided to give "The Man in the High Castle" a chance. Just partway through Episode 2 but it appears it's going to be a great show. I have no idea how many episodes / seasons there are but I'm going to watch it all.

No Spoilers!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic