The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-14-2020, 05:24 AM

Default Intermediate Classical Guitar

What are opinions out there on an intermediate level classical guitar? I play both with a pick and fingerstyle, but am not a classical player. It would be played more like a steel string, but not with a pick. It would be fingers only and maybe an occasional thumb pick (Chet Atkins like, but without his talent!). Not interested in a Taylor. I do not want built in electronics. Don't need them and I don't like the big squares cut out in the sides of many instruments.
Old 10-14-2020, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

I'm basically looking for the same thing and have about settled on the Pavan TP20 cutaway with NO electronics - about $1495, I think. I owned a TP30 a few years ago and it was a wonderful instrument and Tom Prisloe is great to work with. Also in the mix is a Kenny Hill New World Fingerstyle for about the same money - there's a 'B' stock one on Ebay with some strange 'bearclaw' in the top - probably doesn't hurt anything but kinda ugly. It's real hard to find a classical, especially a cutaway without electronics. If it was me, I'd get one without and add a K&K if I needed electronics.

If you don't want a cutaway, The Pavan is still a great guitar for the money and there's a couple (TP30) used on Reverb for around $1K.

Keep us posted on any good finds.
Old 10-14-2020, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

"Intermediate" is a vague term. A price range or approximate maximum price would be more specific.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 10-14-2020, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffanyGuitar View Post
I play both with a pick and fingerstyle, but am not a classical player. It would be played more like a steel string, but not with a pick. It would be fingers only and maybe an occasional thumb pick (Chet Atkins like, but without his talent!). Not interested in a Taylor. I do not want built in electronics. Don't need them and I don't like the big squares cut out in the sides of many instruments.
It sounds like you are describing a crossover nylon string guitar. Or at least, a crossover is something you should be considering based on your description. A crossover is a nylon stringer geared more towards steel string sensibilities. The fretboard is slightly radiused, and generally not as wide as a classical. They most often come with a cutaway. They're not as demanding of classical technique.
You can google crossover nylon string guitars and see what comes up.
You might want to check out Cervantes Crossover I models. They're reasonably priced and are good value for the money.
The Pavans and Kenny Hill brands mentioned above are also excellent guitars. The Pavans are straight classical guitars (I believe), whereas Kenny Hill also offers crossovers.
Good luck in your search.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 10-20-2020, 05:38 PM

Default Intermediate classical guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffanyGuitar View Post
What are opinions out there on an intermediate level classical guitar? I play both with a pick and fingerstyle, but am not a classical player. It would be played more like a steel string, but not with a pick. It would be fingers only and maybe an occasional thumb pick (Chet Atkins like, but without his talent!). Not interested in a Taylor. I do not want built in electronics. Don't need them and I don't like the big squares cut out in the sides of many instruments.
Checkout the Takamine C132S. Its a well built solid wood cedar top with rosewood. $1,099 which includes a well matched hard case.
Old 10-30-2020, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
"Intermediate" is a vague term. A price range or approximate maximum price would be more specific.
Intermediate can also pertain to the construction... Total solid woods for the back,side and top, or laminated back and sides with a solid top. What top wood? Spruce, cedar other? There is also the width of the neck at the nut and the radius. Now as to the type of wood used for the fret board, you prefer ebony or rosewood. A lot of luthiers / builders use both. Then there is how a builder categorizes (classifies) their guitars and how they price them, from a well known small shop you might get an intermediate (in their terms) with all solid woods, but the price is going to be way more expensive the an intermediate model coming from a factory along the Pacific Rim.

Now the real problem in purchasing a classical guitar even an intermediate one versus an intermediate level steel string guitar is the availability of models to play and try out in a "walk-in" store. Most "walk-in" stores in most towns have limited numbers. They don't make their nut on selling classical guitars. So the possible models they have are not even what one would consider an "intermediate" model. Most are beginner "student" models.

I'm partial to Burguet guitars. Since 1968, made in a small shop in Spain by Amalio Burguet, his son and daughter have now grown up and have joined him in the endeavor. The model I own a 1996 2M falls in the intermediate area. As far as I know a new 2020 2M can be had for just under 2-grand. But there are very few shops if any in the USA that carry them. You will have to purchase directly through Burguet or an overseas dealer in England or Germany.

I was lucky enough that when I bought mine there was a shop in my area that was a dealer and I was able to play that and several Japanese offerings. The latter ones although nice were also twice as much.

All I can say is take your time, sit and play them if you can, and Good Luck in your quest.

Last edited by Always Learning; 10-30-2020 at 12:18 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical