The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-25-2020, 11:02 PM

To me, a guitar without a cutaway looks boring, and plain. A cutaway gives you more curves and angles to appreciate, especially on the higher end custom built guitars.

I don't think there are any cons, except where Florentine cutaways can sometimes poke you with a sharp corner occasionally when you're not sitting still!!

In terms of sound gain/loss, I built my custom guitar at a special school several years ago. There were two other students there, and by some weird happenstance, we all chose an OM shape with Australian Blackwood for B&S, with Silver Quandong for the tops. The only physical differences between each guitars were in the cutaways and some bracing structure. One had a Florentine(Mine), another had a Venetian(with a shallower body), and the last one didn't have a cutaway.
The result? All three were absolute cannons in terms of volume & tone.
Blind tested, you could not tell which was which.
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 10-25-2020, 11:12 PM

Forget the cosmetics
If you play in the higher register frets
It's worth it because it gives easier access.
If you don’t go further than fifth fret
Cutaways are a stupid option!
Old 10-26-2020, 12:06 AM

Smile

I prefer non-cutaways. They look more symmetrical. But some models like the Taylor K24CE makes the cutaway look stylish. I only have 1 cutaway, my Faith Blood Moon. I think it is very nicely done.

The cutaway does maybe take away 5% of the loudness of the tone but it’s barely perceptible.
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 10-26-2020, 12:39 AM

Rarely get to play those high notes these days, so happy to stick with dreadnoughts. In times gone by a cutaway electro-acoustic would have added another dimension to performing live sets and I agree that there are some beautifully crafted cutaway guitars out there.
Old 10-26-2020, 04:41 AM

The only plus is the top register, but even though I never play in this register for a dread I prefer the cutaway look. I think the full body look is too country style ... and I find the cutaway gives a more rock look. On the other hand for a shape like the jumbo body or the smaller body with more rounded shapes I like these models without cutaway.
Old 10-26-2020, 04:53 AM

I never liked cutaways. I don't like the look of them nor do I need to play that high up on the neck. HOWEVER, I just purchased my Takamine GJ72CE 12-string and I think this guitar looks beautiful even with the cutaway. I still generally don't like them and think this one guitar is an exception.
Old 10-26-2020, 04:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguitar View Post
Hi,

Other than being able to access the upper frets, what are the pros and cons of a cutaway ?

Thanks!
Hi wg

Being able to reach higher frets more easily IS the function of a cutaway.

I know of no 'cons', as the tone of my cutaway guitar is as robust, pleasing and full as my non-cutaway instruments.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-26-2020, 05:52 AM

For me, a cutaway would be necessary only for a 12 fret join. I do not currently own a 12 fret guitar.

Otherwise it is what it is. I own one cutaway acoustic, my Taylor all mahogany 512ce L10 Grand Concert. It was born that way, and I bought it that way, so I hold no ill-will toward it. Most importantly it sounds and plays great. It is a Venetian cutaway, which looks good, but I think Florentine cutaways generally look better. Haven't seen a dread yet that looked good with a cutaway of any sort.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 10-26-2020 at 05:58 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion