Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-24-2020, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

It'll be good to let David Bromberg sing Jerry Jeff on out;

Old 10-24-2020, 04:28 PM

https://www.google.com/amp/s/preview...s-15672095/amp
Old 10-24-2020, 05:04 PM
Anticipation Junkie

I watched the concert of the 50th anniversary of the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band filmed at the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville broadcasted on PBS where Jerry Jeff was a guest. Iirc, the outtakes at the end mentioned that JJ’s performance was on relatively short notice and he was very nervous to try and perform with the Dirt Band without the opportunity to rehearse. So, the DB suggested that he just come out and perform Mr. Bojangles solo and at one point they’d join in with him and transition to their rendition. This version isn’t from the film, but someone who filmed just the Bojangles excerpt. I’ve always loved both JJ’s and the DB’s versions of this song and was impressed the way this was handled. JJ seems to have had a real good time. RIP Mr. Walker!

Old 10-24-2020, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
He wrote Mr. Bojangles by the way. A true classic.
As David Bromberg put it, Jerry Jeff wasn’t in there (the drunk tank) on no research project.

RIP
Old 10-24-2020, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

JJW passes and Arlo retires. Man, the times are changing and the tides are turning. So many good ones going away.
Old 10-25-2020, 05:41 AM
Charter Member

Another great one passes through. Here’s a fun one. Recognize the sideman?

Old 10-25-2020, 01:27 PM

https://youtu.be/avWd9BAcNqU
Old 10-25-2020, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

Over 40 years ago a good friend introduced me to Jerry Jeff. We recently reconnected and I broke the news to him yesterday. At the time I didn’t know anything about country music and wasn’t sure I wanted to, it sure wasn’t cool in our circle. I was listening to a lot of jazz and a few rock bands at the time. Opening my ears to Jerry Jeff led me to Jimmy Buffett and Willie Nelson and Guy and Kris and Merle and Gordon Lightfoot and many other great storytellers. Thanks to JJF and my friend Bill.
Old 10-25-2020, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Most people don't know that he was from Upstate NY ...
Actually, I did. In fact, I was clued into this on the same day I saw him at Sand Mountain like 50 years ago...and this is sorta why I was taken aback when he appeared onstage with the whole cowboy glitz wardrobe: pearl snap button western shirt, fancy pointy-toe cowboy boots, big belt buckle, the whole shebang. Hadn't seen anything like it in person since I was a kid ogling Roy Rogers at the Heart of Texas Rodeo c. 1956 or so. Since 1969/70 was the era of bell bottom jeans, desert boots (or dingos), and tie-dye t-shirts, even in Texas, Jerry Jeff pretty much stood out. I seriously thought (1) he was making fun of the Texas hicks (me included), or (2) he was so new to the area that he thought everybody in Texas was supposed to dress that way and no one had clued him into reality, or (3) he was diving into a cultural transformation that I simply couldn't grok at the time. Note: option 3 didn't occur to me until much later. Not knowing whether I should take offense, I opted to look past the stage get-up and simply listen to his music. Turned out to be a good decision, for two reasons:

1. He played a Gibson western jumbo guitar that night - perfect to go along with his outfit - and I totally dug the way it sounded. First time I'd heard that powerhouse of a guitar played so well and in such close proximity. Sand Mountain wasn't huge and I don't think our table was 15 feet from the stage, maybe less.

2. His songs were captivating and his voice was, too. I came away with a huge appreciation for modern songwriting.

Remember, this was still a few years BEFORE he and the whole outlaw country crew settled into what would become the Austin sound. Wasn't always a big follower after his name got bigger. But as I hinted earlier, that night and his early songs made a lasting impression on me.

Also, I'm really sad that he has left us now. He will certainly be missed.

Cheers,

Dirk
Old 10-26-2020, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

If I remember correctly JJW, along with almost everybody back then, started out as a folkie. I think bojangles came out of that era. The grounding in folk music benefitted allot of musicians of the period.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 10-26-2020, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
Another great one passes through. Here’s a fun one. Recognize the sideman?

Tis a young Dave Bromberg.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 10-26-2020, 10:03 AM

"Texas on my Mind" is one of my favorites (written by his son, Django Walker) . It's from the "Gonzo Stew" album. I love that classic Jerry Jeff Walker vocal delivery.

Old 10-26-2020, 01:13 PM

Will never forget Jerry Jeff dedicating LA Freeway to Reggie Jackson after his big World Series against the Dodgers. Great show at DAR Constitution Hall. The Bromberg version of Mr Bojangles has always been my favorite.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 10-26-2020, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayheyjeff View Post
Will never forget Jerry Jeff dedicating LA Freeway to Reggie Jackson after his big World Series against the Dodgers. Great show at DAR Constitution Hall. The Bromberg version of Mr Bojangles has always been my favorite.

Jeff
On thing I alway really liked about him besides writing great songs, was ability to cover other peoples songs yet make them his own like LA Freeway.

His version of Night Riders Lament is my favorite version also

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 10-27-2020, 10:41 AM

I started listening to Jerry Jeff in 1975. Godspeed to a country legend. Lots of losses lately.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic