Old 10-19-2020, 10:04 PM

Thumbs up for me.

Change of pace? Try This is Us...
Old 10-19-2020, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
Thumbs up for me.

Change of pace? Try This is Us...

I’m man enough to admit I’ve shed a tear or 10000 with that show.
Old 10-20-2020, 06:25 AM
Charter Member

I've been watching several series (that didn't make it) on HULU. Some interesting stuff including Chance with Hugh Laurie of House fame. Although Hugh Laurie is again an MD, it also features a very interesting and thoughtful role for Ethan Suplee who's usually typecast as a big dumb guy. Recent pix of him indicate that future roles will probably be as a big tough guy. Although the show only lasted two seasons, it's a great study on good vs. evil...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 11-20-2021 at 07:04 AM.
Old 10-20-2020, 07:13 AM

One of the best things about Sons of Anarchy is the music

Old 10-20-2020, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTA View Post
One of the best things about Sons of Anarchy is the music
Boy you can say that in spades the music supervisor did an excellent of getting the prosody of the video and music.

The death of Opie was a pivotal point in the story. and I have included this song in my personal set list rotation

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 10-20-2020, 08:36 AM

Good discussion here. I started SOA once and didn't get too far because I was disgusted by all the machismo posturing. Started watching it again later and ended up watching all the way through. Long series but in the end very well done character studies. Gemma was the biggest gangster of them all!

Agree that the music was excellent. I have the SOA playlist on my phone.

Also agree with the comment about This Is Us - great show and a tearjerker.
Old 10-20-2020, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

Agree on their excellent choice of music. This version of Forever Young blew me away. We actually used to perform this version at open mics. I'd hit a note to give her (wife,vocals) the start and she'd begin and the place would just go from noisy to instantly, completely silent.

Old 10-20-2020, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I liked it a lot even though the amount violence seemed not only a bit gratuitous at times and probably more in a season then even most 1% Bike gangs encounter in a decade. But fortunately I watch for entertainment so am not too critical on dramatic license ........

The only reason I can say this with a limited amount of knowledge is having both tended bar at a Biker Tavern (in my younger days age 21-22) and where for some reason the VP of the Portland Ore. Gypsy Jokers, decided he liked me and took mercy on me enough to designate me as hands off in terms of his club giving me a hard time while tending bar . And he even invited me to several club parties as a friend of the VP so I enjoyed a "leave be" status . I think maybe he may have liked that I did not try to act tuff or impress them and was simply myself.

He even told me about one money making scheme ( legal if of questionable ethics) Where the club would use club funds to buy a house (they had one member with a real estate license) , usually slightly below market value in a fairly low income neighborhood that was maybe just starting to trend up .
They would move in a few bachelor members with construction trade skills.
They would start to fix up the interior , yet all the while have numerous bikes and members hanging around outside working on bikes, playing music, and drinking etc. . Not always but often one or more of the adjacent houses would come up for sale usually below market, and they would then purchase those.
Once they had three or four houses they would finish fixing them up inside and out, then vacate members (often to a new purchase elsewhere) and then put the now nicely remodeled houses back on the market for a nice price mark up. As the VP said "we can't help it if peoples fear leads them to sell "

As for I suggestions have you watched Longmire ? Or Jack Ryan on Amazon ?
I've never seen Longmire nor do I know anything about it. From the pics it looks like it might be a western?

Jack Ryan in also on Amazon Prime Canada. I think I'm going to subscribe to Prime this week and that will be the first series I watch. Thanks for the recommendation, Kev.
Old 10-20-2020, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I've been watching several series (that didn't make it) on HULU. Some interesting stuff including Chance with Hugh Laurie of House fame. Although Hugh Laurie is again an MD, it also features a very interesting and thoughtful role for Ethan Suplee who's usually typecast as a big dumb guy. Recent pix of him indicate that future roles will probably be as a big tough guy. Although the show only lasted two seasons, it's a great study on good vs. evil...

He was Louie in Remember the Titans! Amazing transformation!
Old 10-20-2020, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I've never seen Longmire nor do I know anything about it. From the pics it looks like it might be a western?

Jack Ryan in also on Amazon Prime Canada. I think I'm going to subscribe to Prime this week and that will be the first series I watch. Thanks for the recommendation, Kev.
Longmire is modern western crime drama centered around the County Sheriff (named Walt Longmire ) of a fictional rural county in central Wyoming near an Indian Reservation
While look and feel of series is very much the flavor life in rural and small town Wyoming, like SOA, more crime takes place in three episodes than in three years in Wyoming.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 10-20-2020, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Longmire is modern western crime drama centered around the County Sheriff (named Walt Longmire ) of a fictional rural county in central Wyoming near an Indian Reservation
While look and feel of series is very much the flavor life in rural and small town Wyoming, like SOA, more crime takes place in three episodes than in three years in Wyoming.

It’s funny you mentioned the more crime part. I’ve worked in LE for 27 years this month and haven’t seen a 1/10 of the murders Ole Walt had to deal with. I still enjoyed it thoroughly!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 10-20-2020, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
He was Louie in Remember the Titans! Amazing transformation!
To paraphrase Rob Reiner's mother's memorable Katz Deli line in When Harry Met Sally, I'll have what he's eaten...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 11-20-2021 at 07:04 AM.
Old 10-21-2020, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
It’s funny you mentioned the more crime part. I’ve worked in LE for 27 years this month and haven’t seen a 1/10 of the murders Ole Walt had to deal with. I still enjoyed it thoroughly!
Yes I've lived in either Teton or Sublette county for 40 years now and can count on one hand , the number of murders can I recall ..... But I'm guessing week after week of arrests for DUI , bar fights, petty larceny, and chasing escaped cattle off the highway, would not make for as dramatic of episodes

Not a crime but , one thing we have occur bi annually (spring and fall) that often a deputy or two oversees, thats a bit different is This
You can just make out couple cowboys on horseback at the back of the drive

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 10-21-2020 at 07:39 AM.
Old 10-21-2020, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Thanks Kev. Think I'll pass for now.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:36 AM

I watched the show all the way through, but I have to say the last two or three seasons had the flavor of watching a train wreck in slow motion.

Great performances by most of the actors, particularly Charlie Hunnam, Katey Sagal, Kim Coates and Tommy Flanagan.

The show did a good job of showing the gray areas of life, with most of the Law Enforcement characters being as flawed as the bikers. I frankly cheered when Opie killed Agent Stahl, as she was as nasty and corrupt as the worst of the bad guys.

I did not like the final episode. Given all the carnage and grief Jax had caused in the lead up to the end (most of it un-necessary and based on false premises), I really wanted him to face justice in some way, whether that was through the legal system, at the hands of enemies or at the hands of his own club. Having him choose to commit suicide (and traumatizing that poor trucker in the process) just didn't cut the mustard for me. It felt like he was going out on his own terms, which he frankly didn't deserve.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic